$2 NLHE 6-max: Folding AA in 3-bet pot after flop raise

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I'm used to playing FR zoom and I can see that it is way nittier than 6-max already. I seem to be making more profit playing 6-max (mistakes are bigger as people try to play looser) so I'll keep doing that.

Here is the hand that made me tank until I had to fold, no read on villain. The kind of hand where I'd say I'm 75% sure I'm beat in FR, but what about 6-max? I expect he would flat a 3-bet with JJ-QQ, maybe 99-TT, AQs and KQs in position without info on me. Thx!

No Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02
pokerstars
6 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG ($1.09)
MP - MP ($1.95)
CO - CO ($2.40)
BTN - BTN ($2.03)
SB - SB ($4.15)
BB - Hero ($2.00)

Preflop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is BB with Ac Ad
2 folds, CO raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, CO calls $0.14

Flop: 4h Td Jc ($0.41, 2 players - Hero: $1.80, CO: $2.20)
Hero bets $0.20, CO raises to $0.76, 1 fold, Uncalled bet of $0.56 returned to CO

Total Pot: $0.81

CO wins $0.78

Last edited:
C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Without any read/information on the villain if its me I fold. To me that kind of bet would scream set, two pair at the worst. Obviously if you see him start to do this kind of overbet repeatedly you can start putting overpairs, tptk, big draws, and maybe even straight up bluffs in his range and definitely find a call.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding is bad.
Id prolly have shoved flop or turn.

Vill can still overvalue QQ KK.. also oesd and even if vill has 2pair we can still suck out but its not enough times to fold out here.

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I kept thinking about it and I should have shoved. With a set I'm thinking he's losing value by raising like this if he has a set, the money goes on the turn anyway. Pretty sure I'm against KQ... or could be playing against a total monkey, saw plenty of those ;)

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding is bad.
Id prolly have shoved flop or turn.

Vill can still overvalue QQ KK.. also oesd and even if vill has 2pair we can still suck out but its not enough times to fold out here.

Yeah at 2nl in a 3 bet pot I just rip and sigh when he has us beat

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I kept thinking about it and I should have shoved. With a set I'm thinking he's losing value by raising like this if he has a set, the money goes on the turn anyway. Pretty sure I'm against KQ... or could be playing against a total monkey, saw plenty of those ;)

Your cbet seems small as well.... so it could encourage a raise from more aggro players hoping u have ak

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove after his raise and hope to hold... or hit my A to hit my 2 outer. He has a lot of hands that you are beating. Only 4 hands have you beat at the moment. 44, TT, JJ, and JT. Now he very well may have this, but without any info on villain, I say get your stack in the middle.

stoke

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not having a read on villain sure sucks but I don't think I could fold on the flop.

We could still be ahead on the flop, vill could have AT, AJ. I think if he had TT or JJ he may have 4bet. He could of had 44, if he isn't a thinking player as he was getting less than 2.1 to call your 3bet, he can ignore the 20implied as no-one is acting behind him.

The flop cbet to me is fine, a half pot bet is standard when you 3bet pre. When he raised, I would of shoved here.

B

Bluenipps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I still think this is an all in spot. Reasoning is that sometimes people will flat with QQ and KK either thinking that they are trapping or because your perceived range is Ax so when there is no A on the flop they want to get the money in. Additionally they can do this with AJ but we have blockers to limit those combos.

I do agree that the flop is kind of awkward as people will also flat with TT and JJ.

To summarise:

Your perceived range is wider than QQ+, AQ+.
Opponents range includes TT-KK, of which there are more QQKK than TTJJ combos.
Opponents range sometimes includes 'weird' holdings like AJ, KQ, AK, AQ and may play the hand in a similar way as they think your range has missed alot of the time and is trying to bluff them out of the pot.
Opponent flop raise size seems more value orientated so it is less likely that they will be doing this with the 'weird' holdings.

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm now sure that not shoving was a mistake...

Thx guys!

One question comes to mind, if both players are 200bb deep, do you play it the same way? Do you call flop and see his next move on the turn?

Folding in Poker