$2 NLHE 6-max: Donk bets allwais bluffes?

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simplify is better

In most poker situations there is always a "Depends", in low limits we will find players of different types, or some are very bad or others have a basic idea about poker, fold would not be bad either because this is a simple situation, but it would not be surprising if the opponent shows you a T7x type hand or a color with a J6s hand.

These hands do not deserve much analysis, if the opponent shows you T4x, I bet you don't publish this hand. I always advise being selective with the Hero Calls but in this case it was an easy decision.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi there freddydr87, thanks a lot for posting your hands! Very nice hand!
Let me jump into the analysis. I am not the owner of the truth, I am just a student as you are and most of players here too. If you have anything to add, criticize, please, don't hesitate to do it!

Preflop:

It comes in gap to Hero in MP and it elects to raise 3x because there were two recreational players ahead (SB and BB). This is a very good preflop raise because:

A) We are in position
B) We are playing against recreational players out of position

The player with a broken stack (almost 100% of time a recreational) calls. What these guys are calling with at the micros today? You can expect 50-70% calling range here. Some recreational are not even looking at your size bet, so sometimes we can explore a lot by raising more, when we know the fish has a VPIP (calling frequency) high, it is overcalling something as 60-80% of times (out of position).

PS: Note that your stack size is way too big compared to the player in the BB who called you down. So the SPR is almost screaming here.

Flop:

Pot size: 6.5 blinds
4dKhTd

BB leads for 3 blinds

BB donkeys for 1/2 Pot.

A question that should come up on our mind is:

Which hands are leading here (could be leading)?

Any flush draw, any straight draw, any pair such as 4x, Kx or Tx, any ace high with a diamond (Villain BB doesn't have any AdKd because Hero blocks it). And a lot of bluffs of a huge nonsense range of hands.

IMO this is not a good flop for bluffing. Nonetheless, Villain in the BB tells us that it is not a very good player. If I am facing a regular in the same situation I would fold right on the spot. Regulars like to lead (Donkey-Bet), more often, with values than bluffs. (more values than bluffs),
On the other hand, recreational players like to lead more often with bluffs than values, although this is not a good spot for bluffing. (more bluffs than values). So I would fold less often.
Hero has the blocker of diamonds and a strong top pair that could easily be blocking V's range. It doesn't make any sense to lead here with value hands or hands with a good showdown value in the river, hands such as 44, KQ, KT, not too much but crazy players do crazy calls so K4, T4, and never KK unless the Villain thinks that these hands would need a lot of protection here because of the Straight+Flush Draw.
Hero decides to call. I would not say it is a wrong or bad call, I like it. But you could also be shipping here easily.

Turn:

Pot size: 12.5 blinds
4dKhTd 5d

Villain BB C-bets Turn for 10 Blinds in a Pot of 12.5 blinds.

It is screaming strength, but by the same token, weaknesses. Whether I like it or not, in a spot like that I am putting all the chips in the middle in the Turn. If he/she has the Flush Nuts, good for it. If it has a AK or KQ, also good for him. If it has a pocket 44 or 55 okay, because we still have some equity in the river.
Following the same line of thought, I would either fold here or go all in versus this player because it puts a lot of chips in the Turn leaving just a couple of chips behind in its stack.
I hope it helps you!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some players have a donk flop frequency of about 85% or more. Obviously, these guys are full of it most of the time. Be careful of a donk bet frequency of about 33% and lower, as that is roughly the amount of time that any 2 cards actually connect with the flop. So, when they donk, they actually have something.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given bet sizing I would expect a bluff here most often especially on later streets. If I had air on the flop I might consider raising. But this also depends on read of villains.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some players have a donk flop frequency of about 85% or more. Obviously, these guys are full of it most of the time. Be careful of a donk bet frequency of about 33% and lower, as that is roughly the amount of time that any 2 cards actually connect with the flop. So, when they donk, they actually have something.
I dont have a HUD so i dont now the frequencies some one donk or 3bets or anythink,lol,i play by the notes i have.