$2000 NLHE Full Ring: Flopped set on flush board

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is playing TAG, not really much action, simply not picking up many hands. Stacked around 425 BB.

Villain is a fairly straightforward player, TAG, likes to play draws, not very tricky from what I have seen. Usually fast plays strong hands, he bets when he has it. Around 300 BB

Hero is UTG with QcQs
Hero raises to 75
Folds to villain in late mp,
Villain 3-bets to 200
Folds back to hero,
Hero calls 200.

Flop: Qh 7h 4h Pot: 430

Hero bets 350
Villain calls

Turn As Pot: 1130

Hero bets 1000
Villain calls

River 2c Pot: 3130

Hero bets 1500
Villain raises all in
Hero?

Its hard to think he has a set on this board, I feel like 77 probably doesn’t 3-bet, neither does 44, on the flop I guess he could flat, but with the texture I think he raises me. No straights, (he never has 35) the only thing I am worried about is the flush. He can 3-bet in pos. with probably ATs+, AJo+, big pairs like 99+. He probably dumps his medium pairs, offsuit aces without a heart on the flop.

He could have AQ although i block that, or maybe AK with a heart that I beat, occasionaly he has AA, but I really don’t like to try to fold a set to another set. He also raises the turn With those.

His range seems pretty polarized, he either has a slowplayed flush or a complete bluff.

What do you think he has? Is a call okay? I end up making the call, i felt like there were limited amounts of flush hands he had and that he would have been raising with flush hands.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tough call what is your chip stack at this point?

Hero is playing TAG, not really much action, simply not picking up many hands. Stacked around 425 BB.

Villain is a fairly straightforward player, TAG, likes to play draws, not very tricky from what I have seen. Usually fast plays strong hands, he bets when he has it. Around 300 BB

Hero is UTG with QcQs
Hero raises to 75
Folds to villain in late mp,
Villain 3-bets to 200
Folds back to hero,
Hero calls 200.

Flop: Qh 7h 4h Pot: 430

Hero bets 350
Villain calls

Turn As Pot: 1130

Hero bets 1000
Villain calls

River 2c Pot: 3130

Hero bets 1500
Villain raises all in
Hero?

Its hard to think he has a set on this board, I feel like 77 probably doesn’t 3-bet, neither does 44, on the flop I guess he could flat, but with the texture I think he raises me. No straights, (he never has 35) the only thing I am worried about is the flush. He can 3-bet in pos. with probably ATs+, AJo+, big pairs like 99+. He probably dumps his medium pairs, offsuit aces without a heart on the flop.

He could have AQ although i block that, or maybe AK with a heart that I beat, occasionaly he has AA, but I really don’t like to try to fold a set to another set. He also raises the turn With those.

His range seems pretty polarized, he either has a slowplayed flush or a complete bluff.

What do you think he has? Is a call okay? I end up making the call, i felt like there were limited amounts of flush hands he had and that he would have been raising with flush hands.

If my stack wasn't threatened, I would have made the call also. This is one of those with so many possibilities, without having a full house, etc you can't second-guess yourself too much

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't really get what hands we are actually beating here besides maaaaybe AQ but I think that probably just raises turn a lot. I also don't really get why we led here on the flop after just calling the preflop 3bet.

So like, I get why we'd want to lead this exact hand on this board but it seems really hard to have reasonable bluffs here with our line EVER. So it also seems difficult for villain to turn stuff into bluffs here very often on this runout. If he raises AK with a heart he's bluffing, which I suppose is possible. And there are 4 AhKx combos and 2 AxKh combos that aren't AKhh. So it's potentially a decent number of combos relative to his value bets, which I see as being AA (particularly with the Ah) and whatever AKhh combos he has... so knowing more about his 3bet range would be swell.

When you say he fastplays hands, would that apply to a spot like this where he could have had the nutflush which is super invulnerable?

Honestly I hate this spot for so many reasons and I feel like AhKo might be a better hand to call with than top set because it blocks the most likely hand that we lose to. But tbh I think your sizing might be the most telling part of this hand - he's just calling down light here with a draw to bluff river after hitting top pair? I just dunno about that. Feels like the nut flush and AhAx a LOT.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played I would call also, I would make the C-Bets smaller and check the river back, trying get to show down.

I think your analysis is right. Its either a slow played flush or air, so why bet the river?

B

bark9188

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm racking my brain on this a bit because of your fast play comment. My initial thought is AKh here and I think it is my final thought as well. He sees you raise UTG representing strength and you continue on the flop. He calls it down hoping for a blank, expecting you to keep pounding on the turn.

I went back and forth with AA in my head, but I feel AhAx raises the flop more than not. I think the AA combo without the heart comes over the top on the turn, and I don't necessarily see it jamming on the river.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really get what hands we are actually beating here besides maaaaybe AQ but I think that probably just raises turn a lot. I also don't really get why we led here on the flop after just calling the preflop 3bet.

So like, I get why we'd want to lead this exact hand on this board but it seems really hard to have reasonable bluffs here with our line EVER. So it also seems difficult for villain to turn stuff into bluffs here very often on this runout. If he raises AK with a heart he's bluffing, which I suppose is possible. And there are 4 AhKx combos and 2 AxKh combos that aren't AKhh. So it's potentially a decent number of combos relative to his value bets, which I see as being AA (particularly with the Ah) and whatever AKhh combos he has... so knowing more about his 3bet range would be swell.

When you say he fastplays hands, would that apply to a spot like this where he could have had the nutflush which is super invulnerable?

Honestly I hate this spot for so many reasons and I feel like AhKo might be a better hand to call with than top set because it blocks the most likely hand that we lose to. But tbh I think your sizing might be the most telling part of this hand - he's just calling down light here with a draw to bluff river after hitting top pair? I just dunno about that. Feels like the nut flush and AhAx a LOT.

He would have wanted to gii right on the flop. He would have been raising as much as he thought i could Possibly call. That is the only reason i felt i could ever call.

He shows Ah ks

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wouldn't have put myself in that position. Would either c-bet smaller on the board on flop and turn or just check the turn and call any 'normal' sized bet.

As played I would never put him on a bluff, but as you mention you had a strong read that he would fast play a made flush you made a great play also betting for value on flop, turn and river. Him showing up with the Ah makes sense as it blocks you from having the nut flush and also from having top set.

H'mm shows that I have a lot to learn still as capable TAG players will make this kind of play 3 Bet with AK and calling down with flush draw and bluff the river with nut flush blocker. So against good TAG players your line makes sense. Well played!

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would always call here. You are at the top of your range aside from flopped flushes yourself.
Clearly he will have flushes some of the time but if you are folding top sets you are way over folding, you have weaker hands in your range which you can fold. Call with top set.

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played I would call also, I would make the C-Bets smaller and check the river back, trying get to show down.

I think your analysis is right. Its either a slow played flush or air, so why bet the river?

Agree. Check-call river the best way.

Full Flush Poker