Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live £1/1, very soft field

HJ: £250 , quite new to the table, looks recreational
BTN(Hero): £250+
BB: £100 , loose preflop but haven't been involved in 3bet pot,
straight forward postflop

HJ raises to £7, BTN with AAre-raised to £30, BB called and HJ called.

Flop: £91
T87♠

BB checked. HJ bet £60. Hero ??

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely don't fold.
Your aces should still have about 35% equity - this assumes villain is not only betting sets and two pairs but also potential draws.
With that in mind we have to at least call.
Raising is an option if you want to knock out the BB.

I prefer calling because I have position on my opponents.
This is isn't a great board for AA so calling does keep the pot smaller

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live £1/1, very soft field

HJ: £250 , quite new to the table, looks recreational
BTN(Hero): £250+
BB: £100 , loose preflop but haven't been involved in 3bet pot,
straight forward postflop

HJ raises to £7, BTN with AAre-raised to £30, BB called and HJ called.

Flop: £91
T87♠

BB checked. HJ bet £60. Hero ??

Jam. BB flatting a 3b oop is really bad and indicates massive fishy behavior. HJ's donk shows weakness.

I think the options go Jam>Fold>Call. You can fold and its probably not the worst move, but I think live 1/1, just jam over the top and if you he flatted a 3b/flopped 2p or set oop, so be it. It's only 100 bbs.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Can someone run the EV calculation on this? Jamming looks like a terrible idea here in terms of getting value from the hands that may be in this pot. Calling or a raise makes more sense for seeing what the remaining player's action will be and keeping the pot a reasonable size for this type of board.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can someone run the EV calculation on this? Jamming looks like a terrible idea here in terms of getting value from the hands that may be in this pot. Calling or a raise makes more sense for seeing what the remaining player's action will be and keeping the pot a reasonable size for this type of board.

Granted, maybe I'm reading this HH wrong formatting wise or something, but....

Calling is worst option imo. 1. BB only has 69 bbs OTF. BB is essentially all in on the call, so his hand is meaningless imo. I'm never folding overpair here with 2/3 PSB left by villain. 2. It isn't a board that's really ever going to improve for us imo. By just flatting HJ's donk, we just allow HJ to improve. HJ donked into us in a 3b pot, which screams of weakness.

I don't have an equity calc handy, but giving HJ a range of like T7+, all one pair + straight draw's like 79, 89, T9, and all the flush draw hands + Ax hh, + the occasional J8/68/TT/99/77 played very strangely, I assume we are still well ahead of that range.

Regardless, the 3b donk doesn't indicate strength and this is a 1/1 live game at very low limits. I'm pretty much ever folding here with a ratio of like 1.7 stack:pot size.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I am somewhere in the middle here. I think deuces is generally on point that this lead out from the HJ is rarely going to be a mega strong hand. The times when it is, it's when this player irrationally fears check backs and free cards so much that he's leading sets here.

But this can easily be a top pair holding, JJ-KK, maybe 99, I mean at these stakes it could be second pair and a gutter FFS. I like jamming bc we deny equity to villain's whole range, we will not know what cards we don't want to see on turn if we call, and the pot size is so bloated already.

However I for sure have run into the nuts here before where live players are just so horrified of seeing a bad turn card that they just lead out themselves with their nutted holdings. But when you don't have some kind of sick read here, you can't be just folding, and calling just seems... bad.

I'm jamming too and living with whatever consequences may be.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets see the pot is 90+60 = 150 to start with if you call 60 the pot would be 210 and you will have 250-30-60=160 behind so jamming is a good option here.

Yes he will call with sets but he will also likely call with flush draws and over pairs like KK-QQ-JJ and 99 if he can have 88 and 77 he can have 99. Against sets you will get all in on the turn anyway so you don't save money by not jamming the flop. Some of these hands that call an all-in might shut down on the turn if they don't improve and e.g. a heart comes of or an A.

The only thing against jamming is that the BB is more likely to call when you call and not jam but that is probably only a small percentage of the time.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone, I folded this spot as I tend to give credit to opponents unless proven otherwise, especially BB acting behind who may be more likley to have 88 to JJ.

But now I think I should defend (jam) AA without heart here as I don't block flush draws and this is likely to be the best hand I had apart from set.

What I learned from HJ later he is a loose recreational and tried weird bluff so I can see QQ,JJ with a heart should be in his range, and ATs, 99, T8s,87s as well.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone, I folded this spot as I tend to give credit to opponents unless proven otherwise, especially BB acting behind who may be more likley to have 88 to JJ.

But now I think I should defend (jam) AA without heart here as I don't block flush draws and this is likely to be the best hand I had apart from set.

What I learned from HJ later he is a loose recreational and tried weird bluff so I can see QQ,JJ with a heart should be in his range, and ATs, 99, T8s,87s as well.

Yeah I think the issue is that live, a lot of guys are loose-ish recs who do stuff that don't make sense. There are still a lot of spots where it makes sense to overfold, I just don't think this is one of them.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, in standart spot, call will be better than another moves. But if you know the opponent you may consider the raise. Turn bet and river check behind.

N

new8473

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain doesn't have lots of money behind and I would reraise $130 putting him all in given his range, draw or pair. You do not have ace of hearts blocker and put him to a decision.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, here is a possible range that could open from the hi-jack and then call a 3-bet. At this point, BTN is 71% favorite.

If we assume there are no air-balls in his range, we can narrow to QQ-77, ATs, QTs+, J9s+, 87s, 65s. BTN is 52% favorite. I would call and re-evaluate on turn. It's in BTN favor that he doesn't hold :ah4:.

Attachments

• open-call from HJ.jpg
    open-call from HJ.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 23
  • lead flop.jpg
    lead flop.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 23
Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a 3-bet pot and the flop was not to help the opponents. Although, if they both fish here are possible abound. We have to do 3-bet and be exposed if the opponent does 4-bet push to Call - a bad idea, because half the deck will ruin our lives

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree. Just calling to see the turn texture and go from there. Very wet board so AA post flop has to play carefully or the reverse implied odds will concur.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont show them free card. reraise it. you can fold to a high betting shove