$2 NLHE 6-max: Shove TPTK against 2 Shortstackers!

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,
I decided to shove here because I think folding TPTK against 2 shortstackers on a 3Beted pot
is not correct.
What is your thoughts about this spot?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb)
MP: $1.43 (72 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.49 (125 bb)
BU: $1.62 (81 bb)
SB: $1.19 (60 bb)
BB: $2.30 (115 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K A
1 fold, MP raises to $0.05, Hero 3-bets to $0.14, BTN calls $0.14, 2 players fold, MP calls $0.09

Flop: ($0.45) K Q 7 (3 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.29, BTN raises to $0.78, MP raises to $1.29 (all-in), Hero raises to $1.80, BTN calls $0.70 (all-in)

Turn: ($4.70) Q (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($4.70) 9 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $4.70 (Rake: $0.16)

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows K A (two pair, Kings and Queens)

MP shows 7 7 (a full house, Sevens full of Queens)

BU shows Q Q (four of a kind, Queens)

BU wins $4.54

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For an all-in call situation, if you want to get better at poker, then you need to just be posting a range for both players here. This is a pretty straight forward hand. What ranges will you have for 2 not-full stacked (not short though) players in a 3-bet pot on this board texture? Then work from there.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think villains are short stacked here for one. Also, different villains play their short(ish) stacks differently, so how you play your hand is villain specific. I can definitely see folding TPTK multiway at many tables.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This one should be an easy fold after flop reraise. Either one of your villians would have two pairs (KQ) or better.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After the button raise and then the MP player check/shove on the flop, one pair will not normally be good here.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Don't show the results in your first post. It drastically skews the replies.

2. I agree with John - when you start thinking about spots like this, figure out what ranges are likely to be involved and then go from there. Also think about your own range in this spot and what better and worse hands you have here. I don't tend to put QQ in most players ranges here since I expect them to often gii pre at these stack depths. 6 combinations of KQ and 3 combinations of 77 have us in very poor shape. There are a lot of draws available, but the first raiser is way more likely to have the draws than the cold caller I suspect. But the cold caller also won't necessarily have tons of KQ or 77, which makes this spot a bit weird. I expect a lot of chops with the BTN actually.

3. For me, objectively we shouldn't be folding because of the possibility of KJ overplays, AK chops, and draws available like JT and flush draws (from MP). We don't block any diamonds - if we hold the Ad so that the nut flush draw isn't available, I'd lean toward folding.

Subjectively and experientially, I kind of feel like we'll be behind fairly often when up against 2 players, but at this stack depth it's just really tough to find enough reasons to fold imo. I think I go broke here too most of the time.