BTN raises to 2.5BB, Hero calls 2BB, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop:(7.5BB, 3 players) A 9♠ K
Hero bet 3BB, BB folds, BTN calls 3BB

Turn:(13.5 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero checks, BTN calls 4BB, Hero calls 4BB

River:(21.5 BB, 2 players) T
Hero bets 10BB, BTN calls 10BB

BB shows Ad4h Hero wins

As you can see, I hit two pairs in both hands and I fell both have been played awkwardly. Any suggestions?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 I think is played just fine except no reason to min raise from the SB. I think you should either be raising larger or just limp in (prefer raising bigger of the two choices but min raising would be y last choice). Other than you bet half pot each street and I don't think you did anything wrong there.

Hand 2 is fine pre flop with the call. I dont like leading on the flop as the board may not have hit a button raiser raising a wide range and I think we get more value by letting them do the betting and then calling or check raising. As played with the lead on the flop, I dont like the check on the turn unless you are planning to check raise. However, I think many times when you check there villain will check behind so I think a normal lead there is best. As played I think your bet on the river could be bigger as since villain called the flop, bet themself on the turn they probably have something but would not be too afraid of 2 pair. Would look to get max value there and try for a 2/3rds pot bet. Splitting hairs a bit there but those couple extra BB in that bet start to add up over time.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
BTN: 100 BBHero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 100 BB
UTG: 100 BB
CO: 100 BB

Hand 1
Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB)Hero has TJ

Hero raises to 2 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop:(4 BB, 2 players) J T♠ 2
Hero bet 2BB, BB calls 2BB

Turn:(8 BB, 2 players) K
Hero bets 4 BB, BB calls 4BB

River:(16 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero bets 8BB, BB calls 8BB

BB shows KhJh BB wins

Hand 2 Hero is SB
Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB)Hero has K♦ 9
BTN raises to 2.5BB, Hero calls 2BB, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop:(7.5BB, 3 players) A 9♠ K
Hero bet 3BB, BB folds, BTN calls 3BB

Turn:(13.5 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero checks, BTN calls 4BB, Hero calls 4BB

River:(21.5 BB, 2 players) T
Hero bets 10BB, BTN calls 10BB

BB shows Ad4h Hero wins

As you can see, I hit two pairs in both hands and I fell both have been played awkwardly. Any suggestions?

I don't like raising so small when I am only SB x BB: I utilize the same sizing I use for opening from the EP, so when I am stealing from the SB versus BB, I am raising 3x.
We want to polarize our range a little hery e, because if we go for 2.5x or 2x, players are going to overcall and we are going to lose much more than we should (we forget that we are on SB/Wide Stealing Range)

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 pair can be a very tricky hand to play, particularly if it's not top 2 pair. Always pay attention to whether your hand becomes counterfeited, and whether cards come that are in your opponent's range that could give him a better 2 pair.

P

pandapower99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 Raise to 3bb preflop. Apart from that the hand is fine. You block K10 and KJ, no reason to think villain has either. More likely a flush or straight draw or possibly underpair. When he calls turn, he can have a K. If he raises river, Im folding but otherwise pretty standard.

Hand 2 3bet or fold from SB. Calling from the SB is bad at these stakes for a number of reasons. Firstly its better to take the hand down pre-flop and pay less rake( which is usually high at these stakes) Secondly you allow the BB to get in at a great price and now your OOP against 2 players with a marginal hand. If you are going to call anything in the SB it should be at least a pocket pair, that way you can set-mine cheap and if you hit your probably gonna win and if you dont hit you can easily get away from it. Added to that K9s is a fold in the SB in all instances for me, its too marginal to play OOP against 2 players.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand. Ok, you play well. I prefer check-call OTR.

Second hand. What a mess :D. Fold pre...Without "special" info. Don't play like that. 3bet or fold is the standard options...I just will go for check-call. Bet OTT as probe bet, if he checks back.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands