$25 NLHE 6-max: First 30NL session, biggest pot of the session. Overplay?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was near the end of a 1k hand session. I probably shouldn't have been playing 6 tables in my first 30NL but I was lol. Before I get to the details here were my thoughts on the hand. My image was tight at this table only 150 hands in with like 15/10/2 stats so I look like a nit. I open KTcc UTG which is light but I have no problem folding to the 3 bet and I've been getting some respect. I understand this is borderline questionable. We flop super strong middle pair plus flush draw plus back door straight and an over card. I think we need to build a pot in this spot. So we lead at it and all hell breaks loose. I feel like short stack has Jx but as long as it's not KJ or JT I'm still ahead of SB. BB seems capped when he just flats and I really want to fold out his equity and attack his capped range. The risk here is if he flatted the Ace high flush draw somehow. I decide to jam our uncapped range here anyways. I feel like we are too strong to fold and I hate a flat here, if we miss turn then what? A set of 2s is scary here too but we decide to go for it. JJ should have 3 bet pre but maybe with my nit image it flats sometimes. Thoughts?
PokerStars - $0.30 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (UTG): 98.33 BB
MP: 109 BB
CO: 127.73 BB
BTN: 135.03 BB
SB: 35.93 BB 29/11/11 AF 3 (85 hands)
BB: 100 BB 24/20/6 AF 1 (58 hands)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K T

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, CO calls 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) J T 2
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 5.7 BB, CO calls 5.7 BB, SB raises to 32.93 BB and is all-in, BB calls 32.93 BB, Hero raises to 95.33 BB and is all-in, fold, BB calls 62.4 BB

Oh and Carlos, I know I should auto top off to 100 BB but I dont, I'm a recreational fish, leave me alone lol.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this is completely fine. Of course we are not thrilled about that flop action, but as you say, your hand is to strong to fold. You are only in really bad shape here, if you are up against someone with a better made hand and someone with the nut flushdraw. Of course there is also the risk of a side pot against BB, but unless he is really strong like a set, you are also in ok shape there. This is for sure a high variance spot, but maybe we solve that by using the all-in cash-out option, as I talked about in a previous post. Then we take home either a small loss or a small win, depending on what they flip over, and move on to the next hand.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Shoving Flop from EP vs ****y blinds players.

This was near the end of a 1k hand session. I probably shouldn't have been playing 6 tables in my first 30NL but I was lol. Before I get to the details here were my thoughts on the hand. My image was tight at this table only 150 hands in with like 15/10/2 stats so I look like a nit. I open KTcc UTG which is light but I have no problem folding to the 3 bet and I've been getting some respect. I understand this is borderline questionable. We flop super strong middle pair plus flush draw plus back door straight and an over card. I think we need to build a pot in this spot. So we lead at it and all hell breaks loose. I feel like short stack has Jx but as long as it's not KJ or JT I'm still ahead of SB. BB seems capped when he just flats and I really want to fold out his equity and attack his capped range. The risk here is if he flatted the Ace high flush draw somehow. I decide to jam our uncapped range here anyways. I feel like we are too strong to fold and I hate a flat here, if we miss turn then what? A set of 2s is scary here too but we decide to go for it. JJ should have 3 bet pre but maybe with my nit image it flats sometimes. Thoughts?
PokerStars - $0.30 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (UTG): 98.33 BB
MP: 109 BB
CO: 127.73 BB
BTN: 135.03 BB
SB: 35.93 BB 29/11/11 AF 3 (85 hands)
BB: 100 BB 24/20/6 AF 1 (58 hands)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K T

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, CO calls 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) J T 2
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 5.7 BB, CO calls 5.7 BB, SB raises to 32.93 BB and is all-in, BB calls 32.93 BB, Hero raises to 95.33 BB and is all-in, fold, BB calls 62.4 BB

Oh and Carlos, I know I should auto top off to 100 BB but I dont, I'm a recreational fish, leave me alone lol.

Lol, Good morning dear friend c0rnBr34d! Thank you very much for playing the micros and for sharing your hands with the +300.000 members CardsChat community.
That being said, if you consider yourself a recreational fish, I dare to say I am the biggest Orca Whale the sea has ever seen! :D

The Preflop:

We have only 4 combos of suited broadways preflop and our image is NIT, so I don't see why we would bother folding a hand such as KTs, KJs, KQs, or even QTs, QJs, JT, etc, these hands have good playability postflop and we hope to get position over the real fishes in the blinds, or at least only the SB who has simply 30 blinds ES.
Well, this is why we love the micros, (although 25 NLHE to be not so micro), CO calls, SB, calls, BB calls, UN Coronavirus CDC calls, God calls, whatever, 4 players into the pot.

The postflop

The Flop

This is a very good flop for UTG's range, because now we can bet almost every part of our range: AT, AJ, 22 in a lower frequency but you have it, TT, JJ, QQ, AA, KT, KJ, KQ, AK and AQ could be c-betting here, so this flop flirts a lot with the top of our range.
Players in the blinds check and we go for ~1/2 pot c-bet, which seems fine here and our serious concern, for now is the CO Villain who has position over us.
The problem starts when SB decides to jam the rest of its stack. We are not worried about the SB because we know it is a weak player, our concern is the BB, who seems a love-caller, to calls such a massive bet out of position in relation to two players. (with which hands, I wonder?)
BB can do it with two pair such as JT, because we don't believe BB is flatting 4-way pot, even with odds, hands such J2 or T2, but who knows? Also 22 is calling SB's shove OTF and the rests are semi-bluffs such as 98cc, Q9cc, etc.
The action comes to us and we are not in the happiest spot of our lives, but it seems that pushing here is the best action. We know that BB is commited to the pot and it is not going to fold anything here. BB already invested 1/3 of its stack on the flop, so we put a lot of pressure on its continuation range by shoving.
Which hands we are pushing here in this situation? If we have AT, with the ace of clubs maybe we can go here. If we have AJ with the ace of clubs, 22 you will not have too many or you are even with the blinds but of course we are folding any set here, such as TT and JJ, also we are not calling/folding QQ, KK and AA.
We must have a good bluff on a flop like this and KTcc is one of our best bluffs here, because it has a huge potential for Straights and Flushes, and you already hit 2P2K.
By shoving a Runner-Runner Straight+FD+2P2K here you are protecting your value range that could do the same.
We will have pretty sweet equity against the BB (our sole concern) with all of ours Runner-Runner Straight+FD's, Two Pair, Sets, and Overpairs QQ+.
If BB is a weak player it is going to call your push here with flush draws that contains an ace of clubs on its combos, such as Ac2c. Ac4c, Ac6c, you name it. I guess some Straight Draws BB can also be calling, depending how weak it is and the rest are value hands such as JT, or Jx that got sticky, once in a while JJ, TT and 22, but even versus sets we have pretty damn good equity.
If BB called you with none of those hands quoted above put a note because this is my friend Whale!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Worst scenario one of villains has top pair(AJ,KJ,QJ) an there is bunch of it. And not all your outs is live. I think its borderline decision.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I forgot

Sorry, I forgot to put everything in one single post.
If BB and SB have only hands that have us beat right now, for example, SB and BB only have JT, JJ, TT and 22, we still have more than 54% of equity, so pretty damn good move for a player who considers itself a fish! :D
I don't want to play against fishes like you. Please, lemme know when you are playing so I can avoid you.
Have a nice day, life can be beautiful!

Regards;

Attachments

• KTs cornebread.jpg
    KTs cornebread.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 14
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Worst scenario one of villains has top pair(AJ,KJ,QJ) an there is bunch of it. And not all your outs is live. I think its borderline decision.

If BB and SB are holding Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary right now, we still have sweet 54% equity to be shoving flop for value, even versus sets that we are mathematically losing!
NLHE is a funny thing, huh? I love it :love:, thanks for your post!

Regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Worst case scenario is, BB has a set, and SB has the nut flushdraw. Then we are essentially drawing dead in the main pot, and we only have around 20% equity in the side pot. This will happen from time to time but not all that often. SB will be jamming a lot of hands here due to his stack size, and BB can have some other hands than just sets as well.

N

nyeesssss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is pretty standard , the board is very drawy , you have a ton of equity and against most hands you have at least 50% even against sets you are in ok shape to fold this would be a mistake and to call would also be bad also by reraize jamming you make Co fold out some hands like ATs that have equity.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Worst case scenario is, BB has a set, and SB has the nut flushdraw. Then we are essentially drawing dead in the main pot, and we only have around 20% equity in the side pot. This will happen from time to time but not all that often. SB will be jamming a lot of hands here due to his stack size, and BB can have some other hands than just sets as well.

Hey bud, Sorry to disagree, I believe that it is worse if BB has a better flush draw than SB. For the SB we are only losing ~35 BB side pot and for the BB we are losing our entire stack for the times we miss/we are wrong. SB is not our concern here. Thanks for your comment!

Regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey bud, Sorry to disagree, I believe that it is worse if BB has a better flush draw than SB. For the SB we are only losing ~35 BB side pot and for the BB we are losing our entire stack for the times we miss/we are wrong. SB is not our concern here. Thanks for your comment!

We are ahead of the nut flushdraw, since we have a pair. Therefore it is better, that the deep stacked player has that hand rather than the short stacked player. If SB has a set and BB the nut flushdraw, we are still nearly dead in the main pot, but we have around 60-65% equity in the side pot.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This situation is almost a flip, plus the times we can block combos of straights, our push is always a + EV movement. SB could have top pair here, which is good because it limits BB's range a lot on the post flop.
Greetings.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your line is fine, BB could find a fold with good equity hands like AJ. If he has a nut flush draw, you are ahead. I can see he could flat with JJ there but it is just a bit unlucky.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I mean worst from most real.