$2 NLHE Full Ring: Defending BB with Q9 offsuit, against 2.5x raise from cutoff

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Or roughly the cutoff, not exactly certain which position he was in.
I start the hand with about .90 and Qs9c, he has me covered
I call .05, the flop comes 9s7s2d.
I raise .06 into .11, he re-raises to .29.
I call, then check, he raises me all in.
I call, he has jacks. What did i do wrong here?

He had previously folded in a spot like this after 2 barrels, i probably should have known he was playing good cards because he seemed tight. To re-raise me was a big move for him.

Last edited:
TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are we playing less than 100 BB? Always play with at least 100 unless you are intentionally doing shortstack strategy.

Let me know if this... translation... is wrong.

Co raises to 2.5 BB
Hero calls in BB with Qs 9c

Flop: 9s 7s 2d

Hero bets 3BB
Villain raises to 14.5BB
Hero calls.

Turn: idk?

Hero checks
Villain puts hero all in
Hero calls.

Don't know what the turn is so i cant say, but if it was lower than a 9 no way im not getting my stack in with <50 bigs

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
prefloo- ok, it's 2.5x but still it's a offsuited hand and as you play micro stakes I reccomend you to defend from QTo. So preflop it's a fold.

flop- as played no reason to donkbet. What is an idea to do it? just play check/call and let him to bluff. If you donkbet here you get call or raise from a better range. As he raises you I think it's just a fold. You messed up a hand. Most of the time he raises you with a better hand, that's why donkbetting here is a bad idea. You don't want to get a raise with that hand.
turn- as played turn is definitely a fold. sets beats you, overpairs, better 9x like K9, A9, two pairs maybe (we don't know what turn is). So many better combinations beats you. You expect him to go allin with worse hand? almost never happens. Of course he could have some draws, but still they probalby have decent equity vs you ,and as you block his some flushdraws, straight draws with your Qs then he has semi bluffs there very rarely

and ye. Like TenJack said. Play with 100bbs.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the other 2 posters mentioned, top off your stack.

Playing short, I'm folding Q9o pre, even to the smallish open. Your just going to bleed off your stack to an even more unplayable stack size playing those cards. I don't like the donk bet here either. That said, once you hit top pair, with that stack, you can't get away from the hand. Your stack is going in.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you nailed it by saying you thought he was playing a little tight. You could have just folded preflop here as well. That would have been just fine. So... You call, I think the flop bet is fine but when he raises to .29 cents I think this should be a fold. The only time I would say its not a fold is if you really know the player and that he is likely to be bluffing here. After you call the flop reraise you have just about committed to the pot.

Good Luck!