$2 NLHE Full Ring: Flop top pair with flush draw, villain covers me...

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/4q8PmVX

ziggy28 (UTG): $4.18 (209 bb)
pBenzo87 (UTG+1): $4.56 (228 bb)
Bfailla82 (MP): $1.59 (80 bb)
6sense (MP+1): $2.08 (104 bb)
Sabrejmpr1 (LP): $3.35 (168 bb)
sportsguy16 (CO): $0.60 (30 bb)
ReadilyDeadly (BU): $2.00 (100 bb)
Roderik (SB): $0.80 (40 bb)
Shredderrrr (BB): $1.73 (87 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (sportsguy16) is CO with K♣ T♠
2 players fold, Bfailla82 (MP) calls $0.02, 2 players fold, sportsguy16 (CO) raises to $0.06, ReadilyDeadly (BU) calls $0.06, 2 players fold, Bfailla82 (MP) calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.21) 9♠ J♠ K♥ (3 players)
Bfailla82 (MP) bets $0.21, sportsguy16 (CO) raises to $0.42, ReadilyDeadly (BU) raises to $1.94 (all-in), Bfailla82 (MP) calls $1.32 (all-in), sportsguy16 (CO) calls $0.12 (all-in)

Turn: ($3.81) 5♥ (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: ($3.81) 4♥ (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $3.81 (Rake: $0.19)

Showdown:
ReadilyDeadly (BU) shows Q♣ T♣ (a straight, Nine to King)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 14%, Flop: 85%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

sportsguy16 (CO) shows K♣ T♠ (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 20%, Flop: 10%, Turn: 2%, River: 0%)

Bfailla82 (MP) shows K♦ Q♥ (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 66%, Flop: 5%, Turn: 2%, River: 0%)

ReadilyDeadly (BU) wins $3.62

Should I have called or folded?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you should have folded preflop. I love isolating limpers, but KTo is a bit iffy to be honest. You also want to raise a little bit larger against a limp. 3BB is getting called like 100% of the time, and often someone else will join the party as well, and this is NOT, what you want. 4BB is the absolute minimum, and I typically use 4.5BB. I would not hate an even larger size either especially at 2NL, where everyone and their mother wants to see the flop.

As played I would just get out on the flop. I know, it sucks, you flopped top pair and a gutshot. But the limper is donk betting the size of the pot into two players, so he is representing a hand stronger than yours, and you still have the other guy left to act behind you. If it was heads up, ok whatever, I probably just go with the hand. But 3-ways your equity drop, and this is part of the reason, why you need to isolate bigger and at least try to get it heads up.

If you are going to continue on the flop, with your stack size just go all in. You cant really call and then fold later, and mini-raising leaving a fifth of your stack behind is just weird. As played you have to put in the last 12c. Unfortunately someone already had a made straight, but against anything else you were priced in to try and hit your gutshot.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise more to ISO pre-flop. You're just giving people behind you too good of odds not to call. As played, just shove the flop with your stack size.

But ISOing with 30bbs isn't a good strategy. If you're buying in short, you should be in push or fold mode, or just buy in for full stack.

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more to ISO pre-flop. You're just giving people behind you too good of odds not to call. As played, just shove the flop with your stack size.

But ISOing with 30bbs isn't a good strategy. If you're buying in short, you should be in push or fold mode, or just buy in for full stack.

thanks for the advice!

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, you should have folded preflop. I love isolating limpers, but KTo is a bit iffy to be honest. You also want to raise a little bit larger against a limp. 3BB is getting called like 100% of the time, and often someone else will join the party as well, and this is NOT, what you want. 4BB is the absolute minimum, and I typically use 4.5BB. I would not hate an even larger size either especially at 2NL, where everyone and their mother wants to see the flop.

As played I would just get out on the flop. I know, it sucks, you flopped top pair and a gutshot. But the limper is donk betting the size of the pot into two players, so he is representing a hand stronger than yours, and you still have the other guy left to act behind you. If it was heads up, ok whatever, I probably just go with the hand. But 3-ways your equity drop, and this is part of the reason, why you need to isolate bigger and at least try to get it heads up.

If you are going to continue on the flop, with your stack size just go all in. You cant really call and then fold later, and mini-raising leaving a fifth of your stack behind is just weird. As played you have to put in the last 12c. Unfortunately someone already had a made straight, but against anything else you were priced in to try and hit your gutshot.

Would you raise 4BB pre-flop in general or only against limpers?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I personally prefer to play cash games with a full 100BB stack. But that being said short stack strategy is well known from tournaments. And jamming all in preflop over a limp is something, you might want to do with 15BB, but not with 30BB.

Sure the limper will usually fold, unless he is really bad or was setting a limp-trap. But you still end up with huge egg all over your face, when some nit behind wake up with pocket kings and call your all-in ;)

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only against limpers. You are fighting for a bigger pot (2.5BB rather than 1.5BB), and therefore you need to go bigger to give people bad pot odds to call you.

ok thanks

D

Dimitris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1)Limp behind. Fold to any decent raise.
2)At the flop shove any TPGK or very strong draw.
3)Don't play short stack poker
Better play sng or tournaments

Full Flush Poker