Chips
live cash game
9 seated
$1/$2 NLHE

Hero is dealt :ks4::jh4: on BTN w/ 142.5 BB stack

Villain is in BB w/ 84 BB stack

No notes

PREFLOP
action folds to hero on BTN who opens for 3.5 BB. SB folds. Villain in BB calls.

FLOP (7.5 BB) :ad4: :jd4: :10c4:
BB checks. Hero bets 4.5 BB. Villain calls.

TURN (16.5 BB) :9d4:
BB checks. Hero checks.

RIVER (16.5 BB) :10h4:
BB bets 25 BB. Hero?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played if you're going to c-bet in position on this flop esp at live 1/2 , make it around 3/4 pot if not larger, turn check is ok, river ez fold to raise and I'd be happy if villain checks this river and we check back. Sometimes our middle pair is good, other times not - like in this hand. But that river raise from BB is a lot of hands that beat us.

If this was higher stakes we could maybe reason it's an overbet bluff or the nuts; at 1/2 live it could be paired Ace, two pair, a set, a flush, a straight. It's likely a flush or straight made as they flatted your flop bet.

Some players might even advocate just calling the BB pre since it's just BB vs you with a not so great hand for 1/2 live and you'll have position ,save money, and know where you're at if BB checks flop.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seem like a very easy fold to me. He overbet the pot, and so many different hands beat you. A full house, a flopped straight, a turned flush, trips, even just any ace. Its kind of difficult to imagine, what he can even have, that he call you with on the flop, which you are still ahead of, when essentially everything got there.

He is calling out of position on this board with pocket 4`s and now turning it into a wild bluff? I dont think so, unless he is a complete maniac, and you did not give any information about that.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often times its better to put marginal made hands like second pair into your check-call range and use them as bluff catchers. However in this situation we also have a gutshot draw, and we are against a wide range, so I think, checking and C-betting are pretty close. Which is also why, I did not comment about it in my original post.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In principle it seems very well played the preflop.
On the flop, you are blocking major straight, and your bet is of an important size (around 60% of the pot) that implies greater equity for the villain (in the case that he had a colored project).
On the turn the check is correct, since you can not block the color and
other stairs open for the villain.
On the river the bet of the villain is of an important size and represents strength, since the villain put a third of his stack in this hand.
At this point we can not imagine a villain, who wants to cheat us or who is going to withdraw his hand, in front of a re-raise.
Also our king is weakened by the table ace (the kicker is blocking us)
If I do not have the villain's information, I think this is a painful fold.
I think his bet on the river, may want to induce a bluff on my part, and in that case I think the last card of the board benefits the villain much more than me.
Greetings.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably wouldn't cbet this flop either. As played, easy river fold. I'm not sure why he'd make such a big bet...feels like a bluff. At the same time, I'm not sure why he'd bluff here. And there really aren't many hands that he's defending preflop, will call post flop, and are not beating you. Maybe Q9 or K9? He could even have turned Jx into a bluff considering you showed weakness and that's a bad runout and tough call for AQ/AK/QQ/KK. For me, villain having 10 9 is the most logical hand. Also possibly K 10 or Q 10 of diamonds.

S

Sam Powers

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any advocates for a healthy turn bet trying to get a fold, with plans to check back the river?

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any advocates for a healthy turn bet trying to get a fold, with plans to check back the river?

Maybe I guess. I personally don't like making big moves at such wet boards. There are a ridiculous number of 2 pair combos that probably continue on that board to a big bet. KQ is the only realistic straight, and there aren't a ton of flushes you can have. You'd basically be representing a set...but again tough for this guy to fold any 2 pair combo.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop is ok, it's player dependent. Players defend even wider than normal live, and they will call a wider than advisable range on the flop as well. So betting flop is ok. Turn check is fine, and river is an easy fold. You have blockers to some straights, but Tx and diamonds are heavily in his range and he can be VBing there hoping you get stubborn w/ two pair or Tx when he has a flush.