$2 NLHE 6-max: value river bet facing raise from preflop aggressor who checked flop and turn

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: value river bet facing raise from preflop aggressor who checked flop and turn

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.55 (128 bb)
MP: $2.25 (113 bb)
CO: $1.19 (60 bb) - [VPIP:18, PFR:11, 3bet:2.5, AF1.8]
BU: $1.10 (55 bb)
SB: $1.06 (53 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.01 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 7 A
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.11) 4 A 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.11) T (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.11) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.07, CO raises to $0.23, Hero ?

1. Do you think villain could have bluff at this spot?
2. I think 1 street bet-fold line is the best here as I can get value from KK-JJ,JTs,QTs,KTs, what do you think?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly like checking flop, i think that we can sometimes bet turn depending on how tight V's CO range is (as well as to charge his club and straight draws).

River is certainly a bet, i like to fold here after he raises. I don't think he ever has a clubs bluff, he would have probably bet either flop or turn with it, (and if he is passive and doesn't do that, he isn't going to bluff a river anyways). We loose to a lot of Ax 2 pair combos and i really don't think he is going to take this line with something like A5.

His line is really weird, you would expect a c-bet a lot from him IP when checked to. I feel like he might have floped a set of Ts or 7s and isn't quite sure what to do.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with TJ here most of the way. I like checking flop (as is standard), but I'm usually betting turn.

As played, definitely on board with the river bet and also folding to the raise for similar reasons as TJ. We won't see missed clubs often because those will almost always cbet flop or delayed cbet turn - almost no one is waiting til the river for that. Similar for gutshots, and I highly doubt this opponent is turning something with showdown value like JJ-KK into a bluff.

I think the most likely things we run into here are the flopped gigantic monsters that might slow play like top two and sets (in particular AA since that's most likely to slowplay), and specifically a hand that drastically improved on river - again like a set.

I would not be shocked if villain's whole range is 88, AA, and 99 in that order. I think a hand like 98s is also possible, but we may not always see it raise I guess.