• Start date
T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 32/8/2.8

Hey all. I'll start with the hand, then ask my questions. I was advised in another thread that my primary focus right now needs to be post flop, so I bought PostFlop Vol. 1&2 and I'm studying it now. I'm on the C-Bet section and doing hand reviews using the book. Note, I'm also studying Poker Workbook for Math Geeks to cover that area of learning. The stats mentioned for villain are over 389 hands. Here's the hand:

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players

UTG: $3.19 (160 bb)
UTG+1: $2.15 (108 bb)
MP (Hero): $4.51 (226 bb)
MP+1: $2.27 (114 bb)
CO: $1.55 (78 bb)
BU: $0.81 (41 bb)
SB: $0.80 (40 bb)
BB: $2.12 (106 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with K K
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, MP+1 calls $0.06, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.06, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.21) 4 4 T (3 players)
Hero bets $0.12, MP+1 raises to $0.56, BU folds, Hero calls $0.44

Turn: ($1.33) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP+1 bets $1.27, Hero raises to $3.89 (all-in), MP+1 calls $0.38 (all-in)

Okay, now for the questions:

1. A paired board is considered wet, correct?
  2. For my main question, I'm wondering if the C-bet was correct here. Based on the book, there are factors for not C-betting. I'm multi-way, out of position, with a wet flop (based on question 1). That's 3 reasons to consider not c-betting, but I still "feel" it was the right thing. I'm assuming I'm wrong, so I thought I'd ask.

I realize the turn check-raise is probably bad, maybe even really bad, but I haven't got to that part of the book yet. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

Thanks all, these have been really helpful so far!

Last edited:
TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't consider this board wet. fours are not cards that are usually played by people, so it is fairly unlikely you are dealing with trips, unless it is A4. There is no draw action, it is offsuit, and the highest card is a ten.

As for c-betting, it's an okay spot to do so, probably nobody caught much there. The only hands that hit that flop are 44 and combos with a ten.

When he raises you on thee flop, calling is fine.

On the turn, the guy clearly has something. When he bets he leaves himself only 19 BB behind. At this point a raise is useless, its going in no matter what. I could see a call here, but raising is fine only because he is certainly going to gii next street.

Your check raise on the turn has no fold equity at all imo, you are probably deadling with A4, maybe aces that flat-called preflop to trap, maybe some TT combos, and overpairs. It is pretty clear by the turn that you are probably beat. He really isn't ever bluffing, he has made his hand on the flop and is now trying to gii.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) It is considered a dry board. There are not many combinations that hit this board.

2) CBet on the flop with KK is correct on this board. Also the call is correct on the flop raise of the villain as he can have a weaker over-pair or a AT that he bets for value or the villain could also try to bluff you out of the pot as it is unlikely that you hit this dry board.

I would not lead out on the turn though as that is looks very strong and normally only gets called or even raised by better hands. I would check and call off a turn bet probably. On the river I would check again and fold to a river bet.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Due to there being no draws on the flop, I would decide whether they had me beat right there. If I think they flopped huge, (A4, 1010,) I would make the tough fold right there. Depending on what type of player they are, I could see them raising with JJ or maybe even k10 or 99. If you think they would raise with those types of hands I would reraise. Simply put if you think you are behind and drawing to 2 outs, fold. If you think they would raise that large light, I would reraise and not mind getting it in.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
check and call off a turn bet probably. On the river I would check again and fold to a river bet.[/QUOTE]

I can't see check calling the turn only to check fold for $.38 on the river.

I think this hand is played fine. If you call that turn, you might as well shove. I think there are enough AT, 99, JJ, 88 in villains range to make this play.

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again. He had AA and, not that he needed it, but he hit the 3rd A on the river.