$2 NLHE 6-max: Should I be trying to get more value out of this hand?

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking back is maybe too weak since I'm right at the top of my range here on the flop but I think I need to protect some of the weaker Ax hands and pocket pairs in my hand and check back almost all my value hands here since the ace hits his range very well and my range is capped from flatting pre-flop. I would probably only bet AQo here for value and my 2 club hands like KQs,QJs (maybe KQo with Kc as well having the backdoor draws) as a semi-bluff and check everything else.

I could maybe check-raise a moderate amount for value after he bets the turn hoping that he has a good enough hand to call, but that didn't really feel right.

I think my sizing on the river is fine as well, he probably doesn't ever have AK or AQ here and I don't think he's calling anything bigger with worse than that tbh.

So was there any way to get more value out of this hand? Feels like I played it okay but also like it was kind of a meager result still.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Champi14 (UTG): $4.31 (216 bb)
sharandr (MP): $1.98 (99 bb)
goggo40 (CO): $2.02 (101 bb)
JackOscar95 (BU): $2.92 (146 bb)
XAVISF75 (SB): $3.07 (154 bb)
CooperGT (BB): $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is BTN with J A
Champi14 (UTG) raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, JackOscar95 (BU) calls $0.06, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.15) 5 4 A (2 players)
Champi14 (UTG) checks, JackOscar95 (BU) checks

Turn: ($0.15) 5 (2 players)
Champi14 (UTG) bets $0.09, JackOscar95 (BU) calls $0.09

River: ($0.33) J (2 players)
Champi14 (UTG) checks, JackOscar95 (BU) bets $0.33, Champi14 (UTG) calls $0.33

Total pot: $0.99 (Rake: $0.06)

Showdown:
JackOscar95 (BU) shows J A (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 86%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

Champi14 (UTG) shows Q Q (two pair, Queens and Fives)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 14%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

JackOscar95 (BU) wins $0.93

Last edited:
J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking back is maybe too weak since I'm right at the top of my range here on the flop but I think I need to protect some of the weaker Ax hands and pocket pairs in my hand and check back almost all my value hands here since the ace hits his range very well and my range is capped from flatting pre-flop. I would probably only bet AQo here for value and my 2 club hands like KQs,QJs (maybe KQo with Kc as well having the backdoor draws) as a semi-bluff and check everything else.

I could maybe check-raise a moderate amount for value after he bets the turn hoping that he has a good enough hand to call, but that didn't really feel right.

I think my sizing on the river is fine as well, he probably doesn't ever have AK or AQ here and I don't think he's calling anything bigger with worse than that tbh.

So was there any way to get more value out of this hand? Feels like I played it okay but also like it was kind of a meager result still.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Champi14 (UTG): $4.31 (216 bb)
sharandr (MP): $1.98 (99 bb)
goggo40 (CO): $2.02 (101 bb)
JackOscar95 (BU): $2.92 (146 bb)
XAVISF75 (SB): $3.07 (154 bb)
CooperGT (BB): $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is BTN with J A
Champi14 (UTG) raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, JackOscar95 (BU) calls $0.06, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.15) 5 4 A (2 players)
Champi14 (UTG) checks, JackOscar95 (BU) checks

Turn: ($0.15) 5 (2 players)
Champi14 (UTG) bets $0.09, JackOscar95 (BU) calls $0.09

River: ($0.33) J (2 players)
Champi14 (UTG) checks, JackOscar95 (BU) bets $0.33, Champi14 (UTG) calls $0.33

Total pot: $0.99 (Rake: $0.06)

Showdown:
JackOscar95 (BU) shows J A (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 86%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

Champi14 (UTG) shows Q Q (two pair, Queens and Fives)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 14%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

JackOscar95 (BU) wins $0.93

Hey Jack, I'm by no means an expert I'm still learning the ropes myself I suppose.

I was reading your hand and thinking you could have maybe bet maybe one third pot into the flop. With an UTG open you're probably going to get a call there.

On the turn it becomes interesting as this is where you see villains range develop. 5x and 4x hands aren't really going to be found in an UTG open so it's looking more and more likely it's a two pair hand.
I would have called here also.

River is a great card and you clearly made a good bet sizing to get paid off.
Only hands that beat you here are [AA] - no way, there would have been a bet on the flop, especially at NL2.
[AK] - same as above.
[KK] - again, I'm thinking there would have been some attempt from villain to take down three streets of value with this holding. I find players over play these hands at NL2.

Looks to me as though it wasn't a bad hand. Could have extracted more value with a flop bet perhaps though. And again I'm still learning so I'm sure someone better could come along and offer a better and more in depth analysis than me haha.
Nice hand.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this line and I think we will not be able to raise more money in this spot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
AJo is a bit tricky against an UTG open even at 6-max, but in general I think, its fine to call on BTN and play a pot in position. Against certain opponent I would prefer to either fold or 3-bet though.

Flop
He check to you, and while your hand might only be good for 2 streets of value in general, my plan here would typically be to bet flop, bet turn and then maybe check back most rivers. There are some draws on this board, and he will pay to chase them now, but he will not pay you on the river with a busted draw. Also if the draws complete, it will kill action, even if he does not have them, or you might get bluffed out of the pot. How much fun will it be to call a big turn bet on 5c4dAc - 3c for instance?

Turn
If you raise now, you are kind of saying, you have a 5 in your hand, so you would almost be overrepresenting your hand. As played just calling is 100% the right thing to do.

River
You improved to a better two pair, you now beat a passively played AK/AQ, and all the draws missed. To be honest I love your sizing here. As played you did a great job of making your hand look like a busted draw, and perhaps this is the reason, he called you down. Against his specific holding, and on this specific runout, you won the maximum, but this is mostly, because you got a very lucky runout. In the long run betting the flop will generate more value in my opinion.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think even this bet is big, this pot size bet. Your target are KK, QQ. This two pairs actually are "nothing". Think about his bluf catchers...Before the bet. If you think deeply about this hand, this river actually is not so good for your hand. K is bad, Q is bad, also a club is bad (you have more FE with big bet).
Check back OTF is good. You have only two streets value (most likely). He maybe have hands for check raise OTF. OTR very often he will have an underpair.

AJo is a borderline call. Even at BTN (vs UTG). Can be fold, can be 3bet. With info...Then you are on MP , you must think more often for fold or 3bet. Then you play vs 3x. Then you play against 2.5x, this hand play better with 3bet. Imo, I do that...Can be a call on BB. Vs UTG 2.5x...

AQo is profitable call, ATo is losing money. You can see, this hand is pretty good (postflop) and you made some money, only because this player wants to catch a bluff. Maybe missed FD. What if you had A3s? Just the same thing. Because this is UTG 3x....

AJo is a good hand, but kinda tricky to play. Be carefull...KQo is very similar to AJo, little weaker...But better than ATo...

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands