$2 NLHE 6-max: SB x BB: check-raise flop is okay here?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi there CardsChat community, I have a problem with a hand and I need your help:
Well, it seems that the player in the BB is a recreational.
We open 3.5x with AQo from SB in gap and BB 3-bets. The doubt here is if we should be 4-betting more here or cold calling more.
In the flop, we had a pretty decent equity and we decide to check-raise, BB calls.
In the turn we have nothing more to do, but I would love to know how this hand could be played in a most optimal manner.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224uG0GvN

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbos

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these 6max tables I'd rather go for a 4bet. Considering that BB was prepared to 3bet with 56s proves that we can safely go for a 4bet most of the time.

As for post flop, I don't quite understand the check-raise on the flop, and I definitely don't understand check raise the turn.

If you did raised the flop, then why not lead the turn? I mean, any decent, even average player, will not bet turn like your opponent did with bottom 2P, then will likely check back. And another thing, what do you do if your opponent jams?

To summarize:

I would 4bet pre. The way it was played pre, check-call flop, check-call turn, see what happens on the river.
The way it was played on the flop, turn bet should be mandatory IMO.

There is a cool video from Bencb on youtube, where he plays zoom 100NL and there you can see how often and how wide he re-raises in 6max zoom tables

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode IV: Small Blind x Big Blind - Stealing Ranges

In these 6max tables I'd rather go for a 4bet. Considering that BB was prepared to 3bet with 56s proves that we can safely go for a 4bet most of the time.

As for post flop, I don't quite understand the check-raise on the flop, and I definitely don't understand check raise the turn.

If you did raised the flop, then why not lead the turn? I mean, any decent, even average player, will not bet turn like your opponent did with bottom 2P, then will likely check back. And another thing, what do you do if your opponent jams?

To summarize:

I would 4bet pre. The way it was played pre, check-call flop, check-call turn, see what happens on the river.
The way it was played on the flop, turn bet should be mandatory IMO.

There is a cool video from Bencb on youtube, where he plays zoom 100NL and there you can see how often and how wide he re-raises in 6max zoom tables

Thanks for the recommendation of the video, very interesting. We can notice that average regulars of 100 NLHE are opening 100% range from SB versus BB, when it comes in gap.
Because they have an absolute well developed postflop gameplan plus emotional control and a decent bankroll.
BB is going to fold too much, but, being a regular of the field that your fellow table mates are opening 100% from SB to steal the blinds. The player in the BB widens its 3-bet range for value from 15% to 25% range of 3-betting light.
The SB blind also knows that the player of the BB is going to widen its 3-bet light range, specially because it has position postlop. This way SB widens its 4-bet light range from 4% to 8% and some cases, even 15% of 4-bet light range, depending on how weak/spewy/whale the player of the BB is.
I agree the 4-bet would be better here, because AQ is out of position. If the situation were on the other side I guess that calling would work fine in a 50/50 frequency. Calling 3-bet out of position put us in danger places like this.
IF SB 4-bets versus BB for VALUE, because the 3-bet light range of the BB player is wild. IF this guy is 3-betting/stealing preflop with combos of 65s, we can really wide our 4-bet light range. In this case it would be a 4-bet for value, and BB would call down anyways, because know BB will looks like an idiot if it folds to a 4-bet in position now.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Z

ZeZe2005

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well played especially that check raise on the turn the only thing i would do differently would be in the flop i would a certain percentage of the time call his 0.21 bet because in this NL2 games people associate calling with weakness so some kinds of players are more likely to put more money on the pot in later streets on the long run
But well played overall:)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is fine. A 4 bet could be good given a specific read on villain.

Check raising the flop with the 3rd nut flush draw may be considered optimistic though. the hand worked out. But if all the $ does go in on that turn, you will often be drawing dead to the K or A of hearts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
We can certainly 4-bet AQ, when its blind vs. blind, but calling the 3-bet is also fine. For me it would depend on opponent tendencies.

Flop
I prefer to just check-call. If he has a hand like AA, KK or AK with a heart, you are just setting yourself up to lose a lot of money, if another heart comes.

Turn
Probably just a check-call again. You got pretty lucky to get called by worse here in my opinion.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I play here only call pre flop to his 3bet, because we are out of position. On the flop I also play like some guys and I play check-call flop, for me is a little safer option. We have a lot of outs to catch the flush or catch good pair with good kicker. On the turn I think that option check-raise is not stupid idea. Opponent from the big blinds was more aggressive pre flop and usually he will be continue after the flop and sometimes on the turn. If we bet the turn as a first player in this hand, opponent can fold his hand, because of the flush.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

wow crazy hand xD, I don't understand many things xD.

Pre
Standard call to his 3-bet, for sure you can 4bet but this move is pretty fancy for the limit xD without AA, KK. Anyways I call too here, although the 4bet is many times the winning move.

Flop
Bad flop. I don't like your check raise for many reasons... it's very risky and you are not drawing to the nuts. I can understand it only as a bluff with some potential to win here but then I don't like your sizing, it's too small.
Villain's bet and call to your raise are right moves.

Turn
What's your intention by checking. To provoke a bet? And then you raised although he's committed to the pot. Risky again.
But here I don't like villain's moves either. No his bet and certainly no his call to the raise even if he's almost committed.
Wild plays from both of you xD. Is there any history between the two of you?

As for me, I think that I check call both flop and turn and I 'll have a tough decision on the river if he has the guts to bluff xD.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is fine both options. I prefer calling because you belted big pre so I guess villains range should be tighter than vs 3BB steal.You overplayed your hand on a very wet board.
If you had AhXx maybe you can XR because you don't have a position. You just increasing variance. And what if turn comes Q after you rase?