$2 NLHE 6-max: Playing QQ pre-flop when getting 3-bet with 1 caller

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there anything else I can do here except get it in on pre?

Facing 1 opponent I can see why you might want to just call, but if he's 3-betting anything light at all (A5s, 89s etc.) it feels much better to just 4-bet, is that correct?

Now how does this change with another player cold calling the 3-bet? I was thinking that this makes calling worse since QQ won't play very well in a multi-way pot so I would rather just settle it pre-flop, but there's also the fact that 2 players in the pot makes it a lot more likely that either one of them has KK,AA. Are we forced to just play QQ as a set mining type of hand in this spot?

After he shoves and one opponent folds I think calling is a no-brainer since I'm getting 36%~ pot odds which is more than enough against KK+,AK.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

JackOscar95 (UTG): $4.49 (225 bb)
alex19929 (MP): $2.56 (128 bb)
Faegbh (CO): $2.03 (102 bb)
smartUA (BU): $1.91 (96 bb)
creative617 (SB): $2.06 (103 bb)
Transfarmer (BB): $3.02 (151 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is UTG with Q Q
JackOscar95 (UTG) raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Faegbh (CO) 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, Transfarmer (BB) calls $0.16, JackOscar95 (UTG) 4-bets to $0.72, Faegbh (CO) 5-bets to $2.03 (all-in), 1 fold, JackOscar95 (UTG) calls $1.31

Flop: ($4.25) K 2 J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($4.25) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($4.25) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4.25 (Rake: $0.26)

Showdown:
Faegbh (CO) shows K K (a full house, Kings full of Twos)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 93%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

JackOscar95 (UTG) shows Q Q (a full house, Twos full of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 7%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

Faegbh (CO) wins $3.99

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this particular spot I prefer to just call the 3-bet for two reasons:

1) You opened UTG, which mean, your have your strongest range (at least for 6-max), which mean, that the 3-betting range should also be stronger than, if say you opened on BTN, and now SB repops you.

2) The third player in the hand cold called a 3-bet, which is a way stronger action than cold calling an open raise (2-bet). This might not always be the case at 2NL, because many players are just bad. But he should have an even stronger range than the guy 3-betting you.

This is very different from a situation, where someone cold call your open raise, and then someone squeeze. It also kind of force you to make your 4-bet larger, and in this situation you made it so large, that you more or less committed yourself to call it off, if either of them jammed.

So I do think, that in the long run, when you get action here, you are pretty much always against either KK or AA or maybe occationally against AK, and your 4-bet makes all the weaker hands fold.

If you just call on the other hand, you keep COs bluffing range alive, and you can navigate postflop pretty well. Being a 3-way pot you are somewhat protected from being bluffed, so if the action gets heavy on A or K high flop, you can typically just fold and lose only the amount, you called preflop.

On low boards on the other hand you can sometimes get value from TT-JJ or bluffs. So while you might still get stacked by KK or AA, its more profitable in the long run, because you kept their range that much wider.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With QQ, if I am 3 bet, I will usually 4 bet jam pf.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without reads on pusher its easy fold.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll find more often than not your crushed here once 4 bet.
sure villan can occasionally show up with JJ or AK.

Maybe deeper stacked you could look to 4 bet here but with stacks as they are i just like a call and navigate post flop.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is there anything else I can do here except get it in on pre?

Facing 1 opponent I can see why you might want to just call, but if he's 3-betting anything light at all (A5s, 89s etc.) it feels much better to just 4-bet, is that correct?

Now how does this change with another player cold calling the 3-bet? I was thinking that this makes calling worse since QQ won't play very well in a multi-way pot so I would rather just settle it pre-flop, but there's also the fact that 2 players in the pot makes it a lot more likely that either one of them has KK,AA. Are we forced to just play QQ as a set mining type of hand in this spot?

After he shoves and one opponent folds I think calling is a no-brainer since I'm getting 36%~ pot odds which is more than enough against KK+,AK.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

JackOscar95 (UTG): $4.49 (225 bb)
alex19929 (MP): $2.56 (128 bb)
Faegbh (CO): $2.03 (102 bb)
smartUA (BU): $1.91 (96 bb)
creative617 (SB): $2.06 (103 bb)
Transfarmer (BB): $3.02 (151 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is UTG with Q Q
JackOscar95 (UTG) raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Faegbh (CO) 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, Transfarmer (BB) calls $0.16, JackOscar95 (UTG) 4-bets to $0.72, Faegbh (CO) 5-bets to $2.03 (all-in), 1 fold, JackOscar95 (UTG) calls $1.31

Flop: ($4.25) K 2 J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($4.25) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($4.25) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4.25 (Rake: $0.26)

Showdown:
Faegbh (CO) shows K K (a full house, Kings full of Twos)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 93%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

JackOscar95 (UTG) shows Q Q (a full house, Twos full of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 7%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

Faegbh (CO) wins $3.99

Stop thinking that much at the micros. It doesn't help you.
Now, the preflop gaming was a little poor:

1) Hero raises 3x preflop. CO 3-bets and BB calls.

When and why BB calls out of position in relation to two other opponents? Because BB is strong. Not the strongest hands such as AKs, AA and KK, but we know that BB has a couple of strength to be calling down 3-bet out of position versus two.

2) Hero 4-bets Squeeze to 4x. Now comes the question: What do you expect after that? If Villain CO has worst hands it is going to fold. If it has best hands it is going to jam.
But you are free to dig your own grave mate, and that's what you did by 4-betting this huge ammount preflop: we can never leave anything after we invested more than 50% of our stack preflop.

So here is my ideia: if your plan was to isolate the BB, a 4-bet with a sizing of 3x would have worked just fine.
Once Villain goes all-in preflop we have the sole option to be laying down hands like 99, TT, JJ and QQ that are hands that could be 4-betting in the same situation and calling only with AA, KK and AKs (sometimes).

But, as I said, you polarized your 4-bet sizing turning the fold impossible, so nothing more to add.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa