$2 NLHE Full Ring: QJo, 3-bet bluff from CO versus tight reg.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.22 (111 bb)
UTG+1: $4.76 (238 bb)
MP: $2.57 (129 bb)
MP+1: $3.67 (184 bb)
LP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO (Hero): $3.53 (177 bb)
BU: $1.03 (52 bb)
SB: $1.95 (98 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Q J
2 players fold, MP raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.14, 3 players fold, MP calls $0.09

Flop: ($0.31) Q 5 A (2 players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.31) 3 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.12, MP calls $0.12

River: ($0.55) 4 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero checks

During the hand I didn't have too many thoughts on the flop I thought because he was tighter maybe he was likely to just flat call pre-flop with a good Ace which he would hit this board, so I decided not to c-bet flop, when he checked turn I bet small thinking he may call with worse and he would probably lead turn if he had an ace. What do you think should my turn bet be larger ? hould I have c-bet flop? I know we are supposed to bet small and frequently when we have the range advantage but I didn't know if I wanted to c-bet that flop small or even half pot and give villain a chance to raise me an amount I don't want to call and be forced to fold a hand that has some possible showdown equity, also when we don't c-bet flop we keep our range ahead of villains. On the turn When he checks in hindsight it seems I should have bet larger on the turn because 1/3 pot what is he really folding JJ,TT,99? maybe I should have gone slightly over half pot on turn? what would you guys prefer for sizings here, thanks for all feedback

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop this 3-bet is a little to fancy for me. I am all about adding bluffs to your 3-bet range, but you want to pick the right situation, the right opponent and the right hand, and in this situation you have none of that.

You say, he is tight, and he is opening with 6 people left to act after him, which mean, his range is even tighter. This is not the situation, where you want to 3-bet light. You want to attack wide ranges, because if people have a tight range, they are not going to fold to your 3-bet.

In top of that your hand is just really bad. I would much rather pick anything with an ace in it or anything suited and connected. QJo is just garbage and should be an easy fold, when a tight reg has already entered the pot from EP or MP.

With that out of the way I guess, postflop is fine. When he check the turn, I dont think, you need to turn second pair into a bluff, and at the same time there is not a lot of value to be had here. You got one small bet in, and that is just about, what this hand is good for.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for your thoughts, I guess its pretty borderline KJo would probably be better, I have been using Pre-flop charts from Pokercoaching.com and some of the broad-way off-suit hands are marked to be good to 3-bet bluff because they take away likely cards from your opponents range, seems logical what your saying about attacking wider ranges not tight one, I figure I can get away with these bets sometimes because the regs arnt the best and if they play as straight-forward as this guy did post flop I can out play them sometimes. I would rather save my suited connector hands to call because they can play well post flop and use the broadway Off-suit hands to 3-bet bluff . Does this seem ok ?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With QJo I would not make a 3 bet in the pre-flop and less a tigh player who made a raise in mp but since you did it with that flop for me the cbet should be done to see what his reaction is and see if I can take the pot, under the circumstances as you played the pre-flop and the flop I think the rest of the hand was fine but I repeat it was a bad decision to make the 3 bet and then not to do the cbet