$2 NLHE Full Ring: I got my flush draw, but was I overaggressive on turn?

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[Note: Please excuse the post title... not worded correctly]

I feel like I really messed this hand up and would like suggestions on how to play this hand better.

pokerstars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

UTG+1: 101.5 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 12)
MP: 100.5 BB (VPIP: 21.43, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 29)
Hero (CO): 94 BB
BTN: 98 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
SB: 190 BB (VPIP: 41.94, PFR: 12.90, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 31)
BB: 27.5 BB (VPIP: 11.76, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
UTG: 113 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 14.81, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 27)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9h Ah
UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 3 BB, UTG calls 3 BB

Flop : (12.5 BB, 3 players) 5h Th 4s
BB bets 2 BB, UTG calls 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Turn : (18.5 BB, 3 players) 3h
BB bets 4 BB, UTG raises to 10 BB, Hero raises to 33 BB, fold, fold

Hero wins 41 BB

Some thoughts:
  • I have no issue with how I played pre-flop
  • On the flop, I could have raised, but I chose not to raise as I liked seeing the next street for relatively cheap and keeping more players in could help if i hit the flush
  • On the turn.... my thought process was this: I basically ignored the BB opening bet, as it was insignificant to the rest of the pot, but the UTG raise was basically for 1/2 pot and indicated some strength. Maybe he hit a flush or straight... so I decided to re-raise him. on the surface, it was a 3bet with a flush draw... but I kind of treated it as a single bet... but the fact is, it was a 3bet, so I am basically screaming to the table "I have a monster hand"
  • In hindsight, I probably should have simply called (or maybe a smaller raise), give the BB odds to call if he hit anything on the turn and then I shove on the river (no matter what card is dealt, even if it pairs the board) since I have the nut flush
What are your thoughts? I am kind of frustrated at myself for playing the hand too aggressively on the turn and really wished I simply called.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you had called you probably would not have obtained much value on the river, so it was not an exaggerated movement.
It was 3 times the increase in utg, I think it's a decent size.
If any of the villains formed his ladder, he would have reached the river, so don't worry.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you played the hand fine. Personally I prefer to raise the flop, when I see action like this ahead of me from, what is likely two bad players with a very wide range. That donk bet from BB look very weak, and when UTG just call, he also dont have a great hand. So why not put some pressure on both of them and try to take it down now? If we get action, we have a ton of equity, and we set it up for bigger bets, when we improve. But ok you just called the silly bet, and its definitely not a mistake, more like a different way to play the hand.

On the turn its also pretty close between calling and raising. You might have a point, that you looked even stronger, because it was technically a 3-bet, even though BBs bet was a silly meaningless size. But even without that bet its still tough to get action, when you play passive on the flop and then suddenly start raising on the turn, when the third flush card come. You are sort of screaming from the mountain top, that you have a flush, and probably even a good flush.

I am also not sure, how much more action you get here, even if you just call. UTG is also kind of saying, he has a flush, but I seriously dont think, he would fold a flush to your reraise. So more likely he was just trying to represent the flush, because both his opponents looked so weak. And even if you just call, it still look pretty strong, so he might just give up and check-fold the river.

Last edited:
Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have raised the flop and then you could shove turn depanding on the action before you. He would not have made a 10bb bet on turn since the pot would have been 50 if you raised to 10 on flop.

U

Unkinhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was going to say that I actually don't like raising the flop here given the multiway action, but seeing that it was only a ~2BB bet (and seemingly passive bad players)...Yeah you should have raised. Other than that this line is fine (and is fine as is)

Full Flush Poker