K

Krollspell

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

New to this forum. :)

I would appreciate some fedback on this hand. I get a little lost playing medium pairs OOP lately and I feel I probably played this one too passively.

Opponent had been at the table for only a few rounds: 32/12/4 over 40 hands.

888 Poker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players

BTN: 169 BB
Hero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 100 BB
UTG: 211.5 BB
UTG+1: 146 BB
MP: 89 BB
MP+1: 120.5 BB
CO: 107.5 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T T

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) A 9 8
Hero checks, BTN bets 3.5 BB, Hero calls 3.5 BB

Turn: (14 BB, 2 players) 7
Hero checks, BTN bets 8 BB, Hero ?

Call? Re-raise? Fold?

Last edited:
K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
calling turn/river really depend on their wtsd/wsd imo
id call turn, but if river bet are close to pot & they had high wsd i might fold

then again, its only 40 hands so probably better to just fold turn

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Krollspell, welcome to CardsChat!!

With TT, particularly in a blinds against late position dynamics, I'd definitely be 3betting preflop.

As played I'm fine check calling both flop and turn, and I don't really want to turn this hand into a bluff on the turn yet since we still beat some bluffs. But I still vastly prefer a reraise pre.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probaby 3-bet Tens preflop. I think that TT is a hand where even if you are ahead on the flop, it is hard to realize it, especially with an overcard to your pair.

On the flop, i actually like check calling. Our range has way more 56, TJ, 67 combos than his that are drawing to the str8. Obviously we hate that Ace, because there really aren't many Ax combos we have.

Another thing to try here is a check raise. This will really let you see where you are at. He probably calls you with nothing less than an ace or a draw.

The turn is one that is great for our range and less so for his range. Our hand picks up a str8 draw, a weak flush draw, and a str8 flush draw. I like a bet here, maybe 3/4 pot? A check raise is also an option. Size it about 25 BB or so.

Also, when we raise after the str8 and flush draws come in we have a ton of fold equity, which is good for us because we are definatley not in a value spot.

I cant see a fold here, and i think check/calling is too passive. I would opt for the check raise.

K

Krollspell

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all, good analysis.

3betting preflop would probaby have made the rest of the hand easier to play. In the moment, I decided against it because I felt it was unlikely I would get a fold and I didn't want to be OOP with second or third pair in a big pot. Opponent bet only 50% pot on the flop, so that was an easy call. But I see that not 3betting was the original mistake

As played, if we were to check-raise the turn with all the draws we picked up, and get called, and we miss on the river - what then? I suppose check-fold would be the standard play, because I can't really see what he could continue with that we could get him to fold

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds

I'd posted a question about the pot odds here, and then realised I made a mistake so deleted it. I'd thought the odds for the call were quite close, but neglected to count the straight outs :(

As it stands, with 17 outs - 9 flush, 6 straight (2 diamonds already counted) & 2 tens, Hero has about a 35% chance here of improving to a strong hand. The call is about 3 to 1, so 25%. Clearly a profitable call if I have the odds correct?

Therefore, I can't see a fold here being the right move after checking that turn and facing that size bet, surely it is either a) call because it is profitable to do so or b) check raise for some potential value if you hit and some fold equity as well? (Yes then we probably have a bit of a bummer on the river if we don't hit, as a check fold seems the best option if it comes to that.) And option b is surely only mathematically correct if we were get into implied odds?