$2 NLHE 6-max: when turn looks a little scary!

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All players play deep stacks
Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB)Hero has K♣Q

Mp raises to 3 BB, Hero 3-bet 9BB , BTU calls 9 BB, fold, fold, MP calls 6BB

Flop:(28.5 BB, 3 players) K 4♠ 8
MP checks, Hero bets 12 BB, BTU calls 12BB, MP folds.

Turn:(52.5 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BTU checks

River:(16 BB, 2 players) A
Hero checks, BTU checks

BTU has AdJc, BTU wins

So here is my thoughts:
I plan to use KQo as a 3-bet bluff, but it turns out two players call. I put them in range including middle pairs, overcard and some suit connectors. Then flop comes K84, since AK and KK will most likely 4-bet, I assume I have the best hand except 88 and 44. Looking back at the hand I think I should bet bigger, like 3/4 pot, both for value and protection.
When BTU calls I think he can have big over card like AJ+ and decent flush draws, A8,8s9s and middle pairs are also possible. Then the turn completes a flush, I am not sure whether I should bet or check since flush actually is rare and some decent flush will raise the flop.
When we go check-check the river is another horrible card, so I go check again.

My question: Should I bet bigger at the flop? If so, would a flush draw raise, would AJ+ fold? And should I bet the turn with a seemingly dangerous card?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The flop sizing is debatable and I think there is more to the sizing then just this hand. I mean that what was your sizing on previous hands? Were you c betting a lot or not that often? I know this is $2 NL but some people do pay attention. Personally I would be betting slightly larger than you did but that is because in when I play cash I will normally c bet in the 50-60% range of the pot so I would not deviate too much from that. Thats only my opinion on that because I do think flush draws are going no where anyway so I cant really bet them off at this point (especially if they have Ax of spades and have an over to the board).

I like your check on the turn and the check on the river. I think you played this hand well and played it exactly how I would have played it myself (take that for whats it worth since I suck) other than as I mentioned I would have bet a little more on the flop. If I was in your shoes I would be very happy to have the villain check behind on the river knowing that I could have lost more on this hand. All in all, well played

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop sizing is debatable and I think there is more to the sizing then just this hand. I mean that what was your sizing on previous hands? Were you c betting a lot or not that often? I know this is $2 NL but some people do pay attention. Personally I would be betting slightly larger than you did but that is because in when I play cash I will normally c bet in the 50-60% range of the pot so I would not deviate too much from that. Thats only my opinion on that because I do think flush draws are going no where anyway so I cant really bet them off at this point (especially if they have Ax of spades and have an over to the board).

I like your check on the turn and the check on the river. I think you played this hand well and played it exactly how I would have played it myself (take that for whats it worth since I suck) other than as I mentioned I would have bet a little more on the flop. If I was in your shoes I would be very happy to have the villain check behind on the river knowing that I could have lost more on this hand. All in all, well played

Thank for your advice, this is actually cash&rush so no one will know my hand history. :D But what size are you choosing? 3/4 pot or even more?

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my point of view you played it optimal. I'm not sure if I would re-raise preflop, but it's 6-handed game so why not. Good bet on flop. I would have checked on turn too, because my hands is just one pair with medium kicker and there is already flush possibility on board. Ok you gave him a free card, but he didn't have a lot of outs and were just lucky. I think it's more important not to build a very big pot with such a hand than trying to make them pay, because he either already has a made hand which will beat your or he is drawing very slim.

The only argument why checking on turn without position is wrong is IMHO actually not the possibility of giving him a free card but the possibility of inducing a bluff. He should have done that actually. He had a losing hand, only 3 outs to improve, there was a scare card on turn and you showed weakness. He should have bluffed. But he missed that opportunity.

So this is an argument to make a bet on turn but it should be small, only to stop a bluff. With the actual outcome on the table your check was correct.

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understand your plan but I feel the preflop 3-bet with KQo is a little too aggro. It is a mediocre hand vs an early raise. What are the tendencies of the MP player?

Flop, I would have bet around 2/3. A flush draw would probably call but an unsuited Ace with no solid connection to the board might fold (I think *should* fold) to a bigger bet.

Turn & river, well played. The checks are good, I don’t think there is any real reason to bet this turn and river given previous action. Maybe smallish bluff on turn, but this is 2NL, a random Ace might get sticky. That’s one reason villain’s tendencies are of interest.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
All players play deep stacks
Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB)Hero has K♣Q

Mp raises to 3 BB, Hero 3-bet 9BB , BTU calls 9 BB, fold, fold, MP calls 6BB

Flop:(28.5 BB, 3 players) K 4♠ 8
MP checks, Hero bets 12 BB, BTU calls 12BB, MP folds.

Turn:(52.5 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BTU checks

River:(16 BB, 2 players) A
Hero checks, BTU checks

BTU has AdJc, BTU wins

So here is my thoughts:
I plan to use KQo as a 3-bet bluff, but it turns out two players call. I put them in range including middle pairs, overcard and some suit connectors. Then flop comes K84, since AK and KK will most likely 4-bet, I assume I have the best hand except 88 and 44. Looking back at the hand I think I should bet bigger, like 3/4 pot, both for value and protection.
When BTU calls I think he can have big over card like AJ+ and decent flush draws, A8,8s9s and middle pairs are also possible. Then the turn completes a flush, I am not sure whether I should bet or check since flush actually is rare and some decent flush will raise the flop.
When we go check-check the river is another horrible card, so I go check again.

My question: Should I bet bigger at the flop? If so, would a flush draw raise, would AJ+ fold? And should I bet the turn with a seemingly dangerous card?

Utilize KQ in position to 3-bet isn't a bluff, is a hand with a lot of potential postflop.
I think your c-bet OTF was fine. We can do it with AK, KQ, KJ for example. We can do it with KK, AA, and sometimes even QQ and JJ. Plus we are c-betting our flush draws, so it seems very fine.
The rest of the hand is default, we cannot be fancy right now because it completed a flush and Villain can have best hands on its calling range, so it is what it is, luckily for us BTU doesn't elect to do some crazy hugeless sizings to let us in doubt.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank for your advice, this is actually cash&rush so no one will know my hand history. :D But what size are you choosing? 3/4 pot or even more?

I personally would be going at 60% but I would be on board with anything from slightly over half pot all the way up to3/4th pot. I see no reason to go over 3/4th since if they are calling or raising that then they would be doing the same with pot size as well. I think sweet spot is probably right at 2/3rds.