$2000 NLHE Full Ring: Check/call bad river w/ set?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero has been TAG, playing in a a good number of big hands. 900BB

Villain is a thinking TAG, pretty aggro, fairly strong player. 750 BB

Villain raises to 80 from UTG
Folds to mp, mp1, mp3 call.
Folds to Bttn, calls.
Hero is in SB with Td Tc
Hero raises to 300
Villain calls.
Mp1,Mp3,bttn fold.

Flop Ad Kd Th Pot: 840

Hero bets 600
Villain calls.

Turn: 4s Pot: 2040

Hero bets 1500
Villain raises to 4000
Hero calls.

River Qh Pot : 10k

Hero checks
Villain bets 5000
Hero calls.

Villain shows AK

Without the results, is this a stupid call?

Yuck, that queen is really awful. any jack now has me beat. But, there aren't that many Jacks in his range. Only JJ and AJ really, and he is tight enough to fold AJo to my oop 3-bet. The only combos that beat me are AA (3), KK (3), JJ (6), and AJs (3), a total of 15, versus 18 of AK/AQ. that see me check this and take a stab to rep. Wouldn't AA, KK also check this back?

Also, i think that JJ can usually find a fold on this flop even with a gutter, bad odds and two overcards that slam my range. That would make it 9/18 so the call would be correct math-wise, right?

Is my line up to the river ok? I don't understand his line with top 2 on such a wet board, should i have re-raised the turn that was pretty good for me?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your 3bet pre is dreadfully small. You have a raise to 80 and 3 calls and you are oop.

There is no mp3. Utg, utg1, mp1, mp2, Hj, Co, btn, sb, bb.

Vs the first raise, you should 3b to 350, id add 100 per caller, so id 3bet to around 650.

Cbet looks slightly small, barrel looks good, definitely calling the raise.

In order for us to fold river our opponent needs turn bluffs to have a J in it, and/or to raise QJ on the turn. They also need to be underbluffing the river significantly.

So I like the call.

Main thing: If you 3b this small in cash, it will make you very easy to play vs. This is a HUGE leak.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you only listed nine spots... what do you call the tenth one? some people say LowJack but i just say mp3, it comes off the tounge better, dontcha think?

As for the 3-bet i chose to size smallish as mp2 and "whatever-the-hell-its-called" are loose passive idiots that i wanted to keep in :) I should have mentioned that but it didn't really factor into the river call.

images
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At 10 handed there is utg+2.

That gives us more of a reason to 3bet larger.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True, i guess that point goes your way.
They are passive... that means they don't like to call large raises. If i bomb it to 700 or something they fold every time. (They did anyways, which sucks) If i am trying to keep them in i make it as small as needed without looking weird.

Also tens isn't a value hand versus an UTG/Ep range. Unless you hit a miracle 9 high flop chances are you have (probably) a 2-outer. Why play a huge pot, ESP. oop with a hand that will be marginal on the flop 7/8 time?

Raising bigger here does nothing for me, almost all of his UTG range still calls and the 2 donks still dont call. If i wanted to play an inflated pot with tens i would use a helium pump and a ballon.

Last edited:
Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would 3 Bet bigger preflop I would not like having multiple callers when I am OOP with TT. With multiple callers your basically set mining in my opinion. Also it is an UTG raise which I gave some credit of holding a decent hand.

Would def call the river.

Don't think that they would check back AA or KK a lot on the river. You probably do not have a J here as you did not value bet the river and you did bet Turn and River on this board. Although having AA, KK blocks AK, AQ holdings etc.