$200 NLHE Full Ring: Raise AJ suited in the Small Blind against limpers

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game played live at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas so I don't have full data.

The game is half tourist and half decent players or perhaps pros making up the rest. About ever 1/3 hand is limped around. Hero is in the SB, has the table covered, and has been aggressive. Hero seldom limps and has raised limpers several times.Villain limps sometimes and opens others. She has semi-bluffed and hit to win a smaller pot and is in the cutoff with ~$287.
Pre-Flop: ($10) Hero is SB with AJ
4 limpers, Hero raises to $22, 2 players fold, CO calls $20, and BT calls $20,

Flop: ($68) A K J(3 players)
Hero bets $45, CO calls $45, BT folds

Turn: ($158) 8(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $90, CO raises to $220 (all-in), Hero calls

I doubt Villain has AA, KK, or AK, she would not have limped or raised preflop. QT completes the straight and 88 is winning. I block JJ. I am thinking semi bluff on the flush draw, so I call. Should I have?

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The game is half tourist and half decent players or perhaps pros making up the rest. About ever 1/3 hand is limped around. Hero is in the SB, has the table covered, and has been aggressive. Hero seldom limps and has raised limpers several times.Villain limps sometimes and opens others. She has semi-bluffed and hit to win a smaller pot and is in the cutoff with ~$287.

I doubt Villain has AA, KK, or AK, she would not have limped or raised preflop. QT completes the straight and 88 is winning. I block JJ. I am thinking semi bluff on the flush draw, so I call. Should I have?

Well if he got 88 and he payed seeing this scaring flop knowing that you raised pre-flop he's totally insane and got super lucky, so i think he's between Q T and a Draw. I think your size bets were great, if he had go all in on the flop i would fold considering a straight (Q T and limp sounds like a plan), but he did just after and i would say he is on semi-bluff mode pursuing a flush (or maybe he waited the river just to fire the final bullet with his Q T knowing that you would call, to choose correctly you have to know his image e.g: Tight Aggressive, Tight Passive, Loose Aggressive, Loose passive and know his pattern betting).

So with he is LAG i would fold, you have 15 outs (9 to complete the flush, 6 to complete a full house) but only one card left, 30% of winning if he has a straight.

If he is a tight aggressive i would call all day long.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Honestly, for some reason people like to limp with just almost anything, especially in early positions, rather then make a bet pre.

In my latest session, UTG limped with AKo, MP limped with 77s. I had JT and raised from the BU and not one of them re-raised me or anything, just called. The flop, I remember was AK2 (giving UTG guy a top2) and he made a donk bet of about 2 times the pot. Ofc 2 folds afterwards.

Not only that, the table dynamics was such that everyone was always limping, and calling almost any bet pre flop. Like a new line of limp-calling pre-flop.

That being said, I can see V having almost anything now. Personally, the way it was played, maybe a set of Js, maybe KJ, maybe a gut shot like KQ, AQ, QJ. Also QT is a possibility.
Basically, more combos that you beat, instead of those you are losing to, not to mention that you have some outs in case V has a straight... I would call in your spot, and would be thinking I am good more often then not.

What suit is that J? If you have AJd then that J on the flop is not a diamond? If it is a heart it changes things a lot on the turn and not for the better.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By your analysis the only hands you are currently losing to would be Q10 and 88...for me, you are too strong to fold. I call here almost all day long unless you are pretty sure they are a loose player and have a high possibility of holding the straight...you have 2 hands that beat you, i think i make the call even if there is a chance of being beat. I think they possibly do the same thing with KJ holding the K of diamonds trying to push you away from AK or AQ, etc...so anyhow, i think given the circumstances - you call and see what happens.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And .... Villain had QT off

Villain turn over QT for the straight and I binked an ace to win. Villain stood up and walked out of the Poker room without a word..

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice win, but what is the flop?

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he never has 88 lol theres no way anyone calls half pot bet on the flop with 3 overs on it in that spot, only hand u lose to is q10 so we pretty much have to call always, sadly we also block kj so its more likely he has the q10 coz thats only other hand that makes sense, if hes limp calling he could have like a10 and overplay it aswell so we gotta call with 2 pair

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you have a flush draw or not? Cause your J of diamonds in your hand is also on the board, so you probably made a mistake.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So with he is LAG i would fold, you have 15 outs (9 to complete the flush, 6 to complete a full house) but only one card left, 30% of winning if he has a straight.

How come he have 6 outs to a full house?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on what you have. The hand history gives both you and the board Jwhich makes it hard to say anything about how to play the hand.

Given the betting on the flop and turn you range looks very strong (top) two pair or better so I cant see him bluffing in this spot often enough to make a call without a flush draw.

You need to call 130 more to win a pot of ~600 which is about 22%

So
1)
You have the flush draw then it is an easy call as you have probably 15 outs or ~ 30% which is more then enough given the all-in bet size.
2)
You don't have a flush draw then I would fold you have only ~12% if he does not have AK or JJ.

With AK I might call as that hand could be ahead against AJ e.g. also.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is either AJdd with a rainbow flop or AJo with a two diamond board. Either way, I'm never putting 88 in villain's range when they call flop.

It's basically QT they're repping. If it's a flush draw board, I discount QT a LITTLE because they are likely to raise flop on such a coordinated board, but if it's rainbow I'd assume they can have it pretty often.

Now the question is, would they play A8 this way, or ANY semibluffs this way. I assume no semibluffs tbh. I would not be HAPPY calling it off here. I'd be very on the fence in game and it would come down to what I think of the player, what they look like, etc. I don't really fault the call off with such a strong hand but keep in mind we should have many stronger hands here to call off with like sets and straights ourselves.

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too good to fold...particularly live...and even more so in a tourist location...you opp just dosent have it enough (particulary given stack sizes...if you were each 1k deep, maybe play it differently...) but as played is just fine...it sucks that you dont win this as much as you want to, but you win it more than enough to be profitable

Last edited:
R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If villain had more money (and raised higher), I am folding turn unless I have the flush draw also. Because... Does it really make sense for villain to have KJ or A8? A bluff? That’s essentially what you are putting them on by calling.

However, with such a small raise, you have about the right odds to be +EV.

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can never fold 2 pair here with the backdoor royal/flush draw. You're calling 130 to win a total pot of 598 basically 1:4.5 on your money plus if you're behind somehow you have 13 cards to hit to take it down. Aces, kings or AK would have reraised you preflop.