$2 NLHE 6-max: Should AKo C-bet this flop?

• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played this so bad, I should have either folded or x-r flop.

The range that he's calling 3-bets from the blinds... does it include many jacks other than AJ? Maybe KJ? Should we C-bet here for that reason?

I'm more interested in the flop or turn maybe. My bluff almost worked, I think if I actually went all-in (I just started playing .01/.02 so I'm not used to figuring out SPR and stuff on the fly yet) it would work some non-zero percent of the time, but I played so bad up to that it doesnt matter.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 126 BB (VPIP: 20.83, PFR: 20.83, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 24)
UTG: 175.5 BB (VPIP: 4.17, PFR: 4.17, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
CO: 171.5 BB (VPIP: 47.83, PFR: 43.48, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 24)
BTN: 118.5 BB (VPIP: 20.83, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 24)
Hero (SB): 97 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K A

fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, Hero raises to 8.5 BB, fold, BTN calls 6 BB

Flop: (18 BB, 2 players) 6 7 J
Hero checks, BTN bets 13.5 BB, Hero calls 13.5 BB

Turn: (45 BB, 2 players) T
Hero checks, BTN bets 22.5 BB, Hero calls 22.5 BB

River: (90 BB, 2 players) 5
Hero bets 36.5 BB, BTN calls 36.5 BB

BTN shows A J (One Pair, Jacks)
(Pre 26%, Flop 82%, Turn 84%)
Hero shows K A (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 74%, Flop 18%, Turn 16%)
BTN wins 155 BB

2 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: Should AKo C-bet this flop?

Complete amateur here, so I’m here more for the banter than to offer solid analysis.

So that said, I think the preflop raise was a little small — I’d probably make it 4x-5X the villain’s raise (so 10BB-12.5BB) to take into account poor position. Would have likely been called anyway.

In your decision not to c-bet, was your plan to call the flop and then bet/bluff the turn? If so, you should have probably check-raised on the turn, and it should have probably been a pot sized raise. Not sure why you’d call the flop and turn, and then lead the river without presence of a legitimate and believable scare card on river. (Would you have really 3bet with 89? And if you had that or completed a set, wouldn’t you have check-raised the turn for value?)

The bet is almost suggesting that you were calling it all down and making a set with pocket 55s, which wouldn’t really make sense either.

My 2c anyway.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since EP is less likely to include in a 3-bet range to Jacks, instead it is much more likely to include them from late positions. So I think you played very well in the flop.
In the flop when you pay, you are basically buying your equity for the color, or maybe you carry a high or medium pocket. (interpretation of the villain)
So from your place, you are fundamentally representing the following hands: AsKs; AsQs; AsTs QsKs; A-A; K-K; Q-Q; T-T; 9-9; 8-8.
The size that the villain has chosen represents a value hand. Obviously from the last position of the table and with its minimum open raise, we must include in its range some speculative combos. And in this case, we have low suited connectors, such as 4-5 and 8-9 that are a threat to us.
On the turn, a T appears and the color line could not be completed. So this point, we have a negative impact on our range. Many of our combinations have failed. Although we can now represent a set of ten, the villain is ahead, as he could seek to catch us with doubles like J-T.
In addition, it is also possible that BTN has formed its wheel. So I think that, although the color line of spades on the river is completed, we are being dominated in bluffing and there is probably no more profitable action for our hand.
So from this place I would not look for the broadway and would fold.
When you made the bet on the river, which was a small size, you wanted to represent a ladder. But according to your probable range of hands that we had built at the beginning, it was unbelievable to the villain that you to have a ladder.
Maybe this last bet would have worked better with some set, but with pure air it doesn't end up being profitable for this type of board.

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that flop hits his capped range harder than your 3 betting range. Maybe 3 bet to 10 BB out of position, but putting in that much money with AK high will be a long term losing play. Check fold that flop is not the end of the world.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise bigger preflop like 11bbs. Also he should have mamy Js there and 67 78 7J JT J9 JQ 89 that beats you on turn.. your raise was so small preflop that he should not be folding many hands esp in position

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to be honest I really don't think there's a problem with your 3 bet size here. I think your 3.4x is fine here give how large your 3 bet range vs BTN open should be and you'll want to keep your range very merged, raising the size will generally limit the amount of hands you can 3 bet in this spot which will cut into your long term win rate (maybe not at 2nl where you should play more straight forward and exploitative against the fish)

I think the flop is a standard downsize to maybe 33% pot then fold to a raise. Calling here is questionable at best after checking as you're probably need help from one of your 6 outs (hopefully) or maybe a little bit of love on the turn to give you a few more.

The turn is a pretty bad call, it might seem like a good price, but hes going to be holding a lot of your outs with AsXs, KJ QJ KQ. and AJ is also in villains range.

On the river, if you were planning on betting large if you miss, jam the turn. But I don't recommend you do either.

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think if you are going to C-bet on the flop, it needs to be large to represent strength and keep the momentum/pressure on from pre-flop. Another option is to check raise on the flop. If the villain calls or re-raises you would get away. Turn and river are not good cards and you really don't want to be playing with AKo on those streets with this board and position. Your villain's range is too wide and connects way better than yours does. It's okay to walk away and be profitable.