$2 NLHE 6-max: How to best extract value from a flopped set here

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm pretty discontent with the way I played this hand here but I'm not entirely sure what would've been best. For starters I think my bet on the river was just abysmal since all I would ever do there is value own myself against a flush or straight I think. I definitely should've just checked and then called trying to catch a bluff or thin value bet from villain.

But apart from that I'm not too sure what I should've done differently, after his raise on the flop I put him on something like AQ or KJ with at least 1 spade, so on the turn I thought I could check-raise him to build a huge pot, but then he checks. Is there any way at all here his play makes sense or is it really just nonsense moves?

Would re-raising again on the flop (possibly all in) been better or would that have been too transparent? If he has AQ he probably can't call, right? So the only time we get a call is from something like KQ of spades I think.

Any way I could've gotten more value from this hand?

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

maxdeadlift (UTG): $2.00 (100 bb)
MrMonking (MP): $2.21 (111 bb)
GMasterBOSS (CO): $3.76 (188 bb)
plaer114 (BU): $0.66 (33 bb)
JackOscar95 (SB): $2.40 (120 bb)
ivaschenko70 (BB): $2.41 (121 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is SB with 6 6
3 players fold, plaer114 (BU) calls $0.02, JackOscar95 (SB) raises to $0.10, ivaschenko70 (BB) calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.22) A 6 Q (2 players)
JackOscar95 (SB) bets $0.14, ivaschenko70 (BB) raises to $0.30, JackOscar95 (SB) calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.82) K (2 players)
JackOscar95 (SB) checks, ivaschenko70 (BB) checks

River: ($0.82) 8 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (SB) bets $0.61, ivaschenko70 (BB) folds

Total pot: $0.82 (Rake: $0.05)
JackOscar95 (SB) wins $0.77

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would re-raising again on the flop (possibly all in) been better or would that have been too transparent?

I would have at least reraised after your opponents raise on the flop. You hit your set and got action. This was your opportunity to get paid on a strong hand.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think it is automatic to raise a re-raise on the flop as there are times that you can let villain stack himself. However, I think this specific case is one you would want to re raise because villain should have either an a good Ace or a flush draw (discounting the sets we lose to because no 3 bet but you never know). Either of those holdings is going to call a re raise in my opinion and a flush draw might lead to more raising and eventually getting it in which is what we want. Just calling allows the flush draws to play perfectly on the turn and also the river if they get there.

The bet you make on the river is a too big since your opponent probably does not check the turn with an Ace and now most likely has the flush draw. They probably arent calling any bet but they would clearly have a better chance of calling with a smaller bet than 3/4ths pot. I would go 40-50% there and see if for some reason the villain makes a bad call.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So I'm pretty discontent with the way I played this hand here but I'm not entirely sure what would've been best. For starters I think my bet on the river was just abysmal since all I would ever do there is value own myself against a flush or straight I think. I definitely should've just checked and then called trying to catch a bluff or thin value bet from villain.

But apart from that I'm not too sure what I should've done differently, after his raise on the flop I put him on something like AQ or KJ with at least 1 spade, so on the turn I thought I could check-raise him to build a huge pot, but then he checks. Is there any way at all here his play makes sense or is it really just nonsense moves?

Would re-raising again on the flop (possibly all in) been better or would that have been too transparent? If he has AQ he probably can't call, right? So the only time we get a call is from something like KQ of spades I think.

Any way I could've gotten more value from this hand?

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

maxdeadlift (UTG): $2.00 (100 bb)
MrMonking (MP): $2.21 (111 bb)
GMasterBOSS (CO): $3.76 (188 bb)
plaer114 (BU): $0.66 (33 bb)
JackOscar95 (SB): $2.40 (120 bb)
ivaschenko70 (BB): $2.41 (121 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is SB with 6 6
3 players fold, plaer114 (BU) calls $0.02, JackOscar95 (SB) raises to $0.10, ivaschenko70 (BB) calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.22) A 6 Q (2 players)
JackOscar95 (SB) bets $0.14, ivaschenko70 (BB) raises to $0.30, JackOscar95 (SB) calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.82) K (2 players)
JackOscar95 (SB) checks, ivaschenko70 (BB) checks

River: ($0.82) 8 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (SB) bets $0.61, ivaschenko70 (BB) folds

Total pot: $0.82 (Rake: $0.05)
JackOscar95 (SB) wins $0.77

Preflop is fine. OTF we can be raising or jamming from time to time for protection. BB would never have best hands here such as AA and QQ, not even AQ, so it is a very safe spot to raise for pure value.
OTT, although this King isn't very good for our range, the situation can get even worst on the river and for this reason I would be jamming right on the turn and if BB has me, good for it.
But I would have jammed OTF, it is real much better than giving a cheap turn for BB.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa