$2 NLHE 6-max: QQ MP 3-handed Pot in position? Which line to take?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello there CardsChat community. I got a problem with a hand and I need your help:

Notes: Both UTG and SB are recreational players.

Hero MP: QhQd
UTG (164.5 BB Effective Stack) raises 3x, Hero MP (177 BB Effective Stack) 3-bets 3x, folds, folds, SB (55 BB Effective Stack) calls 3x 3-bet, folds, UTG calls 3x 3-bet

3 players in the pot
Pot size: 28 BB
Flop: 7hJs8h

SB donks 27 bb, UTG calls 27 bb, Hero MP our action?

WARNING!!!

A) If your answer is fold, I would love to know why.
B) If your answer is call/raise follow here:

SB donks 27 bb, UTG calls 27 bb, Hero MP calls 27 bb
Pot size: 109 BB
Turn: 7hJs8h Qc

SB shoves 19.5 bb, UTG calls 19.5 bb, Hero MP JAMS ALL-IN

My doubt here is if we should be calling in the flop, because in the turn there was nothing more to do. Here is the replayer for those who enjoy it. GG always! :D https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/024ulhmfD :D

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the flop you can look for an insulation with sb and at the same time you block the flush door that opens on the board. The utg call is a sign of weakness, so you should try to get it on the flop.
I will see the final answer in the replayer.

I saw the final result. This hand really was a cooler. Don't change the sequence at all as you played. In any case, the result ends up being the same.
In the flop you had a double backdoor, probably reduced in probabilities due to the ranks vs assets. So you could only defend against semi bluffs, reducing the variance of 3 ways a little.

Greetings.

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. I think calling flop is the most difficult play to make here but I also think it is correct when we are 3 ways and block hearts. Raising may seem like the easy way out on the flop to many but I think it just allows any decent V to fold a lot of their range correctly when behind and commit our stack when we are behind unless an A, K, heart hits and we can somehow get away. With less than a pot sized raise left on the turn I also like the jam with top set. Even if he somehow has the T9 we have 10 outs to boat up. All the other hands we have crushed, although hearts have some equity. Gross when they hit the one outter on the river. Hang in there man.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well played. I think calling flop is the most difficult play to make here but I also think it is correct when we are 3 ways and block hearts. Raising may seem like the easy way out on the flop to many but I think it just allows any decent V to fold a lot of their range correctly when behind and commit our stack when we are behind unless an A, K, heart hits and we can somehow get away. With less than a pot sized raise left on the turn I also like the jam with top set. Even if he somehow has the T9 we have 10 outs to boat up. All the other hands we have crushed, although hearts have some equity. Gross when they hit the one outter on the river. Hang in there man.

I agree with all your thinking. But in this case sb and utg have signs of recreational players. Against them we can induce bluffs in utg. This villain can block an important part of our range. For this reason we can use our overpair, to charge a higher price in this place, protecting our queens in the flop.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all your thinking. But in this case sb and utg have signs of recreational players. Against them we can induce bluffs in utg. This villain can block an important part of our range. For this reason we can use our overpair, to charge a higher price in this place, protecting our queens in the flop.
First, what does it really mean when we say that these guys are both recreational players? In my opinion this only means that they are not professional. It does not explicitly tell us that they have a particular weakness that we can exploit by raising flop. If we had a specific read that they were loose, or sticky, then I would be more in favor of building a pot quicker. Some players call too much, some players fold too much, they can both be recreational. Before we decide to raise we should think about how they will likely respond.

Here we are already in a protected 3 bet pot in position and with a short stack and a healthy stack. We can still get it in by the turn as we did here since we are in a 3 way 3 bet pot. By raising flop we can reduce our EV by getting Jx to fold and maybe smaller flush draws or AK, AQ, TT, JT, there are a LOT of combos that will continue to put money in if we just call flop that may otherwise fold if we raise flop. Also if they were going to make the mistake of calling the raise on the flop with just a flush draw then they are likely to make the same mistake on the turn only this time it is for all of the chips. We also get to pot control on bad run outs. I think it's natural to want to over protect your QhQx here but in reality I think there are very few flushes to worry about and very few over cards to worry about. So we can still play close to perfectly and extract more value by keeping Jx, TT, 99, and heart draws, in by flatting flop. This also has the added bonus of letting us catch up to hands that have us beat like T9, or 87, or a set. Also, some of the so called rec group don't have a 4 bet range and could show up here with KK or AA for UTG. By raising flop we are narrowing UTGs already strong range to the hands that are more likely to have us beat. If UTG has a hand like AKhh or AThh they have just as much equity as we do, so it will be much more +EV to eval turn before committing our stack.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, what does it really mean when we say that these guys are both recreational players? In my opinion this only means that they are not professional. It does not explicitly tell us that they have a particular weakness that we can exploit by raising flop. If we had a specific read that they were loose, or sticky, then I would be more in favor of building a pot quicker. Some players call too much, some players fold too much, they can both be recreational. Before we decide to raise we should think about how they will likely respond.

Here we are already in a protected 3 bet pot in position and with a short stack and a healthy stack. We can still get it in by the turn as we did here since we are in a 3 way 3 bet pot. By raising flop we can reduce our EV by getting Jx to fold and maybe smaller flush draws or AK, AQ, TT, JT, there are a LOT of combos that will continue to put money in if we just call flop that may otherwise fold if we raise flop. Also if they were going to make the mistake of calling the raise on the flop with just a flush draw then they are likely to make the same mistake on the turn only this time it is for all of the chips. We also get to pot control on bad run outs. I think it's natural to want to over protect your QhQx here but in reality I think there are very few flushes to worry about and very few over cards to worry about. So we can still play close to perfectly and extract more value by keeping Jx, TT, 99, and heart draws, in by flatting flop. This also has the added bonus of letting us catch up to hands that have us beat like T9, or 87, or a set. Also, some of the so called rec group don't have a 4 bet range and could show up here with KK or AA for UTG. By raising flop we are narrowing UTGs already strong range to the hands that are more likely to have us beat. If UTG has a hand like AKhh or AThh they have just as much equity as we do, so it will be much more +EV to eval turn before committing our stack.

But when calling on the flop we are increasing the range of speculative hands in utg, which implies greater variance in the long term. If we can get it on the flop, it can never be deficient considering the texture of the board. From small boats, extracting cash value is a positive strategy, especially when there are more than 2 positions involved. If we reach 4bet-flop then we have a very close fold in nl2.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But when calling on the flop we are increasing the range of speculative hands in utg, which implies greater variance in the long term. If we can get it on the flop, it can never be deficient considering the texture of the board. From small boats, extracting cash value is a positive strategy, especially when there are more than 2 positions involved. If we reach 4bet-flop then we have a very close fold in nl2.
This may seem counter intuitive but I think we drastically reduce variance by calling flop. If we raise flop and get called I think we are mostly facing either hands that have us beat already or hands that we are flipping a coin against (Ahxh, Khxh). This is not the range we want to get our stack in against. By calling we keep in hands that we have crushed like Jx and can still get away from the hand if the turn is bad. Also, those coin flip hands that miss the turn are now likely 2:1 underdogs on the turn where our raise is much greater +EV.

Which hands do we expect to call our flop raise that we have crushed? Without a read that UTG is super wide pre, since we are in a 3 bet pot he should be snap folding Jx or worse when we raise flop. I can't think of any naked flush draw in a three bet pot without an overcard or gutter ball straight draw to go with it so in this case we aren't really ahead anyway, the equities are pretty much even so we aren't charging the draw we are just building a pot and hoping they make a horrible call with Jx or worse or hoping we win a coin flip against a combo draw. So we increase variance by building a huge pot without an equity advantage and reduce it by trying to correctly evaluate turn and make the right move on the turn or river.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This may seem counter intuitive but I think we drastically reduce variance by calling flop. If we raise flop and get called I think we are mostly facing either hands that have us beat already or hands that we are flipping a coin against (Ahxh, Khxh). This is not the range we want to get our stack in against. By calling we keep in hands that we have crushed like Jx and can still get away from the hand if the turn is bad. Also, those coin flip hands that miss the turn are now likely 2:1 underdogs on the turn where our raise is much greater +EV.

Which hands do we expect to call our flop raise that we have crushed? Without a read that UTG is super wide pre, since we are in a 3 bet pot he should be snap folding Jx or worse when we raise flop. I can't think of any naked flush draw in a three bet pot without an overcard or gutter ball straight draw to go with it so in this case we aren't really ahead anyway, the equities are pretty much even so we aren't charging the draw we are just building a pot and hoping they make a horrible call with Jx or worse or hoping we win a coin flip against a combo draw. So we increase variance by building a huge pot without an equity advantage and reduce it by trying to correctly evaluate turn and make the right move on the turn or river.

The more active players there are in one hand, the more variance we have in the game. If we raise the flop, there are some hands that can be removed and some combos that arrived and defeated us. But punctually analyzing this sequence, there is a covered player and if we consider a uniform criterion, there are many combinations that have no pure value and can float on this board. Against that bluff range we can print money. Jx; A-8; A-K; Q-J; K-J Etc. Therefore, this is a place where we can test open calls, out of position.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more active players there are in one hand, the more variance we have in the game. If we raise the flop, there are some hands that can be removed and some combos that arrived and defeated us. But punctually analyzing this sequence, there is a covered player and if we consider a uniform criterion, there are many combinations that have no pure value and can float on this board. Against that bluff range we can print money. Jx; A-8; A-K; Q-J; K-J Etc. Therefore, this is a place where we can test open calls, out of position.
In general I agree that we should be attacking weak looking capped ranges with strong hands in position for value. I feel like in this case we are well ahead of the range we want UTG to continue putting money in with. If we are behind though, we are way behind. And the critical part from my perspective is, that there are too many hands that UTG should be calling / raising with here where we are actually slightly behind. By raising the range you listed above I expect to get folds almost every time unless they also have heart draws. And if that is the case, we are putting in money from behind (equity wise). If we think they are bad enough to call with those hands then they will still be bad enough to call on the turn when we have a much more profitable raise against a much larger portion of their range.

I changed some cards to just look at some equities from hands I would expect to call our flop raise, and those aren't hands I want to play against for stacks because we are either very narrowly ahead or behind. Equities can change drastically on each street though. With the luxury of position, I prefer to call flop and eval. I think it limits our losses without limiting our wins too much, although we may occasionally be outdrawn or make a folding mistake. I don't think it's fair to assume UTG will stack off with Jx here in a 3 bet pot so our reason for betting is just to fold out the weak part of his range and play against the strong part of his range that mostly has us beat. Instead, if we flat we can get more from the weaker part of his range and improve our odds against missed flush and straight draws significantly. Not to mention occasionally hitting bingo and getting stacks in like we did here. Long story short, if UTG is bad enough to stack off weak, he will still stack off weak on the turn when our equities look much better barring a scare card.

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=8s7s&h3=AhJc&s=generic

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=KhTh&h3=AhJc&s=generic

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=KhJh&h3=AdJc&s=generic

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=AhKh&h3=AdJc&s=generic

And these do not even include the times we are crushed vs KK+, 77, 88, JJ, T9.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call flop and call turn for me. You turn a very strong hand with a set of queens. and only losing to a straight which is a very specific hand. If you are losing on the turn you gained a ton of outs. Unfortunately running into quads, a one outter, is tough.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general I agree that we should be attacking weak looking capped ranges with strong hands in position for value. I feel like in this case we are well ahead of the range we want UTG to continue putting money in with. If we are behind though, we are way behind. And the critical part from my perspective is, that there are too many hands that UTG should be calling / raising with here where we are actually slightly behind. By raising the range you listed above I expect to get folds almost every time unless they also have heart draws. And if that is the case, we are putting in money from behind (equity wise). If we think they are bad enough to call with those hands then they will still be bad enough to call on the turn when we have a much more profitable raise against a much larger portion of their range.

I changed some cards to just look at some equities from hands I would expect to call our flop raise, and those aren't hands I want to play against for stacks because we are either very narrowly ahead or behind. Equities can change drastically on each street though. With the luxury of position, I prefer to call flop and eval. I think it limits our losses without limiting our wins too much, although we may occasionally be outdrawn or make a folding mistake. I don't think it's fair to assume UTG will stack off with Jx here in a 3 bet pot so our reason for betting is just to fold out the weak part of his range and play against the strong part of his range that mostly has us beat. Instead, if we flat we can get more from the weaker part of his range and improve our odds against missed flush and straight draws significantly. Not to mention occasionally hitting bingo and getting stacks in like we did here. Long story short, if UTG is bad enough to stack off weak, he will still stack off weak on the turn when our equities look much better barring a scare card.

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=8s7s&h3=AhJc&s=generic

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=KhTh&h3=AhJc&s=generic

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=KhJh&h3=AdJc&s=generic

http://www.propokertools.com/simulations/show?b=Js7h8h&g=he&h1=QhQd&h2=AhKh&h3=AdJc&s=generic

And these do not even include the times we are crushed vs KK+, 77, 88, JJ, T9.

Of course, in a more regular approach I agree with your thinking (as I said at the beginning). However, I find a range of pockets in utg unlikely. That's why I suppose a broader range structure in this villain. Obviously we can put together more precise opening lines, if we have PF frequencies of calls-3bet / 4bet OP. If we include any of these combos, (which hit our range) we have a fixed protection call on the flop.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're not raising flop to protect our hand, we're raising for value. Sure, they could fold but depending on the raise size, they're a good chance at least one of these guys call with worse hands. Raising also may induce them to try and trap us on the turn if the flush or another J show up, allowing us to get a free river card.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-bet could be a little larger but no big deal.

Flop
This spot kind of suck, because we are against two players with very different stack sizes. Against SB there is no way, I am ever folding an overpair in a 3-bet pot, when he only started with 55BB. There are so many draws or top pair, he can be leading with, that I am just not folding QQ against him like ever.

It sucks however, that UTG called, because we are 165BB deep against him, and that is a bit to much to automatically stack off an overpair. And with this large donk bet and a call, the pot size is spiralling out of control already. So I am definitely not raising, and I frankly hope, that UTG does not take over the betting later in the hand, so that I can get to showdown without risking my entire stack.

Turn
We turned top set sweet! Now I like to play for all the money, so definitely raising and getting it in here. If UTG has some kind of draw, lets force him to commit his stack now, or get out of our pot. I dont want to see a 1-liner or a flush come in on the river.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
gratitute

Hello there CCers, what's up? Nice and profound discussion, I loved it. Thanks everyone for the time and attention, very good thoughts and ideias that are going to assist our thinking level of the game and improve our readings. Thank you very much!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling is the worst option. Too many cards either kill action or ruin your hand, if your no ahead now.

Folding saves your stack in a multi way pot where QQ is not that strong. It's a little weak.

Raising is stronger, but you need to know your opponents. There was a pot sized bet and a call, meaning Simone likely had your hands in bad shape. Who donks? Straights, strong draws, trips, 2 pair maybe a slow played AA or KK, and a top pair hand. Who calls? The same range.
How does QQ stand up to that range? Also the pot is so big raise/fold is out.

I hate playing weakly, but this is a fold.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands