€20 NLHE 6-max: Pot sized bets from unknown fish and I have a top pair with medium kicker

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
€20 NLHE 6-max: Pot sized bets from unknown fish and I have a top pair with medium kicker

These pot-sized bets from random fish made me scratch my head (only six hands from him for PT stats). On the turn, there is a possible flush, but fish didn't bet. On the River he hits again the bet button, pot sized. The only thing I know he is loose and aggressive, but I have only a top pair with a medium kicker and against huge bet, I have no idea what should I do. He can have basically anything. On the river, I was afraid he slowed his flush. Probably not. Before I lost a big pot by calling a pot-sized bet on the river (another player), I still don't know the psychology of so big bets on the River, they seems like a bluff, but then I lose. This still affects me on this hand.

I played this hand yesterday, but now with a clear mind, I think I made a mistake by folding this hand. Obviously, he is a weak player, and I try to analyze his game too much by bet sizings but it seems he has no idea how to bet. What are your thoughts? Would you play this hand differently?

iPoker - €0.20 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 122 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 16)
SB: 100.5 BB (VPIP: 22.35, PFR: 17.88, 3Bet Preflop: 10.26, Hands: 185)
BB: 62.4 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 50.00, Hands: 6)
UTG: 300.25 BB (VPIP: 36.14, PFR: 27.72, 3Bet Preflop: 8.15, Hands: 598)
MP: 130.45 BB (VPIP: 32.89, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 17.86, Hands: 78)
Hero (CO): 83.55 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q T

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (5.5 BB, 2 players) Q 2 9
BB bets 5.5 BB, Hero calls 5.5 BB

Turn: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 3
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 6
BB bets 16.5 BB, fold

BB wins 15.4 BB

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold in preflop. From that place the hand has little post flop strength. It is also susceptible to 3bet in preflop.
If you continued the fold on the river it seems correct. In your same line you lose with QJ; + .
In addition arrived 4-5 and possible color of spades. So I think you played well post flop.
Regards.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have played this hand the same way. Preflop, flop and turn seem very standard to me. Not even much to discuss there. The interesting part is the river, do we call him down? And I think, that this stop and go line is weighted towards value.

If he was bluffing, why not continue on the turn, when it was a scary card? If on the other hand he flopped a made hand, it makes sense to check the turn, because he dont want to get raised. But when you check back, he think, his hand is good, so he bet again on the river. Its also possible, he might sometimes check a flush for deception, especially the nut flush.

Finally, as you say, you have a bad kicker, and also pretty bad removal. You dont block the flush, but you block JT, which is one of the more logical bluffs, he could have. A player like this is certainly able to take this line with a hand like QJ. Its not nuts or nothing, so your kicker matter.

He is obviously a fairly wild player with this line and bet sizes, and often its a good idea to observe this kind of player a bit to pick up more reads, before getting involved in big pots. So even just for that reason as well, I prefer to just let him win a relatively small pot here, and then try to get after him later.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that has to be a call on the river. Since the turn got checked through, the pot isn't huge, and I've seen bad players do this with anything from 2nd pair to Ace high.