My win rate is now 24.4/100 over 3,5k hands while playing one table at a time (whenever I try two it gets really bad quickly; tournaments do not influence anything since then I concentrate on cash game 95% of the time) so insignificant sample really, with some crazy and illogical stats too. But I am bleeding money with all the trapping crap going on. It is really eating into my self belief since it is philosophically opposite to what I consider natural ("attack when ahead" basically) and yet I am getting owned here
If I could fix it or find a cure I would feel a lot better about myself. It is one thing to suck and know it and get beaten by clearly better players, but another when I am being exploited by people who I think also suck but am clearly unable to prove it
The win rate is steadily falling (but total profits are going up) as I am trying to implement advice from here and elsewhere seems I was at my best when I had no idea what I was doing it is like that saying "Man with one watch knows what time it is, man with 2 watches is never sure". I do have faith in the process, all this is going to be useful if I move up stakes eventually and people start getting more aggressive, but I am not going anywhere any time soon.
youregoodmate - It is more natural for me to do bet, bet, check too. In any case the trappers would just check turn and nail me on the river so I don't see much difference except the loss of initiative, and checking turn also entices bluffs which I then probably couldn't call.
I am coming from a chess background and we value initiative by instinct so giving it up voluntarily is counter intuitive. It is a hard habit to break.
Anyway, you guys might find in interesting that I crunched some stats in HM2 and despite the small sample some things are becoming obvious:
1. When I raise preflop (323 hands out of 3.481), my win rate is 295 BB/100 (!!!)
- Completely unrealistic I know since all of you can see how badly I play postflop.
- Most of this is on the BTN but amazingly I am annihilating people from EP with 756.25 BB/100. Only reasonable explanation is mixture of luck and the fact I play more tightly from EP on average so I have better cards in hand. Also I get the 1st postflop bet in so it counts as initiative (many people fold, not many people reraise).
2. When I limp (mostly from SB, 275 hands out of 3.481), it drops to 78.2 BB/100, which is pretty damn great anyway since I suck so much postflop. Whatever I win is mostly card strength though.
3. When I am posting blinds (143 hands out of 3.481), it is -11.17 BB/100, not too bad.
Basically, I suck even more horribly than usual when I don't have the initiative.
Main problem is that I fold easily when I know I have nothing, but when I have something juicy and there is only one or two hands which beat me I tend to fire away like a total donk (with the idea that these players call a lot with bad hands, which is kind of true but often they are trapping me with their passivity). I need most of all to grow a brain when it comes to trapping, I am falling for it 75% of the time.
Especially I always seem to think that hands that called preflop raising are something logical and not 68 offsuit and such, so when 68 is the hand that beats me I think they don't have it since who would call 0.24 preflop with that? And then I fall into it and their preflop play gets validated. Insulting isn't it?