$2000 NLHE Full Ring: AK flop top 2, c/fold river?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is playing a semi-loose game with a lot of agro. I am using these ranges from UTG, UTG1: A2-A5s, ATs+, AJo+, KQo+ QJs+. (hands that play well postflop and will have a lot of draws.) 500BB

Villain is standard TAG player for these levels, regular that (as far as I can tell) has a fairly strong game. 400BB

Fold, hero is UTG1
Hero raises to 80 with AsKs
Folds to villain in HJ, 3-bets to 350
Folds back to hero
Hero 4-bets to 1300
Villain tanks, calls.
Flop: Ad Kh Qs Pot: 2600

Hero checks
Villain bets 1500
Hero calls

Turn: Qc Pot: 5600

Hero checks
Villain checks

River: 7s Pot: 5600

Hero checks
Villain bets 3000
Hero folds.

Here is what villains 3-bet range in HJ versus my UTG/UTG1 opener is: 99+ AQo+ AJs+ A2-A5s, A4o A5o
Calling 4-bet range: JJ+, AKo, AQs+. I have been seeing a lot of guys flat 4-bets ip with AA, he probably 5-bets KK.

Interesting flop, looks good with top 2 pair but if we look at his range we are crushed. We only beat JJ, maybe a loose TT, and AQ. With our ranges, neither of these hands are going to give me 3-streets of value, not even 2 versus JJ. Betting didn’t make much sense at the time. Should I continue?
Turn is awful. I still have top 2 but now the only hand I beat is JJ really. Yikes. I felt like this was an obvious check.
River is a blank, check-fold? Even with farily decent pot odds, I choose to fold because I have a bluff-catcher and his river bet looks more like value than bluff.

So, is my line here okay, and is the river a call simply because im risking 3k to win 8k? I sorta feel like I might have butchered this? IDK, its just a nasty-ish runout.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would start from preflop. If you say you get action only from JJ+,AQs+,AKo you know that by 4beting AKs you don't do it for value, right? you have 45% vs this range. If we will give him a range, JJ, QQ, 50% AA, AQs+, AQo then you are still behind. 47.6 %. I would definitely defend my opening range by calling to 3bet with AKs on these positions.

As played river fold is fine. You already explained yourself why and I completely agree with you. You split or you are just behind.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You might have had him beat and he sensed weakness. JJ 1010 99. You did say they were tight, but are you sure they make the same plays every time from the same positions? Maybe they are a decent player and they mix it up.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would bet out on the flop (JJ has still 6 outs and AQ will also call), check turn (back door flush draw did not arrive and it is a bad card) and probably check call river with this hand.

On the river there are 6 JJ combo's that can bluff and 4 AK combos's that you tie with and 1 AA and 1 QQ and 4 AQ combos combo that beat you. You need about 35% equity. His AA, QQ and AQ might have bet the turn and AA may 5 bet, so he will not always arrive with all his nutty hands on the river with this line.

As you did not bet out on the flop, river and turn it is unlikely that you have a top hand. So it is a prime bluff spot for him to take the pot down and as AK is a good bluff catcher I would make the call you could, although not very likely, also have AJ or AT or .. which I would fold in this spot.

Last edited:
B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think flatting makes more sense, bluffing is ok but surely AKs is strong enough to call with some nut value too. Against villain’s 3bet range this flop would have been much better.

I tried to find a hand that you beat, only idea is that if your 4bet range includes some weak aces and he knows it, he might read you to have one and he pushes you out. Regardless even then we only beat pure bluff and he really should have practically none. And sizing is tad small saying he wants a call.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly think that his calling range preflop is wider. You are 400 bb deep and he is in position. He can setmine with any pair profitably imho. Even if he is tight, you said he is decent, he is getting the direct odds to setmine and he knows it.

This hand being 400BB deep makes his preflop calling range significantly wider imho. As far as postflop goes, im not really sure. I think checking flop is reasonable to induce some bets from inferior hands that might think you missed, because like I said, this hand being this super deep also makes your 4bet range wider.

Overall I would say the range you assigned to him is very pessimistic and I would definitely expect him to have wider range. Heck, its 400BB deep, some suited connectors might still be there given he is in position. I wouldnt be so pessimistic. JTs definitely there. I dont like putting people on exact hands bc its BS but JTs would make sense, as he would deffo bet this flop when checked to and he might be scared of the turn pairing the board, making him dead against the boats that got there, cuz your 4bet range preflop is KK and AA heavy for sure.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bet sizes they are using are huge, so not much room there. 4bet size 65bb, compared to online 22-24, 3x, I would guess this deep online the sizes might sometimes be larger maybe 32-34bb? 2x

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont know why u limit the range on the hands that are beating u only that's not right his range is way way way bigger than QQ+ and if u think u are QQ+ it's a fold preflop. one thing is sure he does not have AA or KK u did 4bet him he just called he knows that u have a big hand there and u r willing to put money in the pot if he had KK or AA he 5bet there for sure. So for me his range is more like 10s JJ, QQ, and AJs.
u r the agresser preflop so u have to continue there your check is very weak, rigth there with the check u did give up on your hand going from there vilain hand dosen't matter he sensed weakness and he is betting to take the hand that what he did. u did call the turn the river is a blank so u have to call the river too, u fold the turn i get the thinking but u call the turn to fold the river it's just non sens to me.

Folding in Poker