$200 NLHE Full Ring: Bad value raise or just bad luck?

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stakes $1-3 Hero KQ C 5 limpers Hero raises to $10 on the button, 1 fold 4 callers. Flop is Jc 9d 3c. couple people check villain donk bets $15 one fold, Hero calls others fold. Heads up turn is 3s villain bets $20 hero calls river is 10d villain leads for $50 he only has $70 behind so I raise him all in and he calls with his 9 3 offsuit boat. villain was in the big blind. Did I play this wrong somewhere or was it just a cooler?

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you bluff the river or did you have a flush. As written, you have King high? Also, any info on villain?

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never mind, straight. Hard to follow as written. Again, any info on villains?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Did you bluff the river or did you have a flush. As written, you have King high? Also, any info on villain?
????

He had a straight.

So the villain was playing this like he had two pairs on the flop. However, he unexpectedly had 93 rather than J9... Pretty loose play with 93 but hey, maybe he had the stack to go for it? Anyway, I would say this is a cooler, but keep in mind when villain plays strong like that from the start that maybe a more cautious approach on the river may save you some money.

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never mind, straight. Hard to follow as written. Again, any info on villains?
Sorry new to posting. Only info on villain is middle age with a slightly short stack comparative to table. This happened in my first orbit.

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
????

He had a straight.

So the villain was playing this like he had two pairs on the flop. However, he unexpectedly had 93 rather than J9... Pretty loose play with 93 but hey, maybe he had the stack to go for it? Anyway, I would say this is a cooler, but keep in mind when villain plays strong like that from the start that maybe a more cautious approach on the river may save you some money.
He was kinda short stacked really so I guess he was just defending his big blind with garbage. I could put him on J9 but I couldn't really put him on a boat. I don't think a set of J or 9 leads on the flop and he could have had quads but thats pretty unlikely so the paired board didn't really scare me. I really just put him on J9, maybe a smaller straight or while unlikely maybe A3 suited.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My bad, I just missed it. Its hard to fault you for jamming here, but what position was Villain in? Was he the 4th caller after your raise pre? I agree that it looks like 2 pair on the flop, but at these 1/3 games, I see so much limp calling with rags. By the time it gets to later positions relative to the raise, you hear a lot of "I have to call now with any 2" Jamming straights and flushes into paired boards always risks running into boats.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have raised a lot more preflop.

Probably $15-20.

I really don't want 4-callers....just too many even in good position.

Good luck !

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad, I just missed it. Its hard to fault you for jamming here, but what position was Villain in? Was he the 4th caller after your raise pre? I agree that it looks like 2 pair on the flop, but at these 1/3 games, I see so much limp calling with rags. By the time it gets to later positions relative to the raise, you hear a lot of "I have to call now with any 2" Jamming straights and flushes into paired boards always risks running into boats.
He was 2nd to last after the raise pre flop. There is always a risk on a paired board and I am a new poker player (about 3 months) but from what I've been learning its still a good idea to go for value with a good hand, especially in a hand like this where the boats just didn't seem to make sense. It is too obvious if you only jam with the nuts.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He was kinda short stacked really so I guess he was just defending his big blind with garbage. I could put him on J9 but I couldn't really put him on a boat. I don't think a set of J or 9 leads on the flop and he could have had quads but thats pretty unlikely so the paired board didn't really scare me. I really just put him on J9, maybe a smaller straight or while unlikely maybe A3 suited.
Then you got coolered by a fish. Just make notes and adjust in the future to value bet him harder and be cautious when the board pairs.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man if this is live poker my NORMAL open would be MUCH bigger than $10. And we are talking about 5 limpers in front of you? The absolute stone MINIMUM I'd be making it here would be like $25 pre.

The whole hand is kinda messed because of it. We go 5 ways to a flop where we are effectively against limpers' ranges because we didn't raise enough to really let anyone fold anything. (How we got that ONE fold is even beyond me.)

But whatever, we got here, and we have to live with it. The pot is something like $55 (but let's just call it $50 post-rake). Villain leads for $15, folds to us, and we have a mega draw. Flush draw, gutter, two overs. AND the guy is leading with a sizing that screams of weakness on this 5way board. People REALLY tend to bet bigger live with these wet textures when they have something actually good. This feels something like a "set my price" or "I have second pair and a backdoor gutter and have no idea what to do" type bet.

You're not going to find a much bigger slam dunk raise spot with a semi bluff in live poker than this imo. But whatever. We call.

I mean now on the turn when he bets again I'm probably just calling because I'm confused about what's going on and am feeling less confident about getting him to fold frankly. It's probably slightly better to realize our equity when we face this size, though I'd still contend we have SOME fold equity here.

So we call, the river comes gin for us, and makes us feel like a genius for not raising the flop. We get it in because we made our hand, and villain can have approximately a billion worse hands, and really SHOULDN'T have better (note the giant SHOULDN'T not CAN'T here).

When he shows up with this hand we note that he's horrible, but also remind ourselves that we protect ourselves from this nonsense by raising to something halfway reasonable preflop.

/end rant about preflop sizing

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man if this is live poker my NORMAL open would be MUCH bigger than $10. And we are talking about 5 limpers in front of you? The absolute stone MINIMUM I'd be making it here would be like $25 pre.

The whole hand is kinda messed because of it. We go 5 ways to a flop where we are effectively against limpers' ranges because we didn't raise enough to really let anyone fold anything. (How we got that ONE fold is even beyond me.)

But whatever, we got here, and we have to live with it. The pot is something like $55 (but let's just call it $50 post-rake). Villain leads for $15, folds to us, and we have a mega draw. Flush draw, gutter, two overs. AND the guy is leading with a sizing that screams of weakness on this 5way board. People REALLY tend to bet bigger live with these wet textures when they have something actually good. This feels something like a "set my price" or "I have second pair and a backdoor gutter and have no idea what to do" type bet.

You're not going to find a much bigger slam dunk raise spot with a semi bluff in live poker than this imo. But whatever. We call.

I mean now on the turn when he bets again I'm probably just calling because I'm confused about what's going on and am feeling less confident about getting him to fold frankly. It's probably slightly better to realize our equity when we face this size, though I'd still contend we have SOME fold equity here.

So we call, the river comes gin for us, and makes us feel like a genius for not raising the flop. We get it in because we made our hand, and villain can have approximately a billion worse hands, and really SHOULDN'T have better (note the giant SHOULDN'T not CAN'T here).

When he shows up with this hand we note that he's horrible, but also remind ourselves that we protect ourselves from this nonsense by raising to something halfway reasonable preflop.

/end rant about preflop sizing

I get the idea of raising more pre but I know most of the players at the table and nobody is calling more than 10 or maybe 15 unless they have JJ-AA and some of them still don't ever raise those hands. The idea behind raising to 10 is to fold out garbage like 9-3 that shouldn't call any bet imo. Usually 10-15 will only get 2 or 3 callers and 25 will make them all fold

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get the idea of raising more pre but I know most of the players at the table and nobody is calling more than 10 or maybe 15 unless they have JJ-AA and some of them still don't ever raise those hands. The idea behind raising to 10 is to fold out garbage like 9-3 that shouldn't call any bet imo. Usually 10-15 will only get 2 or 3 callers and 25 will make them all fold

That seems really inconsistent with what actually ended up happening, and frankly if they're just gonna auto fold and hand me $15-20 I'm okay with that too.

Experiment with going a LITTLE larger. You don't have to go to $25, but you really don't want 3 callers either so I'd be going over 10 for sure... Even getting 2 callers isn't really ideal. Your goal when raising these spots should generally be to get HU (most common), take it down pre (next common), or 3 ways (least common). If you are going 4way+ to the flop frequently, you're raising way too small pre.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a cooler in my opinion. I agree with the pre flop raise sizing. 5 limpers in front you have to go at least 20. If they all fold you just made $20 in about 20 seconds with K high. That's about $3,600 / hour. Take the free money, it adds up! Post flop I like the smooth call but dont disagree with a raise when we have flush draw, gut shot, and two overs. Since we didn't raise and after the board pairs we have to accept that we could now be drawing dead. We can't decide to draw to straights and flushes on a paired board and then call it a cooler when we hit and it's still no good. V is sizing small and we have position so if we hit AND he continues AND we get to raise AND he calls AND he doesn't have a boat or better we are in good shape. See how many things have to go right here? We put ourselves in a spot we should never be in starting pre flop.