$2 NLHE Full Ring: AThh, Turn brings NFD + Gutshot, bet or check?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.95 (98 bb)
UTG+1: $2.19 (110 bb)
MP: $2.38 (119 bb)
MP+1: $2.05 (103 bb)
LP: $2.45 (123 bb)
CO: $3.11 (156 bb)
BU: $4.90 (245 bb)
SB: $2.46 (123 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.48 (124 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A T
UTG calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP+1 raises to $0.10, 3 players fold, SB calls $0.09, Hero calls $0.08, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.34) 5 7 K (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP+1 bets $0.18, SB calls $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.88) J (3 players)
SB checks, Hero.....?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Guess its fine to call here, since our hand is suited. Otherwise I would lean towards folding.

Flop
This is a fairly clear fold to me. SB has already called the C-bet, and to overcall you need a way stronger hand than this. You only have some backdoor draws and an overcard, and even if you hit an ace on the turn, you still have no idea, where you are. MP+1 could easily have you outkicked, and both players could have a set or two pair.

Turn
You picked up both backdoor draws, so I guess, this is now a check-call spot. But it depends, how much he bet, and what SB then does. Donk betting would be really bad. Jh is not a scary card to them, so whatever they liked on the flop, they will still like now. I guess, you could check-raise, but you need opponents, who can actually fold a hand like AK or KQ to that line, and there are very few of these at 2NL. Its only 2$ to stack off, and most players are beginners, so this is not the game, where you want to try and get people to fold top pair on a very safe board.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Guess its fine to call here, since our hand is suited. Otherwise I would lean towards folding.

Flop
This is a fairly clear fold to me. SB has already called the C-bet, and to overcall you need a way stronger hand than this. You only have some backdoor draws and an overcard, and even if you hit an ace on the turn, you still have no idea, where you are. MP+1 could easily have you outkicked, and both players could have a set or two pair.

Turn
You picked up both backdoor draws, so I guess, this is now a check-call spot. But it depends, how much he bet, and what SB then does. Donk betting would be really bad. Jh is not a scary card to them, so whatever they liked on the flop, they will still like now. I guess, you could check-raise, but you need opponents, who can actually fold a hand like AK or KQ to that line, and there are very few of these at 2NL. Its only 2$ to stack off, and most players are beginners, so this is not the game, where you want to try and get people to fold top pair on a very safe board.

Thank you !

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about a 3-bet pre? probably best to just call?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to just call. A 3-bet need to very large, so its risking a bit to much against someone, who should have a fairly strong range, when he isolate two limpers with 5 players left to act behind him. Also ATs play decent in a multiway pot, so its not terrible, if the limpers come along with their whatever.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a flush draw + a gutshot. That's 12 outs. We must discount Qd, because It can give the opponent a flush. That makes 11 outs. The probability of our improvement is 24%. To be a profit, we must make a bet of no more than $0.28, which is less than 1/3 of the pot. This bet can be considered as a bluff and make a re-raise, and then we will not pot odds to call. If we play a check / call it will be much cheaper for us to get nuts

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Preflop call it's fine.
No 3bet against that position opener. Better 3bet 54s here than A10s :p.

At the flop I can't understand your call. Especially since two players have shown interest.
My mind stops here. Are you tilting? xD

On turn you have a great draw.
Check call. You can donk lead too I guess, but better check since there are 2 opponents and you might see a free card instead of the risk of get reraised.

And if you hit on river?
If you lead turn and someone raises big, you have to fold probably.
If you lead turn and get called and hit, bet river.
If you check and call turn with right odds (else fold) and hit, it would be nice to risk and go for check raise on river.

The main thing that you need to be aware here though is that your flop call makes no sense.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
3-handed pot out of position?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.95 (98 bb)
UTG+1: $2.19 (110 bb)
MP: $2.38 (119 bb)
MP+1: $2.05 (103 bb)
LP: $2.45 (123 bb)
CO: $3.11 (156 bb)
BU: $4.90 (245 bb)
SB: $2.46 (123 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.48 (124 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A T
UTG calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP+1 raises to $0.10, 3 players fold, SB calls $0.09, Hero calls $0.08, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.34) 5 7 K (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP+1 bets $0.18, SB calls $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.88) J (3 players)
SB checks, Hero.....?

Hey Casey55, thank you for sharing your hand. This is a very hard preflop scenario, where two players limped out of position and MP decides to raise to 5x. When the player in the MP decides to do such a thing, you gotta have information of who you are playing with before making any decision making.
Players at Full Ring are usually very Tight, mostly passive Tights capable of limping pocket pairs and suited broadways out of position. When MP raises these very limpers it has a very strong range, and, although we have the removal because we are holding AhTh, this hand will not be playing very well here for a lot of factors:

A) When you call from the BB you don't know if either UTG or UTG+1 are going to re-raise and if they do, we are in a shitty spot, because we will have good odds for entering a huge 3-bet/Squeezed pot with, 4-handed, with a hand that has removal and decent playability postflop.

B) When we call 5x coming from MP vs 2 limpers from UTG, and SB calls, by the same token our odds are fantastic, they are shitty: Both MP and SB are going to have capped ranges in a situation like this and it would be very hard to play ATs out of position in a 3-handed pot.

C) In a situation like this we must know if MP is too much Tight (NIT) or not, because if MP is too much Tight or even a Regular Tight Aggressive player, who uses to c-bet a lot of flops and turns in position, your options here are reduced to either Squeeze your ATs preflop and try to get MP to fold, so you would have position over the SB, or simply FOLD. Without information of whom am I playing with it is a fold when it comes a 5x versus limpers from MP, because MP would be dominating my range most of times with AJ, AQ, AK, and 88+, at minimum.
I would only play a little bit safer when I flop two pair with AT, but even so it connects with both SB's and MP's range. If we make a trips we could be behind of SB's and MP's range (some players calls strong aces from SB trying to 'trap').
With ATs we are either praying for a straight or a flush and it will not happen. (very often)

D) Many scenarios we will flop KT, KJ, KQ, with at least one hearts in the flop and we will be utterly forced to pay at least one street of value, no matter price. If we hit an ace in the flop we must pay or check-raise the flop because there is a great chance of our Ace with Kicker Ten to be far away behind.
Many scenarios we will get one hearts and a runner-straight and we are going to be paying, raising in a scenario where we could be dead with our draw. When it completes another hearts in the turn, because we are deep stacked we are almost commited.

If this is a heads-up pot, I could call from time to time versus MP, kwowing that MP is opening too wide from MP, but even so, I would elect to 3-bet/Squeeze in a higher frequency than calling.
A solid postflop strategy becomes with a solid preflop strategy: do not simply call because "I do have ATs and this is too strong for folding". Consider everything that is going on aside before making any decision.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited: