Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB: $13.37 (66.9 bb)
BB: $44.30 (221.5 bb)
MP: $20 (100 bb)
Hero (CO): $20.62 (103.1 bb)
BTN: $20 (100 bb) (known reg, 20/17, 3Bet: 8 )

Preflop: Hero is CO with A
club4.gif
Q
spade4.gif

MP folds, Hero raises to $0.60, BTN raises to $1.80, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.20

Flop: ($3.90) 8
heart4.gif
Q
heart4.gif
club4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $2.14, Hero calls $2.14

Turn: ($8.18) 8
club4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $4.91, Hero calls $4.91

River: ($18) K
spade4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $11.15 and is all-in, Hero ???

I thought this was a super interseting hand that I played a couple of days ago and forgot to post it.
My thought on the flop was to call and maybe fold on the turn if the turn card was awful and he bets big or if the turn checks back I could value-bet the river on almost any card.
The turn card felt amazing, 88 is not less likely even though he might call that instead of 3Bet some of the time but its still one of the best turn cards. He could still have QQ+ but QQ is just one combo and I am blocking AA so its not likely that I am beat right here. I also think that he could V-bet KQ or AQ here so I have to call and on the river I should most likely fold to a bet because most peaople dont 3-barrel and Q's would probably check back.
Now this river card is interesting and I would like to hear what you guys would do.

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am unable to see the suits of the cards, must be a block somewhere. but I think, all being equal I wo9uls have raised his bet on the flop. You have no way to gauge his strength by just flat calling. If he flat calls your raise then you have gained control of the table and I would do at least 1/2 pot bet on turn. If he still calls then the river does indeed give pause. Check and see what he fires, fold if outrageous or over the top otherwise call. If the suits come into play at all, that would change things.
The way you played the hand I would think fold is in order on river.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice hand, now call the river. He's got a 3-bet percentage of like 8%, and he's been repping 88/A8s/QQ+ the whole hand. Story just doesn't add up. The only way I talk myself out of this is if he's really passive postflop, but 20/17's usually aren't.

Raising the flop accomplishes nothing but getting you stacked by the hands we beat. But calling a 3-bet out of position, we're essentially deciding to bluff catch the whole hand.

M

mr_kommpa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am unable to see the suits of the cards, must be a block somewhere. but I think, all being equal I wo9uls have raised his bet on the flop. You have no way to gauge his strength by just flat calling. If he flat calls your raise then you have gained control of the table and I would do at least 1/2 pot bet on turn. If he still calls then the river does indeed give pause. Check and see what he fires, fold if outrageous or over the top otherwise call. If the suits come into play at all, that would change things.
The way you played the hand I would think fold is in order on river.

I dont raise too much on the flop, that is for sure a leak but I have not yet figured out a good way to balance it out. Right here I dont really get why raising would be good? I mean maybe I could get some value out of KQ or maybe QJs but thats about it and if I countinue betting on the turn I dont think many worse combos will call.
There were a flush draw on the board which makes the raise a little better because I do raise flush draws sometimes. Still think AQ is a little too light.

M

mr_kommpa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice hand, now call the river. He's got a 3-bet percentage of like 8%, and he's been repping 88/A8s/QQ+ the whole hand. Story just doesn't add up. The only way I talk myself out of this is if he's really passive postflop, but 20/17's usually aren't.

Raising the flop accomplishes nothing but getting you stacked by the hands we beat. But calling a 3-bet out of position, we're essentially deciding to bluff catch the whole hand.

I agree. I thought that was interesting in this hand how the only over card acctually in this hand kind of helps me out because it blocks KK. The twist is though that I called and he showed me K9hh. I got totaly owned. He must have figured out which range he is representing and noticed that on this river card a shove would make no sense and could get called by a Q. Also a K didnt make sense in my range, only like KQ and he blocks it. Great play by him, other than the 3Bet, I didnt think that he would get out of line to exploit me like that, I took a note on him for sure ^^

M

MrGreen13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the line of obtain more information rasing the flop, but anyway as played I prefer fold the river.

I don't wanna be resutl oriented but how ends the hand? :D

I see the answer to my question above, sorry.

Last edited:
froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you look at it from his point of view, he re-raised, you flat called, you check on flop, he bets, you flat call again. He showed strength from the start. He is not only feeling that his king is good but you are chasing something. If you had raised his flop bet, it would have changed the dynamic. if he flat calls, you bet the turn hard and he folds. otherwise, you should have just folded on the flop. you allowed him to catch. just my opinion and no offense intended.

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not calling with AQo oop. I expect to lose a ton when the river card hits. AK is very likely, KQ and it's not impossible that he has 89s, 87s and a8s unless he knows you call 3bet oop a lot (if you do).. I fold the river as played. I tend to think he either valued bet KQ and got lucky on the river, or barrelled ak.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Slow no!!!

He reraises against CO, 77+, AJ+, ATs+, KQo, KJs+,QJs, AK, AQ
You call pre flop, flop, turn and river, in flop with 2 hearts, he did read you in a weak flush draw, when it dont come in river he shoves to you fold your "weak hand" that didnt hit hearts on the river,
I would bet on the flop, this miss was a fuse to end where ended.
If you would want he commit, you got it!!!
It's different when you is agressive and the opponent make a big bet on the river
Go and call. And NEVER MORE be passive!:deal::D

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I checked a bit in pokerstove with a polarized range and it's a pretty easy call on the river after all if he's somewhat aggressive. I'm a nit I guess ;)

Folding in Poker