$2 NLHE Full Ring: Question: Is raise the right play with AA on river

S

sargea

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand description:

I am playing 1/2c full ring, it folds to me in the Hijack AcAs I raise to 3x, it folds to BB he calls.

Flop comes JdJh4d, BB checks I check it back (note: I checked it back which I normally wouldn't do, so that I can have some strong hands in my check back range).

Turn comes 8d, BB bets 3/4 pot I call (note: I considered raising to make up for lost value, but I feel like I am folding out almost all worst hands, and getting called or raised by all better hands, and occasionally getting bluffed off my hand.)

River comes Js, BB bets 1/2 pot I call (note: again I consider raising but I feel like I fold out all worst hands again and get called by his quads which he does have several combos of Jx in his range.)

I feel like I didn't get enough value from this hand was it to tight of a call on river, should I have raised the turn, can I get called by an 8 there on the river if I raise? Let me know what you think.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Player Profile

Hand description:

I am playing 1/2c full ring, it folds to me in the Hijack AcAs I raise to 3x, it folds to BB he calls.

Flop comes JdJh4d, BB checks I check it back (note: I checked it back which I normally wouldn't do, so that I can have some strong hands in my check back range).

Turn comes 8d, BB bets 3/4 pot I call (note: I considered raising to make up for lost value, but I feel like I am folding out almost all worst hands, and getting called or raised by all better hands, and occasionally getting bluffed off my hand.)

River comes Js, BB bets 1/2 pot I call (note: again I consider raising but I feel like I fold out all worst hands again and get called by his quads which he does have several combos of Jx in his range.)

I feel like I didn't get enough value from this hand was it to tight of a call on river, should I have raised the turn, can I get called by an 8 there on the river if I raise? Let me know what you think.

Thanks for sharing.
Knowing your opponents playing tendencies is key here. How do we know that, we observe all the players at our table while they play. We then Label them TAG -LAG WEAK TIGHT -LOOSE PASSIVE etc.

Then we know if our opponent will call three streets of value. Call a turn raise with just an 8 or call a river raise with just an 8. Most weak players call with all their full houses so shove the river if you think the OPP would never bet 3/4 pot with a jack on the turn
What sizing would our opponent use with weaker vs stronger hands?

All of this is player dependent not equity dependent. We use both math and player psychology to make the most informed decisions.

:)

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah your hand becomes the nuts on the river. On a high paired board ip we can flop cbet range.

Don’t worry about quads. Unless the money means too much to you, in which case play a smaller game. A lot of players aren’t folding a fh on the river.

The turns an odd one. I don’t know there.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE Full Ring: Question: Is raise the right play with AA on river

Sorry didn’t realise this was NL2, obviously the money isn’t a problem. Missed out on a stack here bud.

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need to watch out for the enemy, and then everything will be fine.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in NL2 or NL5 with AA je bet * 9 preflop that it is a raise or not before me.like that you will be followed only by the hands KK QQ ect .. if you have good players at the table less if it is fish ca will be the hands of the type AK KQ ect ... in the long run thanks to this strategy you increase your chances of winning a lot on a single stroke and you reduce your chances of being called by garbage hands and taking bad beat for a few cents. It's by watching other players use this strategy on my table that I've decided to always use it.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My style is more aggressive. I would bet half pot on the JJ4 two tone flop for two reasons. First to deny Villain a free shot at a flush and second if the third flush card comes it will shut Villian down. Villain called OOP and pretty much any pair looks good here.

As played, I like the call on the turn when the 8 flush card hits. I agree there is no point in betting.

When the J comes on the river I shove to the raise. One can't be worried about random case Js. How many can he have AJ, KJ, QJs, JTs Hero has two of the aces, and there is only one jack, so its 2+4+1+1, 8Js in her range. What can she call with? 44+,A4s+, A8s, 89s, 87s plus a few of the flush draws (ATc, AQc, AKc, KQc, KJc) . 46+18+3+3+5=75 losers.

Easy shove.

Last edited:
M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we assume you were 2.00 effective, I would raise larger preflop, something to the tune of 5x. 1/3-1/2 pot size on the flop. I would probably check the turn, because this is probably only a two street hand. [You will not get value from worse hands on all three streets.] If he bets the river, I would raise him BIG.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
board is very dry. you are mostly have huge advantage on this board. i think you should shoove the river.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand description:

Nice self analysis in here, I do think at these stakes however you are over analysing. Most villains at 2NL aren’t going to be thinking about balanced ranges. Just strongly bet for value and with hands as strong as AA on their river here is definitely a value bet

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hand description:

You are getting pretty much value from AA, considering you opened from the Hijack and from this position we are not only raising premium, but a lot of things.
I like your check OTF although betting 1/3 pot could have the same effect. The check OTF is good because we can be doing it from time to time to avoid being bluffed/floated for the Big Blind too much.
IF we do bet OTF and get raised we are not going to love it, because the flop is ultra dry. By checking on a dry flop like this, many weak players are going to think we are giving up our hands, and bet for information, which is awesome.
Some players believe we must be c-betting 100% of times dry flops like this, which is a mistake, because we don't do anything at cash tables a 100% of times.
Weak players also love to level versus missed c-bet, so for a lot of reasons the check OTF is fine when we do own hands like JJ+, AJ, KJ, etc, and of course, 44.
But we don't check OTF 100% of times as well, we are going to mix between betting 1/3 pot and checking, turning the reading of our range almost impossible.

Many times are not extracting the maximum value with KK+ and AKs, to be candid, many times we are simply raising KK+ and AKs preflop and stealing the blinds and we must to learn how to live with it.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this well till the river. Flop check induced a turn bluff. But when the third jack falls you losing to exactly Jx. You have to raise the river. Sounds like you got "monster under the bed syndrome" and lost some value on the there. Stack depth would be good to know here to give us some idea of what you could have raised to.

Hand description: