$200 NLHE Full Ring: Double paired board with AA

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is Lag with a big stack, about 1200 BB. Been involved in lots of pots. Running super hot

Villain is Tag with another large stack, 1100ish BB. Haven’t seen much action out of him in last 30 minutes. Not much else. Keeps looking at his watch, i think he is getting ready to leave. Been playing for a long time.

Action folds to hero in MP
Hero raises to 7 with As Ac
Action folds to Co, 3-bets to 20.
Folds to villain In BB, 4-bets to 50
Hero 5-bets to 125.
Co folds.
Villain tanks, calls.

Flop Qs Qc Td pot: 270

Villain bets 100
Hero calls.

Turn 9h pot 470
Villain checks.
Hero bets 250
Villain calls.

River Tc Pot: 970
Villain checks.
Is a check behind appropriate here? I sorta wanted to do that, Pot is already huge and my hand is vulnerable to being c -raised.

Hero bets 450, though.
Villain check raises to 1000.
Hero?

I don't think i could check that turn and river with a lone queen. The river looks like a value bet, but it is sorta suspect. If I'm gonna call off a grand, he might as well jam it, right? I feel like he left himself enough behind that if he is bluffing and gets called, he can still walk out ahead.

** side note: I don't like playing this deep and usually cash out when i'm this far ahead, but it was like i couldn't lose a pot if i tried, so i kept going.

*** I call him on the river, felt like i blocked enough AQ combos, and he had a lot of KK and the occasional AK bluff.

Last edited:
Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
interesting handI don't know how loose live players play but his range should be super tight. Might be some AQ there since you are very deep
So I can put him on AK,KK,AQ,QQ & perhaps JJ & that's it. I'd expect him to 6bet aces

I think I'm probably checking back river although uncertain. interested what others have to say
Quads make a lot of sense though although I wouldn't donk flop

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Frankly I like how you played the hand up until and through the turn for sure, and it feels a LOT like how he'd play KK (up until the river, then he kinda has to be turning it into a bluff after putting you mostly on AA).

I just really struggle to see him playing flopped QQ and TT this way ever. I doubt he ever gets here pre with 99 and likely doesn't play flop this way.

JJ and KK both are possible, but I don't mind checking back river because I feel it's hard for those hands to pay us off despite us having a weird image. It's hard not to be a bit results-oriented here though since you did end up getting check raised. I wouldn't be expecting to get check raised often on the river though so by itself that's not a good reason to check behind imo.

It's just so annoying because it's so rare to play 5bet pots where people are even capable of bluffing or you are even deep enough to get to rivers with money behind. So it's a weird dynamic already, and river check raises are SO rarely bluffs, especially at these levels.

I probably just roll my eyes and call, praying to see KK and JJ some portion of the time. At the end of the day there's 2 combos of quads, and 4 combos of AQ, and that assumes that he both cold 4bets it 100%, and plays it this way post 100% of the time, both of which I find super unlikely. So 6 combos possible we lose to, and KK and JJ together are 12 combos. I also don't think those play it this way even close to 100% of the time but if we're discounting all combos to some degree, I think this becomes a call. Plus if he can spaz with AK sometimes this is definitely a call.

But again it comes back down to asking questions that we can't really know about him, but you might? Like CAN he ever turn KK and JJ into bluffs here? DOES he ever even get to the river with AK. Those are the things that allow this to be a call. Otherwise it's just too hard for him to have random bluffs, and even while unlikely, the boats and quads take over.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very interesting hand.

I would put villain on ATo, JJ, KQ and KJo given the stack size. I think he could have put you on AA and KK exactly and tried to extract more value on the river with AT,KQ,KJ.