$2 NLHE 6-max: Should i fold the push in the river?

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a few note off the guy calling louse the 3bets,so i 3bets him wider(KJo).With a 2 pair K in AdKQd board im in front off his suited diamonds conectos,his pocket pair and some Kx suiteds(he calls me a 3bet with K9h in other hans and beats me with doubles). so i deside to Cbet,when doubles the A in turn is less probable that he has an A now,so i make a 2 barrel to make his flushdraws fold. in the river complete the flush and i have 2 option,a blockig bet(but the pot is so big allready that even iff i bet 25% i cant fold to the push anymore),or X/Call blufees or X/fold,wath do you guys would have do?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224tfgo3a

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because you got unlucky doesn't mean you played the hand wrong. The Ace on the turn is a bad card for you, but given villain's hand, it's also a terrible card for him. And yet he called the turn and sucked out on the river.

Button/blind dynamics can make for some crazy/weird hands, and this was one.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because you got unlucky doesn't mean you played the hand wrong. The Ace on the turn is a bad card for you, but given villain's hand, it's also a terrible card for him. And yet he called the turn and sucked out on the river.

Button/blind dynamics can make for some crazy/weird hands, and this was one.

This is correct.

On the river, the flush draw gets in and they try to extract the max. You have just a bluff catcher. I say it's a fold.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think on the river your hand beat nothing. Ax likely not folding even if you jam given pot size, would check fold in this spot.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Small Blind...

I have a few note off the guy calling louse the 3bets,so i 3bets him wider(KJo).With a 2 pair K in AdKQd board im in front off his suited diamonds conectos,his pocket pair and some Kx suiteds(he calls me a 3bet with K9h in other hans and beats me with doubles). so i deside to Cbet,when doubles the A in turn is less probable that he has an A now,so i make a 2 barrel to make his flushdraws fold. in the river complete the flush and i have 2 option,a blockig bet(but the pot is so big allready that even iff i bet 25% i cant fold to the push anymore),or X/Call blufees or X/fold,wath do you guys would have do?

Hello there freddydr87 what's up? Thank you for sharing your hands with the CardsChat community!
Let me get straight to the point: before asking what you should have do in the river, you should ask what have you done preflop, flop and turn.
I think your 3bet preflop is okay, because you said your adversary was spewy. The 3bet preflop is important because it will affect our decisions postflop. We should not play a 3bet pot the way we play a single raised pot.
Button calls the 3bet and now we have 21 blinds in the pot and we make a 10.5 blinds C-bet pot, which is very large size for a 3bet pot. Although you are very aware that are many Turns that are going to kill your actions.
You are aware that Villain would never fold its flush draws and gutshots, no matter price, so for a lot of reasons, I would check this flop.
Remember that you are playing against a player that cannot be bluffed, so we should let it bluff us, instead of putting money in the pot.
In the Turn the ace isn't good for your range. You may argue that because you have the K and the J we are blocking most of Ax combinations of villain, but even so, Villain would have a lot of aces in a spot like that and we have none.
Again, in the turn you make a very big bet, when you could be already behind of a lot of hands. Knowing that these guys love to play any ace and to continue postflop with a lot of junk.
I wouldn't bet the turn either, because I only have Top Pair in a very complicated and coordinated board.
In the river I don't see many hands that we are ahead, so, if I didn't invest very much, against a player who loves to bluff and put chips in the middle, I would have an easy fold.
However, the line played preflop, flop and turn made us commited to the pot and it was very hard to fold river here, given that Villain seems some aggro donkey.
But even when we are commited we can fold this! Remember we are not playing GTO against the best players in the world! This is 2 NLHE! We can make a fair chunk of unbalanced playes without compromissing our winrate. Unbalanced checks, unbalanced folds and unbalanced bet sizes, this is how we exploit weaker players.
I will repeat: it doesn't make much sense to charge flush draws, OESDs or gutshots knowing that will never fold! And when it completes their equity in the river we MUST fold. Put a not in guys like that, this is the classic "Flush chaser", the guy will pay a lot with its flush draws and when it misses, sometimes, they are going to shove river, trying to represent anything.
Some players will never fold any flush draw even if you shove all in flop. So decide what is the better for you. In my personal game, I don't like entering into high variance spots against flush-chasers, flush-bluffers types.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
pokercuttlefish

pokercuttlefish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my theory

new to reply to . you hit the K. maybe bet half your stack on the flop. he call. chasing or he has A. flush draw he may fold. cant beat luck. more of a tourney player here.diamond on the river was scary. probably would have folded.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally wouldn't have played the hand so aggressively, i would of actually considered folding pre-flop as KJ off isnt a hand I wouldn't really want to play oop against a loose guy with little fold equity,
Don't mind the C-bet on the wet flop but probably would of preferred a check as you've got some half decent SDV.
And almost always a fold on the river as you lose to straights, flushes, & trips, unlikely a boat as you would of probably seen more action pre or on the flop.
Also river jams at the micros are almost always strong hands.

Folding in Poker