$2000 NLHE Full Ring: 3-bet light flops nuts

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is tight from ep, very aggressive, very strong player. If I had an HUD for live play, his ATS would probably be close to around 85 though, opens pretty light from Lp a lot, but He can navigate postflop with weak holdings. 400BB+

Hero has been LAG, been restealing a fair amount of the time with my weakish holdings, but not so many times that it is expolitable 300BB

Action folds around to villain in HJ.
Villain raises to 80
Folds to hero on Bttn.
Hero 3-bets to 200 with 3d 6d
Blinds fold
Villain calls.

Flop: 2d 4s 5h
Villain bets 300
Hero raises to 1000
Villain tanks, calls.

Turn: 5s
Villain checks
Hero bets 1500
Villian puts hero all in
Hero calls.

River: Th
Hero shows str8,
Villain shows 4c5c for full house :eek::(

Is going broke here ok facing a check raise? I put him originally on Maybe A3, some random bluffs, maybe A5 or 56 for top pair + draw. On the turn I narrowed it down to either A3, A5, 56, maybe some other random fives but was fairly sure I was ahead. (A lot of Axd he can have as well, although we block some of the weaker Axd combos)

His boat combos are 22, 44, 54 and 52, basically random trash and some small pocket pairs are all that have us beat.

And is this hand to weak to 3-bet, even against his inflated stealing stats?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
300BB effective meaning 6k effective.

85% ATS is indeed very high would indeed 3 bet more often against such opponents. But would not choose such low suited 2 gapper there are plenty of better combos that perform a lot better postflop.

Pot is around 400 and villain bets 300 and you flopped the nuts so its time to see how we get it all-in. Check calling all the way wont do it besides you are OOP so check raising as done is good. You check raise to 1000 and he calls. Pot is now 2400 and you have 4.7 behind.

Turn pairs the board which is not a good card for you as it could get him a full house or quads. Time to count combos.

"I put him originally on Maybe A3, some random bluffs, maybe A5 or 56 for top pair + draw. On the turn I narrowed it down to either A3, A5, 56, maybe some other random fives but was fairly sure I was ahead. (A lot of Axd he can have as well, although we block some of the weaker Axd combos)"

Pre-flop you both can be wide still as hes 85% stealing and you can 3 bet light and he should call wide with his 85% ATS. On flop you could be bluff check raising so I would give him either a made hand meaning a set or two pair or A3 or a Ax which paired the board or an over pair or a draw like 67s. So there should be many more combos that you beat then that beat you.

Would turn bet as played. You bet 1500 and he raises all in. Pot is now about 8.6 and you need to put in about another 3.2 to make the call.
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
He raises you all-in now what hands would do that on this board. Sofar you made a strong play so you are likely to have either a made hand or some strong draw to the nuts. There are however not much strong draws to the nuts as the board paired so your most likely holding is a strong made hand. As hes a thinking player he should know that and still he raises you all-in which is strong play. You not likely to hold 63 so that leaves A3s made straight and full-houses and bluffs including 33 and 66 for you and you can also have a big pair. 6x full houses, 1x quad, 3x A3s, 6x 33, 6x 66, and some big pairs as combos 5x for a set. He can try to bluff you off a one paired hand. The only think that bothers me is the amount of bluff hands he can have versus the amount of value hands he can have.
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
As played I believe that a made straight is at the very top of your range (but you know better) you hold and I would call off on the river. Would not be happy with it as he probably does not have many bluff hands left in his range as you check raised on the flop.
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
P.S.
Wish I did this kind of thinking in the game lol, but I guess I have to put in hours of reviewing hands to be able to just do that better.

[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like just a sick ass cooler at the high stakes. I just imagine it hurts way more then any other game of poker. Hope you called it a day after that hand haha.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, 36s is a bit wide for a re-raise, especially against loose opponents. Once you hit the nuts on the flop, why are you raising his c-bet? I mean, if he really does have a wide range of opening hands, then something like 89 is in his range, or maybe hands that you stated A3, A5, 56. Can those hands realistically call your re-raise on the flop? I personally don't think so. Basically you raised to get the pot bigger, but really you can't make it bigger by too many hands, some overpairs, 2P and sets maybe, but how many of those does he have there? In this particular spot, sure, he has a 2P and your bet worked, but in like 90% of other cases it won't and you don't get value.
Apart from that, the bet on the turn is fine IMO, but for some future hands I suggest going for check-call on the flop and not chase off all the bluffs with a raise.

Pot is around 400 and villain bets 300 and you flopped the nuts so its time to see how we get it all-in. Check calling all the way wont do it besides you are OOP so check raising as done is good. You check raise to 1000 and he calls. Pot is now 2400 and you have 4.7 behind.
Hero is IP btw, as he is on the button. he didn't check-raise the flop, but even if hero was OOP, I personally wouldn't check-raise, like ever with a nuts, but only check-call. In case flop goes check-check, then go for value on the turn yourself.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, 36s is a bit wide for a re-raise, especially against loose opponents. Once you hit the nuts on the flop, why are you raising his c-bet? I mean, if he really does have a wide range of opening hands, then something like 89 is in his range, or maybe hands that you stated A3, A5, 56. Can those hands realistically call your re-raise on the flop? I personally don't think so. Basically you raised to get the pot bigger, but really you can't make it bigger by too many hands, some overpairs, 2P and sets maybe, but how many of those does he have there? In this particular spot, sure, he has a 2P and your bet worked, but in like 90% of other cases it won't and you don't get value.
Apart from that, the bet on the turn is fine IMO, but for some future hands I suggest going for check-call on the flop and not chase off all the bluffs with a raise.

I would agree most of the time, but what sort of 3-bet range does that hit? Even loose players aren't really going to raise with 25o, are they? I raise here to represent maybe AK looking to take it down. (Remember that both of us could also have value hands like AA in our range.) Good point though.