$2 NLHE Full Ring: Raising this combo draw on the turn or just call?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do we want to raise the turn when we pickup the FD and SD? I expect villain to have a good hand, AA,KK,AK, possibly KQs. do we want to just call like I did here or make a raise?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Casey. There is no hand that I can see in your post.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg sorry, here it is

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.97 (99 bb)
UTG+1: $1.80 (90 bb)
MP: $2.33 (117 bb)
MP+1: $2.22 (111 bb)
CO: $0.75 (38 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.95 (148 bb)
SB: $0.78 (39 bb)
BB: $1.71 (86 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q T
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.06, 3 players fold, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) 7 6 K (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, BB folds

Turn: ($0.31) J (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

River: ($0.55) 4 (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $0.16, BU (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.55 (Rake: $0.02)
UTG+1 wins $0.53

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my take although I'm only relatively new to poker. Do you have any Hud stats on villian?

Dont mind the call pre flop, your getting 31% pot odds in position and arent doing to badly against a likely villain range for that price.

Flop - don't like the call here, why are you calling? either fold or consider raising and either barrell the turn with some favourable turns or give up.

Turn - you need 21% equity against top pair to make this call which you should be comfortably ahead of. Dont mind this call.

River - only thing left to do is fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I am not the biggest fan of cold calling, but I can be ok with this one, if the players in the blinds are passive (low 3-bet), AND you are ready to let go of one pair after the flop, AND you are ready to use aggression and position to win the pot, when you flop some sort of draw.

Flop
At higher limits this small bet would likely be an advanced player using the so called "down-betting" strategy. However at 2NL I think, it looks weak, so I am hammering on this with a raise. You have some backdoor draws, and if you can get even A high to fold, that is a great result.

Turn
As played I am also raising here, when you pick up a ton of equity. Just calling is not terrible though, because you now have a good chance to improve.

River
As played nothing to do other than just give up. You are not repping anything but a bluff, if you start raising now.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I play this hand like hero. For me pre flop QTs from the late position is good to flat call, because with hand QTs I want to hit some draws, especially flush draw, sometimes open ended straight draw and I try use button position. Sometimes we hit some top pair like queen on the flop and we can have some problems, because we haven't good kickers and we can lose some chips or money in cash games. As played - I think we can call opponent's small bet on the flop, because we have back door flush draw. On the turn we catch combo draw, I don't raise his small bet on the turn, because I don't want to build big pot. So the turn card I play like hero. Unfortunately river card is not help us, it happens and on the river I give up our hand. I think you play correctly this hand.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do we want to raise the turn when we pickup the FD and SD? I expect villain to have a good hand, AA,KK,AK, possibly KQs. do we want to just call like I did here or make a raise?

Very generic question, Casey55. Could you please give us more details about position, stack sizings and ranges? Because this will rely on many factors and cannot simply answered as a default out of the norm question. Thank you very much, good luck!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
I am not the biggest fan of cold calling, but I can be ok with this one, if the players in the blinds are passive (low 3-bet), AND you are ready to let go of one pair after the flop, AND you are ready to use aggression and position to win the pot, when you flop some sort of draw.

Flop
At higher limits this small bet would likely be an advanced player using the so called "down-betting" strategy. However at 2NL I think, it looks weak, so I am hammering on this with a raise. You have some backdoor draws, and if you can get even A high to fold, that is a great result.

Curious as to what you suggest for a raise size.

For OP, 3 betting will let you know where you stand + give you some more maneuverability post flop. Fold to 4 bet, and with calls if he folds 2/3 or the time to a 1/2 pot cbet, you can fire blindly and profit, and likely pick up outs even if he tags along.

You are right to think his range is tight and uncapped. If he has enough AQ, AJ, AT raising his flop will still be profitable.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Curious as to what you suggest for a raise size.

Just a completely normal size like 50-67% pot. Pot is 0,19 + 2 x 0,06 = 0,31. This mean a 50% raise is 0,16, and 67% is 0,21. So a nice raise size here is to make it 0,16-0,21 + 0,06 = 0,22-0,27. In real time I just use my bet slizer buttons rather than doing all this math manually.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Line: Check-raising OTT for bluff

omg sorry, here it is

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.97 (99 bb)
UTG+1: $1.80 (90 bb)
MP: $2.33 (117 bb)
MP+1: $2.22 (111 bb)
CO: $0.75 (38 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.95 (148 bb)
SB: $0.78 (39 bb)
BB: $1.71 (86 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q T
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.06, 3 players fold, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) 7 6 K (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, BB folds

Turn: ($0.31) J (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

River: ($0.55) 4 (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $0.16, BU (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.55 (Rake: $0.02)
UTG+1 wins $0.53

Hello there Casey55, awesome hand, thanks for posting and I think this is one of our best combos for bluff we should be raising OTT almost always.
When we do call OTF, we uncappe our range for 76, K7, K6, 77 and 66 and some straight draws (we never have KK, because UTG has all of them right now).
When it comes a Jack OTT, it completes a lot of UTG's ranges, but if we are realistic, the most dangerous combos are only AA, KK and JJ (combos that would never fold to a check-raise turn). Other combos such as KJ, AK, AJ, etc are going to have a pretty hard time on continuing paying, but hey, remember this is the micros.
The rest of UTG's range and it is a great part of it is going to have a lot of problem calling a check-raise OTT, because now we are still representing 76, K7, 77, 66 and those hands needs a lot of protection, that they didn't on the rainbow flop.
If we are not going to raise here for bluff, I rather fold, because for the times we are going to miss the river are massive and even when we hit our flush UTG can display a best one.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like call pre.

Fold on the flop. I might raise on flop in 2way pot.