Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $4.71 (236 bb) 51/28/5 over 96 hands
MP: $2.04 (102 bb)
CO: $0.89 (45 bb) 47/15/0.9 over 53 hands
BU: $2.27 (114 bb)
SB: $2.18 (109 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.58 (129 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 8 T
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, CO raises to $0.04, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.02, UTG calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.13) 9 7 T (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02

Turn: ($0.19) J (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.17, UTG folds, CO raises to $0.32, Hero calls $0.15

River: ($0.83) T (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.40, BB (Hero) folds

Preflop: Can fold preflop certainly but I don't mind playing suited gappers vs loose fish. Didn't see UTG limp reraised so not afraid of getting squeezed.

Flop: UTG likes min-bet as an exploitative line (with total air or nuts). Don't mind call behind with TP and draws

Turn: It is getting interesting. I check raise hoping to get values from two pairs and sometimes QQ-AA but facing min-reraise from passive player. Folding seems too weak given I had a redraw to straight-flush.

River: Would expect villain to go all in but leaving 5.5BB behind, looks like value-heavy

I would put villain on KQ/JJ based this line. What is your view?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably a wise river fold i doubt villain is reraising the turn without 8x.But you dont really need to to raise the turn your pair has decent showdown value and you can draw getting a very good price.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm making that river call, I also think I'm putting pressure on the flop with a raise. KQ is in play, I don't think JJ is realistically in play. I think you see more postflop aggression. I actually am discounting all sets here, for a lot of reasons I just don't see a set playing out this way. Jx, KQ, and other 8x are the most likely hands at these stakes for me.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop
You have a strong but also vulnerable hand, and I don’t think, you can rely on someone else to always bet this for you. So I lean towards simply leading out for something like 2/3 pot. Check-calling is also fine, but when he only bet 2c, its not even a real bet, and you have to raise it up. Make it 15c or something.

Turn
As played I would definitely lead the turn. You cannot depend on these passive players to build the pot for you. You have to do it yourself. Someone did bet though, but again they went really small, and your check-raise was to small as well. You need to pick a size here, that sets it up for a river jam. At least 25c.

Once again he came to your help with this silly little 3-bet, and now you should just jam. There is only a half pot bet left, so when you call here, you have committed yourself to the pot. It makes no sense to put in half the effective stack and then fold, when you have something as strong as a straight. Even if you are behind to KQ, which will happen sometimes, you have a redraw to a flush.

River
Since all the money should have been in on the turn, the river almost does not matter. But I guess I am calling, even though it sucks, that you now also lose to a boat. You only need to be good 1 in 4, and it could be a chopper. Not loving the spot any more, but this is why, the money should just have gone in on the turn.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just realized after reviewing the hand again we have the straight so im calling the river rather than folding.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Numbers can be tough to interpret sometimes. Against UTGs wide PFR range I would still expect CO to be 3 betting JJ at some frequency. He doesn't look THAT passive does he? Maybe some hand histories proves he is but he could also just be limping and calling too much. He has some 3 bets and 15 PFR so maybe I give him one combo of JJ. The way the hand played I can't see him having 77 or 99 either. So it's one combo of JJ and KQ that we let get there by being rather passive ourselves with this line. I agree with pre flop. I think I would prefer x/r flop since UTG is aggro enough to cbet close to 100%, pot turn and GII if raised, eval river but probably jamming depending on action. That way KQ can't make it to the turn, we have the straight draw and backdoor flush OTF for the times someone has the over pair and gets sticky.

As played I agree with fundiver you have to still jam turn. As played the river sucks but we do block a lot of value hands, sucks if we let KQ get there but I'm calling.

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. UTG doesn't "exploitatively min-bet, mixing airball bluffs into his nutted value range", he doesn't have a clue about what's going on, so he limps and minbets, as every fish does.
2. CO is also a pretty huge fish, sitting on 45bb stack. Once again, he doesn't have a well-thought 2BB isolation raise range versus UTG limper, he is a fish that probably saw some hand that he liked and clicked the "raise" button.

On the flop I don't mind the initial check, but after the min-bet from UTG and CO call we absolutely have to raise. 1BB isn't even a bet (sorry, limit holdem players xD), and they have both shown weakness and total cluelessness. Just raise it and get some value. Sometimes you'll value-bet yourself, but it's not too bad as you have a straight draw and bdfd.

On the turn the main issue is calling his 3-bet OOP. Once again - he is a fish, you have a strong hand. Get it in and be done with it. If he has KQ or Q8 - good for him. It's much more likely that he has some sort of two pair, set, QJo, 98, etc.

The river is a call, you're getting 3:1 against some fish that could easily be valuebetting trips or some weird AA. You also block quite a few boats, which isn't all that relevant, considering the player type, but is still a good thing.