$2000 NLHE Heads-up: Flopped set, sick HU cooler?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is LAGish with a large stack, around 400BB. Been c-betting lmost 100% time, because villain is very passive.

Villain is passive, lose preflop but cant bet anything less than 2nd pair. He likes to peel off a street with anything that looked good preflop, doesn't raise much pre. Just made a full rebuy for 200 BB

Hero is bttn with 4s 4d, raises to 60
Villain raises to 120.
Hero calls.

Flop: 4c 6s 9d, pot 240

Villain checks
hero bets 120
villain raises to 240
hero calls

turn 9h pot 720

villain checks
hero bets 400
villain riases all-in for 1600ish :puke:

Uggh. Is bottom set ever good? against an aggro opponent i would make this call anytime. His line looks super strong. Is this line a set, or is it AA or KK?

Spoiler Hero folds, villain shows 9c 9s for 4 of a kind, nines

Last edited:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wait, are you literally playing HU? And is 10/20 HU your normal game haha?

I mean there's not a lot to say about this hand. You felt you had a read and were always beat, and you folded. You happened to be right. But from a range perspective, we are absurdly high in our range, and if he EVER has random spews then folding this is heresy.

But you had a gut feeling, followed it, and were right. There's not much anyone here can really say about that. "In a vacuum" analysis doesn't always bring us to the right conclusions.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it was heads up while we waited for other people to show up (it was either that or sit in the car and wait for my normal Saturday ring to show up). I usually play 1/2 on weekdays and 10/20 on Saturdays.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah it was heads up while we waited for other people to show up (it was either that or sit in the car and wait for my normal Saturday ring to show up). I usually play 1/2 on weekdays and 10/20 on Saturdays.

Is there nothing in between those two stakes? Just surprised that you'd make such a big jump on a regular basis.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2/5 is the only thing between, and i tend to avoid those tables because that is where the sharks like to hang out (not that i couldn't hold my own, but i would rather be stacking tourists than dealing with experienced grinders) . Easier pickings at 1/2, and my roll is large enough that i can handle variance at 10/20 for a few sessions at a time.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2/5 is the only thing between, and i tend to avoid those tables because that is where the sharks like to hang out (not that i couldn't hold my own, but i would rather be stacking tourists than dealing with experienced grinders) . Easier pickings at 1/2, and my roll is large enough that i can handle variance at 10/20 for a few sessions at a time.

I guess, but I would think 2/5 is almost always more manageable from a skill perspective than 10/20, even if you're talking about weekdays to weekends etc. I realize the stakes sometimes shut out pros who are "stuck" at the 2/5 level but I'm still skeptical that 10/20 would be soft enough to warrant that while not playing 2/5.

Certainly can't judge since I don't play those stakes myself but I'd be curious to know where you play if you don't mind sharing? I understand if not though.