Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live £1/1

LJ: £250 loose recreational
HJ: £250
BB: £150 new to the table

LJ called, HJ with AQ raised to £6, BB re-raised to £28. LJ folded and HJ called.

Flop: (£57, 2 players)
A74

BB bet £22 and HJ called.

Turn: (£101, 2 players)

BB bet £100 (all in), HJ ?

Questions:
1. If you are HJ, would you fold on the turn or preflop?
2. What if you hold AJs?

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With no reads I'd 4bet preflop.
As played I guess we have to call. It's a pot size bet we have to call so we can't fold top pair, even if it's AJ - we have to accept we will be beat here sometimes.
With no reads on villain we have to use math to justify a call and top pair easily has higher than 33% equity here.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a live game, this seems like an obvious fold preflop to me. Most short stacked fish are weak tight players that 3bet infrequently.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I agree with the your action, and I would probably call that turn jam. I highly doubt he would play a set of aces so fast. Being a recreational player, I would think AK, AQ, AJ, KQs, and all pair from 77-AA are in his range.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre. Noone is 3betting wide enough to flat AQs, especially at that price imo.

N

new8473

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded on the turn because they showed strength throughout the hand and you do not have any reads on the opponent. So you do not know his range and typically if they have a pot beat they have 2 pairs already that makes their range better than your strong ace. Second question, AJs doesn't matter because you would only continue if you had a flush draw and pair for more equity verse a pot bet.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain 3bet you over 4x your initial raise. I know it might look like a tight fold, but it's the right one. Fold pre-flop to avoid these situations. This is AA, AK, and total spew bluffs. An occasional set of 7s. But without any reads on him, this should be a fold pre. You simply are not getting good enough odds to call.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing AKs from BB and 3bet >4x due to loose rec who may still call my raise. Reckon turn shove is not a good move generally as some may fold AQ at this spot but HJ tank-called.

Yes I also agree that I wouldn't 3bet OOP wide enough in live game as 1/1 players call too many raises preflop.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games