$2 NLHE Full Ring: River fold on poor odds

N

Nefertitie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Been reading around and wanted to start playing, this is within my first 200 hands of play (ever) so I'm not expecting to make good calls, a couple of them made me double take so I wanted to see what more experienced people think.

Hand 1:
888 No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed)

MP1 ($1.05)
MP2 ($1.29)
CO ($1.66)
Button ($1.82)
Hero (SB) ($1.62)
BB ($4.43)
UTG ($2.14)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K♥, A♥
1 fold, MP1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, CO calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero raises $0.05, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.20) 9♣, 5♥, Q♥ (3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.50) J♠ (3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO bets $0.37, Hero folds, 1 fold

Total pot: $0.50

Was I right to fold here or should it have been earlier?

Hand 2: (Sorry if I'm not supposed to do multiple, but didn't want to spam new threads)

888 No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - 888 Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP2 ($1.13)
MP3 ($1.92)
CO ($1.18)
Button ($0.73)
SB ($1.99)
Hero (BB) ($2.40)
UTG ($2.16)
UTG+1 ($4.46)
MP1 ($2.17)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8♦, 2♦
6 folds, Button calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.05) 8♣, 5♠, 5♣ (2 players)
Hero bets $0.05, Button calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.15) 9♠ (2 players)
Hero bets $0.11, Button calls $0.11

River: ($0.37) 10♦ (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $0.55 (All-In), Hero calls $0.55

Total pot: $1.47

Looking back I feel like this one was doomed from the start, but I didn't get that at the time, how do I stop this from happening again?

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hand1 why don't you have 100 bb at the start of the hand ?
raise much bigger preflop - .10 to .12 , you will be out of position the rest of the hand and want to thin the number of callers , if you steal the limps and move on to the next hand thats fine.raising that small ensure that you will be play a multiway hand out of position .

cbet the flop 2/3 pot , you've got roughly 50% equity without checking with your nut flush draw and two overcards.

as played with nut straight and flush draws and two overs , i'm probably calling at 2nl as MP1 has a fishy stack size and probably also calls with a bigger pot gives better pot when we hit .

hand 2 : pre fine , flop fine, turn you can bet smaller half pot will do the same thing and save you a small bit when he has a 9 , fold to the river shove as straights , trips and full houses are all possible and you only have a weak two pair

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1: On the turn you have 9 nut flush outs, 2 straight outs (T hearts is a flush) and a small chance A or K is a winner. Let's call it 2 outs. given there are about 50 cards multiplying your outs by 2 give you your odds of winning (9+2+2=13) call it 25%. You have to pay $0,37 to win $0.87 or 37% It is unlikely Villain pays off a flush so a fold is in order.

I would have raised bigger preflop. The first two limpers indicated they don't have big hands and with the blinds, there is already $0.09 in the pot after you call. AK does not play well against multiple hands so you want to fold out as many as you can. Even if they all fold winning $0.7 with ace high is not a bad result. I'd bet $0.12 preflop. As played I'd call the flop and fold the turn too.

Hand 2: A big blind special. I like the pot size flop bet. You are losing to over pairs and a 5 which are only a small part of the button's calling range. I like the double barrel on the turn in the face of the 3 flush board, but when you are called, you are likely dead. I won't call the turn. You need to call $0.55 to win $0.92 and functionally have a pair of 8s, which only bet a bluffs.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand1:
First off, bet more on the flop. 2.5BB is too small of a raise against 2 callers and a player on the big blind. Some theoretic amount is about 3BB + n*limpers (here it would be 2) making it round 0.10$.
On the flop, clear C-bet, amount should be round 60-70% of the flop.
Reason: you have 9 outs (hearts) to the nuts which you want to capitalize on. Also, you might get A9 to fold, as well as pocket pairs lower then 88.
As played, you got yourself into a tricky spot. If I was in the hand, would probably call the turn bet (good implied odds), hoping i do get that nuts, with which I would probably get max value (or nearly max).

Hand2:
I honestly would go for a check-call line in this spot trying to take it cheap, and unless another 8 comes, would never call an all in. You have an 8, no kicker, and you have no idea what villain can have. Him limping means, any 8 and any 5 are within his range, to all of which you lose.
Raising is probably also fine, but it is hard for villain to fold if he has 2 over cards, so after 9 and T came, it is possible he caught up and has you dominated.
As played, fold on the river, you pretty much beat bluffs only, and if villain was bluffing he would never just call flop and turn.

Last edited:
N

Nefertitie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips, I get scared of betting large pre-flop, whenever I do I tend to end up failing.
I think I just cling to the hand if I have put big bets on - which puts me off making these kinds of bets.
This is the soft of thing I am talking about...

MP1 ($2.23)
MP2 ($2.08)
MP3 ($2.25)
CO ($2)
Button ($5.27)
Hero (SB) ($1.90)
UTG ($2)
UTG+1 ($2.04)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K♦, A♦
1 fold, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 raises $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.09, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.42) A♣, 7♠, 4♠ (4 players)
Hero bets $0.31, MP1 raises $0.62, MP2 calls $0.62, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.31

Turn: ($2.28) A♥ (3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets $1.51 (All-In), MP2 calls $1.36 (All-In), Hero calls $1.18 (All-In)

River: ($6.18) 9♦ (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $6.18

I'm also not sure if I play enough hands, only seeing about 15% to the flop.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EZ 3bet squeeze ore with AKs
Flatting & donking flop make very little sense to me.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually like to just call with AK on the SB, there will be so many flops that you don't like, and there is no need to get into situations where you need to invest all of your stack just to be coin flipping for the money.
But on the flop, I am leaning towards a check, you are in the early position, you want the preflop aggressor to c-bet with air and try to take the pot, depending on the size of the c-bet you can opt to both call and raise :)

Since you are new to the game, I think less flops is better, you can invest the time when you folded, to observe others, their hands, moves etc.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Folding in Poker