$25 NLHE 6-max: Facing donk turn jam for 1/3 pot with top 2

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty gross turn spot. V's donk jam is only 1/3 pot. Isn't this just always a flush though? Can we fold as an exploit or do we just have to pay it off for this sizing?

PokerStars - $0.30 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB
UTG: 130.93 BB
Hero (CO): 123.37 BB
BTN: 167.5 BB
SB: 102.17 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: 7:heart:

UTG raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12.5 BB, 4 players) A:diamond: 6:diamond: 7:club:
BB bets 5.93 BB, UTG raises to 11.87 BB, Hero raises to 53.4 BB, fold, BB calls 47.47 BB, fold

Turn: (131.17 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
BB bets 43.6 BB and is all-in, Hero ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you have to call, because you put in more than half your stack on the flop. If you had gone a little smaller like 30BB, I can better see getting away. As played you are getting 4:1 and need 20% equity. Against a flush you have almost 10%, so if he is ever doing this stop-and-go with for instance A6, its a call.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In preflop we are OP against the BTN and before playing 3 positions we can also increase, to neutralize or expel worse hands that could leak. For example 8-9s; 8-Ts; 9-Ts; 5-8s.
On the flop, I think the smaller raise would make things easier on the turn. I think 30-33bb would leave a ratio greater than half a bet pot donk to the villain. Against his range came the flush draw combos and it would be a fold with more odds of being exploitative.
Greetings.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would opt for a smaller flop raise size or flat. With your flop raise size, I can see BB should continue with strong draws like 98dd, top two and sets. Would BB take this donk turn line with 76s, A6s? I guess not, I think many weak players would just jam the flop.

Could they have KQdd and call your massive flop raise ? probably yes especially 3way

So I don't see any value hands you beat OTT, villain needs to bluff 98s in this spot which I think too optimistic as your flop raise indicates massive strength.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Line: CC Preflop and Polarizing OTF MWP

Pretty gross turn spot. V's donk jam is only 1/3 pot. Isn't this just always a flush though? Can we fold as an exploit or do we just have to pay it off for this sizing?

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A 7

Flop: (12.5 BB, 4 players) A 6 7
BB bets 5.93 BB, UTG raises to 11.87 BB, Hero raises to 53.4 BB, fold, BB calls 47.47 BB, fold

Turn: (131.17 BB, 2 players) 2
BB bets 43.6 BB and is all-in, Hero ?

Hi c0rnBr34d, thank you very much for sharing.

The Preflop

The only reason to be cold calling here versus UTG, when there are calling players ahead is that they already demonstraded to be clowns in a circus several times and we want to overplay one of them.
Having no information of UTG, the default is a strong range and from the CO, with so many bad players yet to speak, we don't believe our suited aces are going to play very well multi-way, so we are folding and 3-betting here. Again, no information of the players, very guessing game.
Why are we calling A7s versus UTG? For the times we hit anything we are not happy because UTG can always has better hands than us, such as AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, you name it.
Second of all, there are 4 players for one pot, thus no matter what you hit or miss OTF, our equity would be something around 0% to 25%, easy to see why this calling is expendable.
There were nearly 30 blinds on the pot and you raise almost twice the size of the pot, going for 53.4 blinds/ 30 blinds pot!!!
You cannot do that for bluff, otherwise your bluffs are going to be very expensive and when the bluffs don't pass, we are nailed and commited, for no logical reason.

the postflop

The Flop

Why do we raise the flop? If we do believe we have the best hand, why are we scared about some FD and SD that Villains could not even have on their ranges?
If we do believe we have the best hand, and raise for value we only expect calls from flush draws? Yes, if players are weak enough they can be chasing flush draws here.
However, we never have the nuts for this flop (AA), and I don't know if our FDs and SDs are raising for bluff here.
UTG and BB have range advantage: BB can have all the FDs and SDs + 66 and sometimes 77 and even more rare A7 and A6. UTG can have some FDs and AA, 66, 77, so, unless these guys are the same fishes fundiver199 finds around, I see no reason to be bluffing our Top Two.
Since you gave no description of Villains I assume you had no information about them and was check-guessing-raising.
Besides your check-raise flop is huge and non-sense for a situation where you NEVER have the nuts (AA). You never raise this flop so high with any bluff, when you are bluffing you go for smaller sizings, so it is easy to narrow, cappe and explore your range on many turns that are going to be good for BB's range and not ours.

The Turn

What is fun now is that the BB can have no flushes at all on its range, only flush bluffs and semi-bluffs and we are not sure of what we should do. Why? Because we called preflop to play a 4-handed bloated pot with a dominated hand?
Because we check-raise flop when we have no nuts for such action? Because we polarized only for value OTF going for two times the size of the pot, and we never do it with any bluff?
Here, we already invested too much and if we think that Villain is a little bit spewy we should be shipping in, and if it has the flush we still have a little equity for the river.
Expendable high variance spot by its own nature.
You should not be asking what to do here, since you commited your stack OTF. Good Luck!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for the input. I'll give it a full 24 hours before results. My thinking on flop had a few factors. First, I'm playing 8 tables so I dont always slide to the exact amount I want. I probably would have gone for about 45 BB so I thought 53.4 was close enough. My thought was that I'd like to charge UTG the size of the pot and he already has 12 BB in so 42 BB to go. I guess this has it's roots in more exploitative live play. But I also think often of the fundamental theorem of poker. If you could see he cards and he had a naked flush draw how would you size the flop 3 bet? I thought if we made it 42 BB it would set up a trivial turn jam provided we fade a diamond one time. So the other side of the same coin, where "if we had bet less we could fold turn" sounds to me like we are trading flop equity to make it easier to fold turn and I'm not sure I'm on board with that. If we can get stacks in on the flop I'm ok with that as we are only behind 5 combos and there are some draws we are in good shape against.

@Carlos
Agree pre was marginal. I didn't include stats. UTG was 31/23/27 over a tiny sample of 26 hands so his range isn't the normal UTG range. I don't want to bloat the pot with A7hh with so much action behind me but I'd like to get to a cheap flop against a wide range with a hand that can make the nuts. We could fold here but I think over calling and folding to the squeeze is fine. Only SB seemed solid at this table so I'm fine with mixing it up a bit against this bunch. Just plugged Ah7h vs 23% into the sim and we have 46% equity and position on his range.

Flop, see above. Why aren't we piling in as many chips as possible here? This is exactly the type of flop we want with A7hh. If we aren't willing to shovel chips in then I would fold pre. We have the best hand so often here as we block AA and 77 heavily.

Turn, obviously I know we are supposed to be calling off here. I simply asked the question can we deviate from that standard line and fold as an exploit here since Vs range is so heavily weighted towards flushes (against which our equity is not great enough to call). Surely we can still ask simple questions about alternative lines on a poker forum right? If your position is that we can never deviate form the standard line that's fine but suggesting we shouldn't even ask the question seems a bit much.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If BB called off half the effective stack just trying to hit a flush on the turn, he clearly made a mathematical mistake and need to be paid, when his bad play gets rewarded. Considering that I am ok paying him off. Of course we should fold, if he flips over his cards and shows us a flush, but since its online poker, that is obviously not going to happen. And without seeing his cards, we can not say for sure, he can not have a worse hand just 10-15% of the time, which is, what we need to make a profitable call.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thanks all for the input. I'll give it a full 24 hours before results. My thinking on flop had a few factors. First, I'm playing 8 tables so I dont always slide to the exact amount I want. I probably would have gone for about 45 BB so I thought 53.4 was close enough. My thought was that I'd like to charge UTG the size of the pot and he already has 12 BB in so 42 BB to go. I guess this has it's roots in more exploitative live play. But I also think often of the fundamental theorem of poker. If you could see he cards and he had a naked flush draw how would you size the flop 3 bet? I thought if we made it 42 BB it would set up a trivial turn jam provided we fade a diamond one time. So the other side of the same coin, where "if we had bet less we could fold turn" sounds to me like we are trading flop equity to make it easier to fold turn and I'm not sure I'm on board with that. If we can get stacks in on the flop I'm ok with that as we are only behind 5 combos and there are some draws we are in good shape against.

@Carlos
Agree pre was marginal. I didn't include stats. UTG was 31/23/27 over a tiny sample of 26 hands so his range isn't the normal UTG range. I don't want to bloat the pot with A7hh with so much action behind me but I'd like to get to a cheap flop against a wide range with a hand that can make the nuts. We could fold here but I think over calling and folding to the squeeze is fine. Only SB seemed solid at this table so I'm fine with mixing it up a bit against this bunch. Just plugged Ah7h vs 23% into the sim and we have 46% equity and position on his range.

Flop, see above. Why aren't we piling in as many chips as possible here? This is exactly the type of flop we want with A7hh. If we aren't willing to shovel chips in then I would fold pre. We have the best hand so often here as we block AA and 77 heavily.

Turn, obviously I know we are supposed to be calling off here. I simply asked the question can we deviate from that standard line and fold as an exploit here since Vs range is so heavily weighted towards flushes (against which our equity is not great enough to call). Surely we can still ask simple questions about alternative lines on a poker forum right? If your position is that we can never deviate form the standard line that's fine but suggesting we shouldn't even ask the question seems a bit much.

Thanks for your answer. I believe that earlier we put more chips on the pot, higher the variance. The later we invest blinds on the pot, lower the variance, because it is obvious that we have more range information and the streets progresses. Preflop we have absolutely no safe information, but OTR, we can make decisions close to perfection.
OTF we are (almost) never winning too much or losing too much, do you agree?
Meaningless to quote you a trivial example, for example we hit top set with AA and we go all-in OTF versus a certain flush draw. Are we destroying here? I don't think so.
Second, if you have faith that one of Villains can pay this huge sizing why don't you go all-in right off the bad OTF?
Considering UTG was 31/23/27, you should be 3-betting more, because if you believe your suited aces are ahead of UTG's opening/3-bet calling range, so you would/could isolate the player in the blinds, thus you will have much more odds and playability. ;)
But calling is good for balacing, your are right, but it is good when you do have NITs ahead, that don't cold call preflop too much. Perhaps you weren't seeing the whole picture because you were playing 8 tables at once.
I also don't like the ideia of getting "cheap flops" at the micro-mid stakes because the rake is out of proportion.
A7s has good equity here, as you stated, but our equity drops down when there are many players involved on the hand. When you calculate equity, you gotta calculate with the rake included, which means that we always need 3%, 4%, 5% more equity than usual to be calling at the micros-mid stakes. (as lower the stakes, we will require more equity than usual higher limits such as 1000 NLHE for example, where it is always correct to be defending 50% from the blinds or even more).
It is easy for all of us to picture that the player sitting in the Big Blind, is one of fundiver199's clients/opponents: very weak and no-brainer.
Which hands could be calling such a preposterous sizing that you/Hero made OTF, specially when we are blocking a lot of A7, resting only 66 as the best hand and the flush draws.
IF this player called with the flush draw, BB is an idiot, and if BB called with 66, the Villain in the Big Blind is even more idiot, with all due respect to your opponent, if that's possible after the words I used.
Overall I tend to classify the BB as a very weak player, because most of times it will have sticky dominated hands and if it had sets, omg, why not jam the flop? :confused:

I wasn't saying that you should not look towards alternative lines, I was trying to tell you that you should've shoved the flop, once you know BB is weak enough to be calling with a flush draw when, indeed, BB has no equity at all.
Well, first of all, I would never be donking a flush draw versus two players IP, unless I had a very specific reason for so doing (BB's shoes).
I cannot understand how can you picture a fold OTT after you invested more than 50% of your stack and you have a very strong value hand.
I believe the alternative line is OTF, if you raise a size that does not compromisse your stack, than you could be looking towards a fold here, even so, if you've had raised the size of the pot (30 blinds) and BB called with a flush draw, BB still has no odds. And unless both are deep you are already in, so I don't see to much difference, between shipping all-in and going for 53 blinds check-raise. But considering that the BB is weak enough to be calling down here with flush draws 53 blinds, BB would also have called an all-in, and there would be no difference.
I don't love guessing hands, "oh because BB has the flush", if BB has the flush we already lose for it, let's think now about other hands/range BB is going in here. So, in a spot like this, BB will have as bluffs FDs and SDs, sometimes both combined which is terrible for our equity, and value hands no AA, and much more 66 than 77, because we are blocking (A7hh). Besides, BB can have inferior two pair, TPTK, you name it, we must think how can we extract value of its entire range.
Summarizing: anything BB appears on the showdown is preposterous.
I tried to be short here but it was not possible.

Regards;

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did consider a light 3 bet but I wasn't crazy about going multi way with lots of action behind me. As mentioned SB seemed competent as well and I wanted to see if he was going to over call or squeeze. If I was in later position I would probably have gone for it but it just seemed a bit to ambitious in this scenario. I'd rather fold than 3 bet.

As for flop, it isn't too far of a stretch to jam but by your own argument we reduce variance by doing it in two steps, especially the 5 out 6 times the turn is not a diamond. If I thought BB was definitely calling a jam then I may have gone for it. I was fine either way if he folds or calls but I thought our 3 bet was already pretty ridiculously large. I thought I was being exploitative aggressive against an inelastic calling range but usually there are limits and I didn't particularly see the value of putting it all in now vs putting it in over two bets. As far as variance goes we are at least 65% against a naked flush draw which is pretty much 2:1. I can understand avoiding coin flips to reduce variance but if we think we are ahead 2:1 and they hit their draw I'm ok with bloating the pot in those cases. I think this case is better than most since we paired the off suit 7 and also have top pair with the Ace. So we don't have to worry about the pair+draw combos since they will be drawing to runner runner boat or a naked flush and still only have about 33-35% equity. I'm not completely discounting the sets and true combo draws like 98dd that have us in bad shape. They are just so few and far between that the flop seemed like value waiting to be had.

You and fundiver are probably right that we cannot fold turn here as an exploit because any player bad enough to draw vs those odds probably has enough spaz to balance all the times they have a flush.

I'm still not sold on passing up spots where Vs will make huge calling mistakes if we have that read just so we make it easier to later fold if they get there. Seems counter intuitive.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just for clarification: If we know, the other players are incredibly bad and will be way to inelastic, then there is nothing wrong with sizing up for value. Ultimately we could then also simply jam the flop and be done. My suggestion about going smaller on the flop was under the assumption, they are standard unknown players and not complete morons. And in that case SB in particular should not make a lot of mistakes against such a large bet. If for instance he had top pair, it should be a very easy fold for him. So I dont want to go smaller to make it easier to fold later. I want to go smaller to get more action especially from hands, that have 20% or less equity.

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this situation, with a 99 percent probability, you can say that he has a flush. with any other strong hand, he was already on the flop. and the donk in the floor of the Bank also testifies to this.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got a raise and a re-raise on the flop. I think that there is no point in rearranging such players who have a flash draw or a straight draw. They will call anyway. The Board will become even more dangerous further. There are two ways out in such cases.
If you think your hand is the best at the moment and are willing to take a risk, then put all-in on the flop and get the best chance of winning. But if you value your stack, it's wise to call on the flop and draw conclusions on the next streets. In this situation, you made a big pot and the opponent caught the flush most likely. I wouldn't give him the remaining chips on the turn. It is better to top up the stack and continue playing with minimal losses.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Results?

Hey mate, not that I care very much, but now I got curious to know this BB/Fish range.
I don't love guessing but it is most likely that you are going to find A7 in a very low frequency as the same for A6, more often you are going to find 66 and 77.
What is real rare here, but you will also find are the FDs and SDs and nonsense hands that believe they are strong enough to be calling/bluffing, such as 55, 88, whatever.

Regards;

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: 7:heart:

Flop: (12.5 BB, 4 players) A:diamond: 6:diamond: 7:club:

Turn: (131.17 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
BB bets 43.6 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 43.6 BB

River: (218.37 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:

BB shows 7:diamond: T:diamond: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 31%, Flop 35%, Turn 93%)
Hero shows A:heart: 7:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Sevens)
(Pre 69%, Flop 65%, Turn 7%)
BB wins 211.7 BB
Rake paid 6.67 BB

Here are the results. V thinks he has a combo pair + draw here but we block his trips and his T. He's really drawing to running Ts or running straight cards to go with the flush draw. So as I suspected we were a 2:1 favorite and got him to put in over half his stack. I really wanted to fold turn because I felt he has the flush like 95% of the time here but as many have said. If he's bad enough to make this crazy call then he's probably also bad enough to show up with A6 or AxKd or some other crazy hand he shouldn't have. So for this sizing I don't think we can fold in reality unless we have much better reads. At time time it just felt like, I know he has the flush, why can't I just fold turn here as an exploit. That was the reason for the post.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Turn: (131.17 BB, 2 players) 2

River: (218.37 BB, 2 players) J

BB shows 7 T (Flush, Ace High)
Hero shows A 7 (Two Pair, Aces and Sevens)
BB wins 211.7 BB
Rake paid 6.67 BB

Here are the results. V thinks he has a combo pair + draw here but we block his trips and his T. He's really drawing to running Ts or running straight cards to go with the flush draw. So as I suspected we were a 2:1 favorite and got him to put in over half his stack. I really wanted to fold turn because I felt he has the flush like 95% of the time here but as many have said. If he's bad enough to make this crazy call then he's probably also bad enough to show up with A6 or AxKd or some other crazy hand he shouldn't have. So for this sizing I don't think we can fold in reality unless we have much better reads. At time time it just felt like, I know he has the flush, why can't I just fold turn here as an exploit. That was the reason for the post.

Thank you for posting it and pheeewww...omg, unbeliavable, these fishes are unbeliavable

Regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for sharing the results. And for sure there is nothing surpricing about seeing Td7d. But we are not calling, because we expect to always be ahead. We are calling, because we expect to win at showdown often enough, so that calling is a less bad alternative than folding.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t like calling preflop here. If I get squeezed I have to fold and if more people call behind me it doesn’t play well in a multi hand pot. I think my initial move would be to fold preflop. My other option is to isolate the UTG by 3 betting him, but I have no info on villain or the rest of the table in this situation so I lean towards folding.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

BB bets 5.93 BB, UTG raises to 11.87 BB, Hero raises to 53.4 BB, fold, BB calls 47.47 BB,

foldTurn: (131.17 BB, 2 players) 2

River: (218.37 BB, 2 players) J

BB shows 7 T (Flush, Ace High)
Hero shows A 7 (Two Pair, Aces and Sevens)
BB wins 211.7 BB
Rake paid 6.67 BB.
He had a flush after all. I knew it.