$2 NLHE: AK river shove

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need thoughts on this hand. Firstly, can we call the flop re-raise with A high? and should we have checked back the river? Honestly I think river shove was kind of spew on my side but then again probably villains didnt have much either.

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.82 (141 bb)
BU: $3.07 (154 bb)
SB: $4.01 (201 bb)
BB: $2.40 (120 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, 2 players fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) 9 3 7 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.09, CO raises to $0.27, BB calls $0.27, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($1) 7 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($1) 7 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.67 (all-in), 2 players fold

Total pot: $1 (Rake: $0.05)
UTG (Hero) wins $0.95

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need thoughts on this hand. Firstly, can we call the flop re-raise with A high? and should we have checked back the river? Honestly I think river shove was kind of spew on my side but then again probably villains didnt have much either.

Dont C-Bet that board vs 2 villians. You dont have a clear range-advantage on this type of board. Play flop cautious, thus x/c and x/r (protect youre checking range by checkraising value like AA f.e.)

And Tbh if CO decides to Bet and BB calls i could find a Fold right there without any Backdoors. Les say you hit a A(d) what do you do? Just sets you up for ugly spots.

As played fold to rr+call on the flop, You got pretty lucky on the runout, even if they had TP or a set on the Flop the 7 on the river makes you Top-boat (atleast thats what you are representing AA) you cant get a call by anything else than a 7. That being said it is NL2, and i wouldnt trust people to being able to fold a 9 here, or even pocket 3s beacuse they got tilted from the runout. There is even people that will snap you off with duces here.

And we have better bluffs in our range like any suited diamond that we open UTG. I dont dislike the shove on the river just the hand we are doing it with. Think about this way, do you bluff AQo like that aswell here? And then AJo? KQo? suddenly you end up tripple-barreling any board OOP with youre entire range, wich is, lets say, suboptimal

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
check/fold the flop it's 3 way and the board connects with both villains calling ranges pretty well and your equity is poor with bare overs and your diamond A K outs are dirty. The raise has been called infront of you as well so it's now gone from a super easy fold to a no brainer fold.And on the river you somehow got to your showdown and have ok showdown value so take it the whole hand from flop to river is needless overplay and will cost you dearly in the long term.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just check that flop you git nothing. And that river is not kind of a spew is just 100% spew

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally multi-way you should be more value-heavy, bluffing only with a strong bluffs and betting narrower range for value as well.

Reasonable bluffs here would've been your flush draws, JTs, and maybe overs with a backdoor flush draw + Ax with Ad.

Naked AK is just way too weak, so you should just check/fold it against any reasonable bet, hoping that it checks through and you got A or K on the turn.

As played, calling the flop is just awful - you're basically drawing to a bluff-catcher and are setting yourself up to get stacked versus sets of you got your pair.

River shove is even a bigger spew, any 9x will just call your all-in simply because people don't fold full-houses almost ever at NL2. Also they both could have TT-JJ, which makes it even worse.
Instead this is a great spot to shove for value with QQ+ for those same reasons.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You C-bet too often. What are you trying to do here with A high? Bluff? Value bet?

You are allowed to check even if you raise pre-flop.

Barry Greenstein used to have an almost 100% c-betting strategy because it was easy to balance. But on lower stakes just check if you don't hit or have good draw.

If you see that yhey can fold most of their range on the turn or river you can start to bluff more. But AK is not ´the best hand to do so with. It can be best at showdown and can hit an A or K for free (HU you can sometimes even check call one street). Betting AK for value can sometimes be correct in HU but not often in 6-max and full ring (and certainly not multi-way).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As many have said already, C-betting is not mandatory in this spot. I guess, its not terrible either, but when you induce a raise and a cold call of that raise, you have to dump your hand faster than an ugly date on prom night. You got very lucky here, that they were both on some kind of draw, because that is pretty much the only hands, they check back on the turn and fold on the river. Which also mean, that you were almost certainly bluffing on the river with the best hand. No fish at 2NL has ever folded a full house on the river.