$2 NLHE Full Ring: $2 NLHE Full Ring: Floped Top 2 Pair on Wettish Board

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 36/14/3

Hello, I'm new here, and pretty new to poker. I've been studying hard and I feel like I know enough to at least start trying to do hand reviews. Below is a hand I did where I feel like I made a pretty big mistake and I'm wondering if I'm at least getting it right in the review.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players

UTG: $4.69 (235 bb)
UTG+1: $2.16 (108 bb)
MP: $2.38 (119 bb)
MP+1: $2.92 (146 bb)
LP (Hero): $6.87 (344 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.09 (105 bb)
SB: $0.80 (40 bb)
BB: $0.80 (40 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is LP with J A
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.06, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.15) 5 J A (2 players)
Hero bets $0.07, BTN calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.29) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.22, Hero raises to $0.58, BTN raises to $1.96 (all-in), Hero calls $1.38

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is fine.

On the flop, i would make a bigger bet. maybe 3/4 pot. Chase away draws.

The turn is not a good one for you. I really don't mind a check raise, but i prefer a bet here. You don't want villain to check behind and give a hand like TQ or JK a free pass to draw out on you.

You get the check raise in. He jams over top of it. Not good. When he jams, you are pretty much beat every time. Top and second pair on this board vs. a villain jamming over a c-raise is probably either TK , AQ, or 55. (Probably not AA, JJ, or QQ, he would have 3 bet those preflop.) I think this is a fold.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, welcome to Cardschat! Have a good time learning poker from everybody here!

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
complicated the shove, asked to flush, and he can have AQ, if he pays you he ta Nuts, cracks or AQs, I would check, fold .. if you take the call will be in a difficult situation

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a penny game and, as such, generally plays larger. With a decent starting hand one should raise a little more pre-flop.

I would not describe this flop as "wettish." In fact it is pretty dry. No flush draw, and only inside straight draws. The question is, "What is your plan for the hand?" 2 pair is generally a winning hand I'd be thinking about building the pot. Villain can have lots of worse aces and not that many better aces (She'd most likely raise AA, KK, and AK preflop.) I'd think I want to building the pot hoping to get worse aces to put money in. I'd bet more preflop 2/3s pot (of a larger pre-flop bet).

As played, I don't understand the check on the turn. The Q wasn't a great card for Villain and doesn't help Hero. Checking allows Villain to check back and see a 1 to 5 draw for free. Was hero trying to induce a bluff? Hero likely has the best hand, so I'd advise betting. In a penny game one should expect lots of loose calls. Time to target those bad aces.

As played, I'm not so sure about the shove. Hero is unlikely to be called by worse, because the check raise looks so strong. Likely better to call, risking the draw (She did pay for it by her bet).

I'd check call pretty much any river card.

Welcome to CardsChat.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What did villian have?

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, this is awesome stuff. So I did my hand review and I found one of the errors most of you mentioned...the c-bet size. The rest of the issues you've found, I didn't, so that's very helpful.

My first error though was...I didn't even see the straight draw until immediately after I clicked the call button. My thought process was "Oh he couldn't have a KT oh he does have a KT (suited-clubs)."

I figure a 3/4 c-bet may have pushed that out on the flop. As for the rest of your suggestions, looks like I've got more studying to do. :)

Thanks you all very much.