Hand delivered by Upswing Poker ZOOM/SNAP

UTG: $0.88 (44 bb)
MP: $0.57 (29 bb)
CO: $0.81 (41 bb)
BU: $1.81 (91 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.87 (144 bb)
BB: $1.72 (86 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q K
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB 3-bets to $0.18, Hero 4-bets to $0.38, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.76) 6 K 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.36, BB calls $0.36

Turn: ($1.48) T (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.98 (all-in), Hero calls $0.98

No info on the villain.

Questions:
1. Would you 4bet with KQo at microstakes (SB vs BB)?
2. How would you play this hand instead?

Villain had AA

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I would have 4bet with KQoff with no information on villain. I would've called which would have resulted in catching a good flop. So I might of ended up leading out and finding it hard to fold to a raise. Tough spot there in the blinds.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop, we have 3 choices, and i will rank them here with top being the best imo.
  1. Flat call and see a flop. Yes we are oop but we keep the pot more manageble, and put ourselves in fewer spots where we play for stacks with... KQo which is Marginal.
  2. Fold. Not the worst option by far, i don't like this hand non-suited oop. I think it could actually be the most +EV if villain has 3-bets more weighted towards value.
  3. 4-bet. Yikes, i don't like this at all, we have some fold equity but when we get called it is almost always going to be bad. OOP with offsuit broadways is not how we exploit at low stakes.
Flop is fine, im not excited about turn, but we can't really fold here. I had originally thought (for some odd reason) that villain had jammed for under pot sized on flop. IDK why:D.

Honestly i think most of his range is AA, KK and AK with perhaps some QQ. We are screwed versus AA, KK, we need a K versus Queens and a Q versus AK. I think that if we flat pre we can find a way to get away from this on at least the river, if not then than perhaps even the turn, i say "get away from" because in my experience this is AA, KK pretty much every time. Can't say for sure because my issue with spoilers, but i would bet money on it.

Last edited:

777alex777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think about what type of player sits on BB. If you see 3bet from a player who is a little 3bet, then KQ is already weak. If you play against a maniac or a strong player with a high 3bet, then it makes sense to play a hand through the limp or raise 2bb, so that you do not often have to make a decision on the stack, but also not to fold too many hands

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no info? so fold preflop. Why? let me explain. KQo is mostly defend call on SB vs 3bet BB. Like TenJack said, 4bet is worst option on these positions. But there is one crucial factor which tells me that fold is the best here. BB is not a full stack. What does it mean? that means that he is probably a fish. From my expierence on microstakes there are too many passive preflop fishes. They make too many limps, too many calls, and they open or 3bet only when they have something strong. So every time when I play vs unknown fish I prefer to assume that he is just passive and his 3bet range is very strong. Here we are oop, and even if we are on wide ranges I prefer to make tight folds than involves myself in tough spots. Fold is often better than trying to defend too much.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think about what type of player sits on BB. If you see 3bet from a player who is a little 3bet, then KQ is already weak. If you play against a maniac or a strong player with a high 3bet, then it makes sense to play a hand through the limp or raise 2bb, so that you do not often have to make a decision on the stack, but also not to fold too many hands

Even versus a maniac/way to loose player, we still should not be opening to 2x or limping. If you just want to see a flop then, yeah, a limp-call is the cheapest way, but it is never an optimal line, unless we have some sort of read that says villain is going to make it 30BB with anything trying to steal.

The reason a limp or such a small raise is found to be bad is that, using normal sizing, there is a chance you can get everybody to fold and pick up the blinds. This way you don't even have to see a flop. But if you limp, or make is something silly like 2x, then you are probably not going to just take it down. Also, in different situations it lets more people into a hand, which is normally bad.

I agree with Misaki here, the guy is probably your standard m-stakes fish. I still might have calls here (but thats just my loose style.) Like i said versus a range more value weighted, (which certainly describes fish at nl2) a fold is probably the better line unless you are pretty comfortable post-flop. And there is really never a problem with a tight fold at these stakes.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If one does not have enough stats on the opponent then one should resort to the average player in the player pool are you mostly encountering NITS or MANIAC or .... If mostly NITS and TAGs then it becomes a fold.

As played might even try to get to a cheap showdown with top pair and check. If he raises would call (which looks like a very strong line) and evaluate on the next street.

By betting out on the flop you represent AK, KK and AA and he calls. By now you are most of the time beat so would be done with the hand (unless a K or Q comes off at the turn) and check fold on the turn.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ 4bet wow thats too much i would not 3bet KQ. Top pair is very weak there this hand is recipe of disaster if u play it to hit top pair, u r easily can be out kiked. i dont like any of the steps u took in this hand, i would just fold to 3bet and wait for a better situation.
lets see the spoiler AA have nothing more to say

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally not a fan of 4-betting KQ there, but not saying it's never appropriate. I'd prefer to just keep my opponents bluffs in.

Any ways, outside of that you played the hand fine.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the 4-bet pre. 4-bets need a few some bluffs for balance, but I don't like KQ for that role. If called Villain blocks many of the outs with her strong range. Better to use a lower pair of medium suited connector.

As played, one has to wonder what Villain's range is. It isn't very wide AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQs and bluffs. Hero blocks Ks & Qs, so there are 6 AAs, 1 KK, 3 QQs 8 AKs and 12 AQs. Call it 50/50, so I like the C-Bet. When Villian calls one has to ask, What does she think Hero has that she beats?" She might call the QQs, but not the AQ. Now Hero has 15 combos of losers and only 3 winners. I like teh check on the turn.

When Villain pushes Hero has to fold. Hero didn't just lose to AA, but AK too.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the 4-bet pre. 4-bets need a few some bluffs for balance, but I don't like KQ for that role. If called Villain blocks many of the outs with her strong range. Better to use a lower pair of medium suited connector.

As played, one has to wonder what Villain's range is. It isn't very wide AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQs and bluffs. Hero blocks Ks & Qs, so there are 6 AAs, 1 KK, 3 QQs 8 AKs and 12 AQs. Call it 50/50, so I like the C-Bet. When Villian calls one has to ask, What does she think Hero has that she beats?" She might call the QQs, but not the AQ. Now Hero has 15 combos of losers and only 3 winners. I like teh check on the turn.

When Villain pushes Hero has to fold. Hero didn't just lose to AA, but AK too.

Yes agree unknown I should fold, very rarely to see weak 4bet calling range at microstakes, QQ may not even continue after my cbet

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
against his range, i would call his three bet and check the flop. i'm gonna call most of his bets on the flop, but would fold to a push.

you should know by then whether you're beat or not by his betting pattern and amount after you check.