Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $1.31 (66 bb)
MP: $0.92 (46 bb)
CO: $1.23 (62 bb)
BU: $1.88 (94 bb)
SB: $1.20 (60 bb)
BB: $4.19 (210 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with Q J
Hero raises to $0.05, 1 fold, CO calls $0.05, BTN calls $0.05, 1 fold, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.21) Q 3 Q (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.10, CO calls $0.10, BU folds, BB calls $0.10

Try to get value from mid pairs, weaker Q or 3x

Turn: ($0.51) 4 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Blank card - but not comfortable with 2 callers , AQ, KQ maybe I will still bet
pot control here
River: ($0.51) 9 (3 players)
BB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.55, BB folds, Hero ?

BB bet looks like blocking bet - could have nuts trapping for raise/re-raise
CO raise looks nut heavy, don't see people overplay QT like that.
Only have 20 hand sample for CO but looks splashy , VPIP:50 , PFR:25

Questions:
1.How would you play this hand?
2. Should I fold to river raise even if the player with splashy stats?

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the preflop raise is too low 4BB is the minimum, the flop bet is very low too 2/3 minimum, in the micros u dont have to get creative just play it straight forward when u hit bet big, turn there is no reason of checking keep betting if they have something they will call, the river its a call if he have a full good for him. u move on to the next hand.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop raise is fine IMO.

Flop bet is fine, not really a drawy board.

Turn check is weird. You have a very strong had just keep firing a half pot sized bet.

River. I'm never folding trip Q's here if they have a boat or better Q so be it. We don't have enough of a sample size to be making that laydown. I think KQ could be played this way from villain but thats a cooler.

My thoughts.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a capped table?

This kinda hurts my eyes a bit.

On paired broadway boards like this a bet is pretty polarising, it says you have a Q, but luckily players don’t always believe it. Let’s use a bigger bet, get more value. I’m assuming with stack sizes that I don’t have to protect my oop checking range, if I did I might check some Qx combos here. Some to x/r.

The turn is a must bet situation. We’re at severe risk of underselling our hand now.

On the river we call a 5bb bet into a pot of 30bb. It’s so weak, I don’t mind it if we expect co to sense weakness and raise.

We’re mega under repped by this river. We look like a pp looking for a cheap sd. I’d jam here 100% of the time, if villains backed into a set of 9’s so be it. This hand defines too high up in our range. Especially if AQ, KQ carry on betting the turn. And we shouldn’t really get here like this with 44, or 99. I’m assuming 33 barrels turn.

So this is the best we can have.

Something to consider is stack size and stack to pot ratio and how this effects our threshold for stacking off.

Spr here is something like 5. So stacking of especially multi way with AQ on a Q96 (tptk) board isnt automatic. But with QJ on a board like QQ3 vs capped ranges it almost certainly is automatic. AQ and KQ should 3B pre at some frequency, CO should almost certainly bet turn when checked to with them and bb almost always bets bigger on the river.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After your turn check, you have to call river.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slam dunk call on river.
You should be turn here. Trips is a great hand!
I could see how checking river has merit as you are OOP.
This nl2 people can overplay middle pair lol

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think that your weak betting on the flop and turn, while understandably done with good intentions to invite mid-pairs to keep playing, is ultimately risky because you don't get any information about who you are up against. Yeah... They could have better Qx than you (including Q9), or they could be holding on to a pocket pair that hits on the flop, turn, or river and you are out to a boat.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty okay with the action til the river, but we COULD definitely continue betting turn imo.

As played, I think the river should be a raise when we face such a small bet. It makes facing the raise behind us super weird, and while I'm really unexcited about it, I probably sigh call.

That being said, we don't beat much if any of the villain's value range, QT only most likely, and it's hard to think of a lot of logical bluffs. I expect to be beat pretty often.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CO had Q9s here, probably I can check raise the flop (as villain is splashy) and get it in the turn with this stack size.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $1.31 (66 bb)
MP: $0.92 (46 bb)
CO: $1.23 (62 bb)
BU: $1.88 (94 bb)
SB: $1.20 (60 bb)
BB: $4.19 (210 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with Q J
Hero raises to $0.05, 1 fold, CO calls $0.05, BTN calls $0.05, 1 fold, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.21) Q 3 Q (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.10, CO calls $0.10, BU folds, BB calls $0.10

Try to get value from mid pairs, weaker Q or 3x

Turn: ($0.51) 4 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Blank card - but not comfortable with 2 callers , AQ, KQ maybe I will still bet
pot control here
River: ($0.51) 9 (3 players)
BB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.55, BB folds, Hero ?

BB bet looks like blocking bet - could have nuts trapping for raise/re-raise
CO raise looks nut heavy, don't see people overplay QT like that.
Only have 20 hand sample for CO but looks splashy , VPIP:50 , PFR:25

Questions:
1.How would you play this hand?
2. Should I fold to river raise even if the player with splashy stats?

1. Always keep your stack on cash tables on 100bb or more. If you intend to play shortstacked on purpose, you should know the proper adjustments. As I assume you are a new player, you should always keep your stack topped up.

2. Openraise bigger on 2NL to at least 3 bb otherwise you will face too much multiway pots.

3. River decision depends whether you think he is capable of raising trash hands here... your river bet is really small and the turn checked through, from my microstakes experience this aggravates extreme amount of bluffy aggression on the river. With the villain stats being 50/25 Im calling, you are calling 45 cents to win 1,70 so you only have to be good 25% of the time to be breaking even. Against a fish who si playing 50/25 I think you can call profitably long term