$200 NLHE Full Ring: Live 1/2 flop trip 8s with top kicker rainbow board against known aggro...

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$200 NLHE Full Ring: Live 1/2 flop trip 8s with top kicker rainbow board against known aggro...

Hero is on button with Ad8d. Known aggro player in mid position bets usual $12 raise. Folds around and hero calls:

Flop comes Kc8h8s

Pot is around $27

Villain bets $20.

Hero has trip 8s and reraises to $60.

Villian thinks for a minute, "jokes" that hero's bet is "a nervous bet." and calls.

Turn is 6d making the board Kc8h8s6d

Pot is around $147.

Villian bets around $75.

Hero?

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like opponent is very very strong here.

He's trying to entice you to overestimating your hand.

Did you say anything to him? movements? that you could think of.

I mean if he didn't joke like that, i'm going all-in and be happy about it because he most likely will have AK or something we crush and we just need to be thinking how are we going to get the money in!, but his comment suggests he has KK

so yeah looking at it without any reads or anything.
1. SHOW ME THE MONEY!
2. With that read it's like ****! how the hell am I beat? But can we ever fold here. Not sure about that... It also could be a good comment to actually bluff against us.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like opponent is very very strong here.

He's trying to entice you to overestimating your hand.

Did you say anything to him? movements? that you could think of.

I mean if he didn't joke like that, i'm going all-in and be happy about it because he most likely will have AK or something we crush and we just need to be thinking how are we going to get the money in!, but his comment suggests he has KK

so yeah looking at it without any reads or anything.
1. SHOW ME THE MONEY!
2. With that read it's like ****! how the hell am I beat? But can we ever fold here. Not sure about that... It also could be a good comment to actually bluff against us.

Oh yeah he's a talker. I do tend to sometimes move around a lot against known aggro players. If I think I have them crushed at the time I want them to start believing their hand is better and that they're pressuring me. I want to look nervous and unsure. I tend to do the Durrr stare at the felt to mix it up though or when they're staring at me or asking too many questions but then will make some motion when i think they think they're trying to shake me. Sometimes it makes them even more aggressive with their bets! When he said that I made a show of stumbling a bit counting my chips and smiling before counting the bet a few times before putting it in the middle. I believe on flop I correctly read that if I shoved over his pot bet he'd insta fold. He didn't have KK or K8 and obviously at the turn he continues to fire into the pot.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't possibly be considering a fold, so the question is call or raise.

If u raise, you've polarized ur hand and will either shut it down there or basically be committed for ur stack against a raise or on the river.

If u call, u can disguise ur hand, maybe miss some value, but also entice a river bet from villain.

It's hard to put u on an 8 either way, so it comes down to how u think u could extract most value.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't possibly be considering a fold, so the question is call or raise.

If u raise, you've polarized ur hand and will either shut it down there or basically be committed for ur stack against a raise or on the river.

If u call, u can disguise ur hand, maybe miss some value, but also entice a river bet from villain.

It's hard to put u on an 8 either way, so it comes down to how u think u could extract most value.

Thanks for the feedback. This was much of my thought process. Pre flop he raises, I call, flop comes, he bets nearly pot, i tank a bit and bet 3x his bet, he insta calls. He puts me on AK here or maybe AA or QQ. I did contemplate jamming the flop raise but then I shut it down risking over $140ish more to win like $45-$50. Turn comes, he immediately fires off about half the pot.

I thought I was getting max value at this point and raking it in. Well he played like a maniac in a hand he had no business being in and took the pot down (as well as my entire stack) with a 7.37% chance on flop to win. He two outed me on the turn.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback. This was much of my thought process. Pre flop he raises, I call, flop comes, he bets nearly pot, i tank a bit and bet 3x his bet, he insta calls. He puts me on AK here or maybe AA or QQ. I did contemplate jamming the flop raise but then I shut it down risking over $140ish more to win like $45-$50. Turn comes, he immediately fires off about half the pot.

I thought I was getting max value at this point and raking it in. Well he played like a maniac in a hand he had no business being in and took the pot down (as well as my entire stack) with a 7.37% chance on flop to win. He two outed me on the turn.

Yeah, that's brutal. Just remind urself you will make money 93% of the time there. When a maniac gets lucky you are usually going to pay them off.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, that's brutal. Just remind urself you will make money 93% of the time there. When a maniac gets lucky you are usually going to pay them off.

Haha thanks. Yeah it was brutal. And baffling considering he was leading the action with a small pocket pair on a flop he should have dumped them on as soon as I re-raised him. The table actually briefly erupted in a debate as to whether or not my play was incorrect on the flop (2 players thought I had given him the turn either free or just with a call), the villain had to correct them and note that I did in fact bet into him massively ahead, he chose to call "because it was only X amount of $$$" lol.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His speech does indicate strength but he could probably think AK or AA is the nuts here... or maybe 66... Awful that he got rewarded for this.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His speech does indicate strength but he could probably think AK or AA is the nuts here... or maybe 66... Awful that he got rewarded for this.

Yeah he had 66. We talked a little after the hand and I told him I could give him credit for AK, he said "well when the turn hit i didn't even care if you had a bigger boat , I'm getting it in there." I didn't tell him how bad that play was because I know I'll play against him many more time so I want him to keep doing it.

But yeah it's rough seeing really really bad play rewarded like that. I could give him some credit for being aggro and trying to rep like KK or K8 there but when I'm tight and patient and play back at you, most even maniac LAGs will shut it down unless they have multiple outs. Even on the turn I still had what 7 outs that could have out boated him on river.

The whole table was a bit stunned. And that was about 3 hands after I reloaded from missing a nearly 5:1 odds pot to draw to the nut flush.

All that aside, I definitely pegged AK as reasonable here given how i've seen him play.

Organize a Home Poker Game