$200 NLHE Full Ring: 1/2 Should we Call this Overbet with Bottom Set?

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villains hand at bottom after Spoiler so due prudence if you don't want to know until after analysis

Hey all, 1/2; 650 effective

Hero has the image of a nit, Villain is gambling yet Thinking Player

Hero is UTG and raises to 12 dollars (table standard in order to induce folds) with 4d 4c

Villain calls in MP

$27 in Pot

Heads Up to Flop

Flop 5s 9s 4h

Hero leads out for 20

Villain Calls

$67 in Pot

Turn J d

Hero leads for 45

Villain Calls

$145 in Pot

River 2 h

Hero bets $40

Villain raises to $200

Hero?

What do y'all think of Hero's line, instead of leading should he be check-calling flop, check raising turn? Something else?

Bet for value on river too thin? or Too Small?

SpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoiler

SpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoile
SpoilerSpoilerSpoilerVillain turns over A s 3 d SpoilerSpoilerSpoiler
SpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoiler

SpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoiler

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would snap fold here to most players at my local 1/2 game ; these players are not capable of running a bluff like this, and your hand is a bluff catcher to this sizing. Turn raises are super nutted most of the time so you can exploit it and make the good fold.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your river bet size is very tricky , looks like thin value / blocker bet with TT, 54s, but may still induce villain to bluff with busted flush/straight draws so cannot fault you calling with bottom set here against competent players.

If villain is ABC, I would prefer betting 70% pot and snug-fold to a raise with this hand. When against tricky villain, would put this hand along with overpairs without blocker in river check-call range as there are a lot of busted draws.

very interesting river spot.

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean its tough but you could check/fold the river...seems too nitty too me...when playing for blood I personally like an overbet on the turn to punish my draw chasing opponents and not allow them good equity on a river shove

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just based on the board I felt like villain probably had A3, flopped a gut shot with an over. Your earlier bets could have been bigger to throw him off of his draw but you were betting fairly heavy based on pot size and betting more than that is usually not going to work in your favor because the only people that will call are already beating you. Your river bet was quite small and looks like weakness so he could have sensed that and decided to bluff you but knowing his hand he was always going to raise you regardless of what you bet.