BB: 100 BB
UTG: 100 BB
UTG+1: 107.5 BB
MP: 64 BB
MP+1: 100 BB
CO: 100 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K A

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, UTG raises to 23 BB, Hero raises to 37 BB, UTG raises to 51 BB, Hero calls 14 BB

Flop: (103 BB, 2 players) 8 J T
Hero bets 51.5 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 49 BB and is all-in

Turn: (201 BB, 2 players) 5

River: (201 BB, 2 players) 9

Hero shows K A (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 65%, Flop 65%, Turn 61%)
UTG shows 9 2 (One Pair, Nines)
(Pre 35%, Flop 35%, Turn 39%)
UTG wins 191 BB

Any thoughts welcome on either the villian's line or my own.
I think this probably falls into the line of emotional tilt, or that there is something about this particular type of player that, really, rustles my jimmies.

apologies in advance for the error on the title. its more 5Bet or 6Bet. :)

Last edited:
Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 114 BB
Hero (SB): 102.5 BB

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, UTG raises to 23 BB, Hero raises to 37 BB, UTG raises to 51 BB, Hero calls 14 BB

UTG wins 191 BB

I think this probably falls into the line of emotional tilt, or that there is something about this particular type of player that, really, rustles my jimmies.

After the 4bet you should be getting rid I would say and if you are coming over the top it should be with a jam. This should only be when you have a good read that the villain is 4bet bluffing massively because UTG 4bets are usually going to be ,KK+,AKs.
I prefer to throw away here though because most of time we are in a really bad position

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can appreciate aggression in general...However, knowing restraint can be key.

I think I would have called the villains 4-bet instead of 5-betting. I am assuming you were going for value, but when you get to a 4-bet, one would have to think that we're dealing with top premium hands here. His 4-bet would seem to indicate KK,AA maybe QQ, All of which you are way behind on.

From playing with the villian, though, you must have known he was a maniac. So, I can see you 5-betting, in that scenario, but, at that point an All-in is really the only option. anything else would simply make the villian pot committed to call anything anyway, so you would have no fold equity.

The bet on the flop, has zero fold equity - because it's simply a pot sized bet.

That being said... maniacs are gonna maniac... nothing can be done about that.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think I would have called the villains 4-bet instead of 5-betting. I am assuming you were going for value, but when you get to a 4-bet, one would have to think that we're dealing with top premium hands here. His 4-bet would seem to indicate KK,AA maybe QQ, All of which you are way behind on.

From playing with the villian, though, you must have known he was a maniac. So, I can see you 5-betting, in that scenario, but, at that point an All-in is really the only option. anything else would simply make the villian pot committed to call anything anyway, so you would have no fold equity.

The bet on the flop, has zero fold equity - because it's simply a pot sized bet.

That’s why getting it in is a problem, the best you’re hoping for is QQ, any hand the range and you are crushed. It’s better just to release the hand and find a better spot. Coming over the top on a min 5bet achieves nothing at all.
If it is a maniac visibly then what are we hoping for when we do anything other than fold?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all said above. 5! jam.

I assume you have a read on this villain- that he is a loose donkey. If not, then you have to reconsider your line.

Against a usual UTG open `11% of hands you have to think even about your 3bet vs V's continuing range. OOP you may also want to call there as you are closing the action and will be OOP, plus you are decently ahead of V's opening range UTG.

AKs is a def 3! for value, AKo can go either way. Once you decide to 3! you should have a plan facing a 4bet, and if this player is loose you should be 5! jamming on him with a hand that does very well against a wide 4! range.

As for the hand as played, he 6! your 5!, anything other than shoving doesn't make sense.

Let's look at the math.

"UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, UTG raises to 23 BB, Hero raises to 37 BB, UTG raises to 51 BB, Hero calls 14 BB"

At the time of the 6! the pot has 88.5 bb and you have 63bb remaining.

A shove here needs 63 / (63 + 88.5) = 41.5%. But we know that V is never folding, so his stack will be in paly too.

Our equation then is 63 / (63 + 88.5 + 49) = 31 %.

If V is calling our shove with AK, QQ+, we have 38% equity and therefore a 7! allin is +EV.

This move is preferable than shoving on any flop because we are allowing villain to pick good flops to continue on. The flop you shoved on was pretty wet, and as we saw, V actually had decent equity to continue.

Take-aways: 1)UTG is usually very tight and we should respect their range, especially their 4! range.
2) 5! all-in is typical with a 100bb stack vs a 4bet
3) With fish that want to gamble, get the money in early as they will rarely fold (even if they do, we realize our equity with a non-made hand)

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 5bet not all in here is just silly. Giving your opponent a good price and leaving yourself with an SPR of 1 in cash games especially at the micros is just burning money. Get it in and accept the variance that comes with it.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the 4bet you should be getting rid I would say and if you are coming over the top it should be with a jam. This should only be when you have a good read that the villain is 4bet bluffing massively because UTG 4bets are usually going to be ,KK+,AKs.
I prefer to throw away here though because most of time we are in a really bad position

UTG wins 191 BB

That’s why getting it in is a problem, the best you’re hoping for is QQ, any hand the range and you are crushed. It’s better just to release the hand and find a better spot. Coming over the top on a min 5bet achieves nothing at all.
If it is a maniac visibly then what are we hoping for when we do anything other than fold?

I agree with all said above. 5! jam.

I assume you have a read on this villain- that he is a loose donkey. If not, then you have to reconsider your line.

Against a usual UTG open `11% of hands you have to think even about your 3bet vs V's continuing range. OOP you may also want to call there as you are closing the action and will be OOP, plus you are decently ahead of V's opening range UTG.

AKs is a def 3! for value, AKo can go either way. Once you decide to 3! you should have a plan facing a 4bet, and if this player is loose you should be 5! jamming on him with a hand that does very well against a wide 4! range.

As for the hand as played, he 6! your 5!, anything other than shoving doesn't make sense.

Let's look at the math.

"UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, UTG raises to 23 BB, Hero raises to 37 BB, UTG raises to 51 BB, Hero calls 14 BB"

At the time of the 6! the pot has 88.5 bb and you have 63bb remaining.

A shove here needs 63 / (63 + 88.5) = 41.5%. But we know that V is never folding, so his stack will be in paly too.

Our equation then is 63 / (63 + 88.5 + 49) = 31 %.

If V is calling our shove with AK, QQ+, we have 38% equity and therefore a 7! allin is +EV.

This move is preferable than shoving on any flop because we are allowing villain to pick good flops to continue on. The flop you shoved on was pretty wet, and as we saw, V actually had decent equity to continue.

Take-aways: 1)UTG is usually very tight and we should respect their range, especially their 4! range.
2) 5! all-in is typical with a 100bb stack vs a 4bet
3) With fish that want to gamble, get the money in early as they will rarely fold (even if they do, we realize our equity with a non-made hand)

Im in total agreement with all that has been said above.
It’s an emotional tilt that led me to call and not shove, but putting myself in a spot that requires shoving AK into ep range was also a little tilt (or flaw in my reasoning at least).

Thank you to all that commented.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

UTG wins 191 BB

Considering that Villain/UTG had 4-bet you to 2.5 times the size of your 3-bet, I would go all-in instead of 5-betting. If it was the case and we both (Hero and Villain) are more than 150 blinds deep, we could think about a 5-bet but at this situation it doesn't make any difference if we do put all the money in preflop, because no matter what it comes on the flop, we were already totally commited.

When we do 5-bet to 37 blinds, we are nearly putting 40% of our stack to the table, and this is kindda non-sense, since if we investe already 30% of our stack we should go all-in. Do we have any plans of folding in the case Villain pushes over our 5-bet or if Villain Cold Calls 5-bet to see a flop? No, ever since we have no intention of folding anymore we should be going all-in preflop.

The other reason is because we are blocking AK, AA and KK, so we don't need to much rope to put ourselves in.