$20 NLHE 6-max: KQs hits flop the faces a hard turn bet, what to do?

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, first post.

WSOP - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (BTN): 129.4 BB
SB: -
BB: 96.45 BB
UTG: -
Hero (MP): -
CO: -

SB posts SB .5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has KQ

UTG folds, MP limp, CO limp, Hero Raises to 5BB. SB folds, BB raises to 11 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 6BB

Flop: (24 BB, 2 players) K♣ 5♠ 2
BB bets 18.75 BB, Hero calls 18.75BB

Turn: (59.05 BB, 2 players) 4
BB Bets 47BB, Hero calls 47BB

River: (147.5 BB, 2 players) 7♥
UTG bets 19.6 BB and is all in, Hero calls 19.6 BB

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I messed up the title, just to be clear this is a .10/.20 game.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is all just the BB's 3bet percentage. If it's high enough, you're okay (somewhere >8% overall). If not, you should fold preflop.

Jam the turn, don't leave 20 bb's behind.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never folding to that size of a 3b

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably fold turn. I feel like he is going to show up with AA or AK here almost every time. He isn't going to bet that flop with QQ or JJ and we block QQ. Not a lot of players are going to 3-bet something like KJ or KT, which is what you beat. But like what was said above if he is really loose and could be overvaluing TP with a Q or J kicker, then you can call.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably fold turn. I feel like he is going to show up with AA or AK here almost every time. He isn't going to bet that flop with QQ or JJ and we block QQ. Not a lot of players are going to 3-bet something like KJ or KT, which is what you beat. But like what was said above if he is really loose and could be overvaluing TP with a Q or J kicker, then you can call.

Same here. The first hand that came to my mind was AK... At those limits, players know how to play.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop it is a clear call with almost any hand just 6 BB more and pot was already 18 BB.

You flop top pair and villain cBets out cant fold here, but what can he have for a range a complete bluff, flush draw or backdoor flush draw or AA, AK, KK.

Turn is a brick and villain leads again big. Now it time to decide to either go all-in (as he could have a flush draw and will call and might shut down on the river) or fold as villain represents a better hand then yours. Think folding is the best option if you don't have any more info on the villain.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah villains range is pretty strong, don't think he will try to resteal given the way pre flop was played.
The turn is the big decision, I guess it's a fold.
I think from a pure math point of view it's a call but don't think your beating much here.

The 3bet is quite small though, so perhaps villain is a recreational player and over valuing a marginal hand. Tough decision I don't blame you for calling.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
W/o info you should be folding that turn. It's close though, and more info on opponent would be helpful. At these stakes, for the remaining of your stack, you're going to see better than KQ most of the time. If you are going with your hand, just shove the turn. You want to maximize vs. draws which you're hoping are heavy in his range at that point if you're continuing.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The SPR is 3.6. If you're folding the best hand you can hope to make to a turn bet, you should have folded to the 3bet in the first place.

Calling the 3bet with a plan to fold top pair in a 3.6 SPR pot is spew. KQ isn't a great hand, learn to fold preflop.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is top pair 2nd kicker "the best hand we could make"??

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u got 3bet preflop, u did call with KQs thats a very wishful call those hands for me are very hard to play u need to hit straight or flush or 2pairs atleast to go with other than that u will be most of the time dominated. all what u did post flop to me is a waste of money.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is top pair 2nd kicker "the best hand we could make"??
Anything better is unlikely (2 pair, straights, flushes, ect.). If you're putting in 11% of your stack pre, but only making a hand you're willing to stack less than 5% of the time, you'll be broke fast.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the game, on global, there are plenty of players that do this with QQ JJ or even AQ :icon_scra blows my mind everytime

on any site thats not global, then against an unknown i probably fold at some point during this hand... its just tough for me to find the logic behind calling the flop to fold to the same sizing on the turn... not sure if its realistic to assume an unknown stabs at the flop to give up on the turn?

CheesyToast

CheesyToast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, I think you can probably fold the turn here, and as others said, if you're going to continue, you may as well shove turn.

I haven't seen anyone recommend a 4-bet preflop, which I would strongly consider. It's a 4-bet/fold to the shove, certainly, but you've got great blockers and decent equity when called. Opponent could even end up folding things like AK/AQ offsuit, which would be wonderful for you.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We can't fold KQs vs a min 3b while we have position and we can let go of top pair post flop. The value of this hand pre is similar to 109s, speculative. Against some players and some sizes, I would call turn but not here.