$2 NLHE Full Ring: QJdd tough river spot.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 53/4/3

villains stats are over 70 hands

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.46 (123 bb)
UTG+1: $1.98 (99 bb)
MP: $2.14 (107 bb)
MP+1: $2.02 (101 bb)
LP: $2.98 (149 bb)
CO: $3.74 (187 bb)
BU: $1.57 (79 bb)
SB (Hero): $1.78 (89 bb)
BB: $2.07 (104 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q J
UTG calls $0.02, 3 players fold, LP raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.20, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.18, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.48) 5 5 Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.14, UTG calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.76) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

River: ($1.36) A (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $1.82 (all-in), Hero....?

What do you think about this hand ? I thought villain would have alot of middle PP the way he kept calling and sometimes a Q I thought the only 5 he would have here is a hand like A5, do we call the river or muck? what do you think his range is throughout the hand?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hero fold. villain had A in their range for sure, and I think your size bet is small ( don't represent hands like AQ, QQ, QK, because is more commun and profitable a bigger bet in this spot) for example you 3bet $0.20 preflop and cbet $0.14, this bet don't show much value and other hands can take advanted in later streets

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I would just fold. SB is the worst seat on the table, and you dont have a premium hand. 3-betting QJs OOP is a little to fancy for 2NL. People are going to call way more, than you like, and then you are OOP with a mediocre hand in a bloated pot. I am not very exited about that.

Flop
You managed to hit a pair, but its important to remember, that your pair is not exactly the nuts. He is a fish, so he can absolutely have a 5 in his hand, and since he is so passive preflop, he can also have AQ or KQ. Maybe even KK or AA from time to time. So you have a marginal made hand, and for that reason I prefer to check and hope, that he check back. At least your bet was small, which I like.

Turn
Still kind of the same story, and again I am happy, that you at least bet on the small side. You need to keep his range wide for this bet to be for value, and even though fish notoriously dont fold, you dont have to completely overplay your hand.

River
Not a great card obviously. I am not so worried, that it helped him, because did he really call twice with just A high? Maybe AX of hearts exactly, but other than that probably not. It will however be scary to hands like QT and 99-JJ, so totally onboard with checking here. And when he bomb the river I think, you need to give him credit and fold.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone in 70 hands plays 50% of those then I think that we can't put him on a range.
From what I see on tables such people can limp any ace or any 2 suited or connected cards.
Also sometimes they have a monster like AA, KK, QQ, AK, and all crazy stuffs.

About your villain here I believe it's better to take notice of his behavior on other hands that you have seen him playing rather than put him on a range. For what moves is he capable of.
He calls a 3bet after he limps. Does he do that often? I guess so. Is he a calling station? Probably.
Does he show aggression at any point? Is he bluffing? Many of them over bluffing.

Unfortunately our hand is not strong enough to make a call here. And if villain makes such moves often, which I bet he does xD we will have a better opportunity with a better hand.

He can have literally anything, any 5, any A, 77, any Q and he's taking advantage of your check on the river (they over bluffing).

Preflop, although I like your 3bet if you were playing only against the LP opener, here I prefer just a call or fold because of the utg limper.
As played your line is fine. Fold the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone in 70 hands plays 50% of those then I think that we can't put him on a range.
From what I see on tables such people can limp any ace or any 2 suited or connected cards.
Also sometimes they have a monster like AA, KK, QQ, AK, and all crazy stuffs.

About your villain here I believe it's better to take notice of his behavior on other hands that you have seen him playing rather than put him on a range. For what moves is he capable of.
He calls a 3bet after he limps. Does he do that often? I guess so. Is he a calling station? Probably.
Does he show aggression at any point? Is he bluffing? Many of them over bluffing.

Unfortunately our hand is not strong enough to make a call here. And if villain makes such moves often, which I bet he does xD we will have a better opportunity with a better hand.

He can have literally anything, any 5, any A, 77, any Q and he's taking advantage of your check on the river (they over bluffing).

Preflop, although I like your 3bet if you were playing only against the LP opener, here I prefer just a call or fold because of the utg limper.
As played your line is fine. Fold the river.

Lots of good points, but I am not sure, I agree, that fish tend to overbluff in spots like this. He is risking his entire stack on the river, and in my opinion and experience this tend to mean, he has value. That value could be a boat, it could be trips, it could be AQ, it could be rivered AX. It does not matter, which it is, because we beat none of it.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good points, but I am not sure, I agree, that fish tend to overbluff in spots like this. He is risking his entire stack on the river, and in my opinion and experience this tend to mean, he has value. That value could be a boat, it could be trips, it could be AQ, it could be rivered AX. It does not matter, which it is, because we beat none of it.

Hi there,

Yes I agree, even if I 've seen him doing this all the time I fold here.
But really some fish bluff like this too much, they are fearless. I observed that more than often when I was playing multitabling all day long at 2nl some years ago. Such a weird tendency, I guess they feel the adrenaline rush xD.
Here our hero shows weakness and fish' bet is a shove. Is he trying to cover his strong hand under this suspicious shove? Did he prove that he can think that way? is he just playing like this because he doesn't know otherwise? Maybe.
Certainly I fold but I'm suspicious and I wait for the right moment.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain shoved the river, but since Hero had less than a pot sized bet left, this was the only move other than checking back, that made sense. So I dont think, you can read anything into his bet size. Pot was 1,36$, and it was 1,14$ for Hero to call. In Villains spot I would also just go all in, because its easier than typing 1,14$ in the box.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that hand Qjs to 3bet pre flop from the small blind isn't too good, because we play out of position and is a little to weak. I always call pre flop from the small blind broadway suited connectors especially to caught some draws. When I hit one pair on the flop I play passively. In this situation with top pair I want to cheaply go to the show down, because for me jack kicker is a little too weak. If opponent bets the flop, bet the turn and on the river came up ace, bad card for me I usually fold. Sometimes If opponent play small bet on the river I call. As you played, I would play bigger bets on the flop and on the turn, at least 50% of the pot.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain shoved the river, but since Hero had less than a pot sized bet left, this was the only move other than checking back, that made sense. So I dont think, you can read anything into his bet size. Pot was 1,36$, and it was 1,14$ for Hero to call. In Villains spot I would also just go all in, because its easier than typing 1,14$ in the box.

oups xD, Hmm yeah you 're right.