$2 NLHE 6-max: Running a big bluff at the micros. Ideas?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi there CardsChat community! I have played this hand at 2 NLHE and I tried to float Villain in position, let's see it. Any ideas, comments, thoughts, critics would be very much appreciated!

It comes in gap to CO (110.5 BB) with AdQh who raises to 3x
folds, folds BB (258 BB) who 3bets to 3.16x
CO calls

heads-up, pot 19.5 blinds
Flop: 9h9d8d
BB bets 10.5 blinds and CO calls

My intention to call here is to try to bluff many turns and river because I have the ace blocker and the flush nuts blocker. Plus, the BB 3betting range x BTN is usually very wide

Pot size Turn: 40.5
Turn: 9h9d8d 3s
BB double barrels to 21.5 blinds and CO calls

Again, I called here to try to bluff many rivers, such a diamond, an ace, a king, etc

Pot size River: 83.5 blinds
River: 9h9d8d3s Kd
BB checks and CO JAMS ALL-IN and BB calls.

Conclusion:

Well, I decided to jam here because there was a very interesting pot for fighting for (+80 BB) and I would have a lot of fold equity. The only hands that could be paying a shove river easily are the Full-Houses and the Flushed and the Big Blind wouldn't have many combos of it at the time.
Which hands would you be calling a jam river here? I know that Villain could have AK, AJ, KJ, KT, in its 3bet range of BB x BTN, but it also would contain a lot of hands that should not be calling a jam river, such as 9x with a trips, K8s, and Kx for example should be folding right off the bat. Please, I would love to know what do you think.
I bluffed here because I had the flush nuts blocker and, theoretically, only the boats could be easily calling here.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By unlocking semi bluffs like JT you can try the push from the turn, since in the river the gap widens and the blockers that you keep from that place, now they are not quite good, since most of the time you will receive calls, which they will probably come from broader ranges, composed primarily of bluff catchers, which can now protect their initial structure.
No wonder trips or double pairs in the v range. This is even more likely, when the attack sequence starts from the preflop. I guess you had a special reading about BB, which made you think you could achieve a large fold equity. In any case, this must be the villain's behavior, in order to adjust the applications, according to the answers we obtained from previous laanos.
Greetings.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
By unlocking semi bluffs like JT you can try the push from the turn, since in the river the gap widens and the blockers that you keep from that place, now they are not quite good, since most of the time you will receive calls, which they will probably come from broader ranges, composed primarily of bluff catchers, which can now protect their initial structure.
No wonder trips or double pairs in the v range. This is even more likely, when the attack sequence starts from the preflop. I guess you had a special reading about BB, which made you think you could achieve a large fold equity. In any case, this must be the villain's behavior, in order to adjust the applications, according to the answers we obtained from previous laanos.
Greetings.

Hi there gustav197poker how you doing? Thank you for your analysis. I thought about it, that a check-raise turn would work better, but in the turn I would have a lot of missed draws that I would not entirely represent. The flush draw, the straight draw did not get there, so I decided to wait for good rivers that could represent my BTN's calling range.
In the river, I thought I would have many flushes, including the flush nuts because I have the ace of diamonds as a blocker, I could have a couple of pockets 8's and 3's, K9, and maybe AK that it is a very strong hand for calling a 3bet in a situation of BB 3bets x BTN.
Given Villain's line (bet 1/2 pot flop and bet 1/2 pot turn and check-river) I put it in many missed draws because I don't see any 9x or pocket 8's doing it.
Besides, I could never win this hand by checking behind river, because most of times Villain will show a better one. The only way of trying to get a pretty sizeable pot was jamming river for bluff and putting the hard choice on villain's shoulders.

Regards;

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: CO vs Blinds, it is 4bet.

Flop: Standard call
Turn: Fold, to float you at least need some 9 blockers.
River: I think you showdown value, villain can have some missed draws. Check.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Preflop: CO vs Blinds, it is 4bet.

Flop: Standard call
Turn: Fold, to float you at least need some 9 blockers.
River: I think you showdown value, villain can have some missed draws. Check.

Hi there liuouhgkres, thank you for your reply. Well, very good observation you made, that we could be 4betting from time to time AQo vs BB 3bet. Don't you think our 4bet range isn't too wide for a situation like that? Or, that AQ is strong enough to call and play in position, considering that both 4bet and call have similar EV?
How wide should be our 4bet range BTN x BB (considering that even the 4bet it is an attemptive of 4bet Steal)?

In the flop it is a standard call, but how can we call flops to fold turns in a situation like that? I believe that if we should have some total air bluffs here it would be with AQ in a lower flop. When I call in the flop I am already preparing a float either in the turn or river.

In the river I thought the contrary: that my hand didn't have too much showdown lavue because Villain 1/2 pot flop and 1/2 turn, and when it checks it is very strong but, by the same token it wants to be sure it has the best hand.

IF I were in Villain's shoes with QQ and AA I would not be glad to call an all-in river. If I have AK I would require lots of information that BTN is bluffing many rivers. If I have any flush, in BB's shoes, I am not happy at all because I don't have the flush nuts, and considering all of it, the river presents a double pair situation, where once in a while our flushes will be eaten by full-houses. Because of that I didn't see an easy decision for villain with the greatest part of its range.
Hands that were in its range that could be easily calling are KK and 88, or a lower flush. Even so, considering that almost never player run these bluffs at the micros, I believe that once in a while we must have a bluff range like that. Thanks!

Regards;

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don’t bluff at Micros. Don’t float in 3B pots with air.

Your winnings come from valuebetting and valuebetting Thin. Not from bluffing.

People are passive. People love to call. Of course they like to draw but still if you don’t have the initiative, it’s very -EV.

Also I would rather bluff when there is no draw. This board is so draw heavy that he might call you with any pair of you bluff the turn.

This, this, and this again...

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Don’t bluff at Micros. Don’t float in 3B pots with air.

Your winnings come from valuebetting and valuebetting Thin. Not from bluffing.

People are passive. People love to call. Of course they like to draw but still if you don’t have the initiative, it’s very -EV.

Also I would rather bluff when there is no draw. This board is so draw heavy that he might call you with any pair of you bluff the turn.

Thanks 0815am for your comments! This is how I was playing 6 months ago, and losing a lot of value at 2 NLHE: at the time I didn't know for sure that it is impossible to bluff idiots, with all due respect to my opponent. Actually, my learning get through my ego and personal perception, and while I was thinking that "omg, how idiots these guys are! They never fold", while I was thinking like this, I was the very idiot myself!
Well, I'm still a little bit idiot and have a lot to learn but now I finally learn to respect my adversaries and their respectives levels of thinking the game, and playing accordingly.
My game is not perfect now, but it is a little bit more solid. ;)
Everybody was right on their comments check the result: :cool:
The guy had a AK and saw a fish trying to bluff where it shouldn't be bluffing and decided to call with TPTK (The fish in question was I). :p

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324lAK07J

Regards;

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the double float better if the flop is KK8 or JJ7 or something along those lines. There's too many busted draws, and it's not ideal to want to rep the nut flush (with your Ad) when the board is paired.

You kind of have the right idea on what you should be doing, but to be profitable in these spots you want to pick the most ideal situations. This will in effect do two things for you - 1) Limit how often you are bluffing and 2) put you in the most +EV situations.

As you move up in stakes, you can start looking for slightly less ideal, but still good spots and open up more bluffing opportunities.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like the double float better if the flop is KK8 or JJ7 or something along those lines. There's too many busted draws, and it's not ideal to want to rep the nut flush (with your Ad) when the board is paired.

You kind of have the right idea on what you should be doing, but to be profitable in these spots you want to pick the most ideal situations. This will in effect do two things for you - 1) Limit how often you are bluffing and 2) put you in the most +EV situations.

As you move up in stakes, you can start looking for slightly less ideal, but still good spots and open up more bluffing opportunities.

Hi there John A, thank you for your patience and kindness to comment. You are right, I should be checking this river almost 100% of times and to be sincere I could be folding turn since my hand didn't improve and villain will have some AK in its range.
You book is very helpful and I will print the book so I can analyse it and study better, reading on computer's make my eyes tired, but even so I read one or other chapter, it has become my personal poker bible.
When I print the book I will begin to make more comments on your thread, based on the book and try to clarify some leaks in my game.

Regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly I think, this is a little to FPS for the micros and especially 2NL. You assume, he is only going to call you with a boat or a flush, but I think, you will get locked up by a lot of two pair hands as well. His TT-QQ obviously did not like the river card, which is why, he checked, but that does not automatically mean, he is going to check-fold. Sometimes he will also have hit the K, most often with AK maybe KQ, and then he is definitely not going to fold, when he just made his hand.

You have to remember, that you are playing for the price of nothing. So there is no fear factor, as in for instance a 2/1 live game, where losing a stack is real money to most people. This mean, that a feeling like pride is going to control a lot of the action, and most people really hate to get bluffed. So rather than trying to ram it down their throat, you are generally better off keeping most of your big bets for value. Its not very exciting or advanced, but it works.